NAUCC 2013 discussion thread

The Accommodations page is up!

If it is your first time attending an NAUCC, PLEASE look over the uninationals2013.com site before registering. NAUCCs can be overwhelming. To help, we have some first timer information on the site.

In short, if you can ride a uni- you should compete.

Thanks Julia for the vote of confidence. We hope so!

Registered and paid! Jacquie and I are coming. The deal is a steal! My full registration as a competitor, 3 T-shirts, 2 Final Party Dinner admissions and renewal of my USA membership, all for $180. You can’t beat it!

Question:
I signed up for geared Road racing and a bunch of other stuff I may not actually be able to enter. Will there be penalties for not entering stuff I registered for? At Unicon they are very strict about that, in order to calculate starting line-ups and scheduling.

The Geared Road racing will race with the Ungeared as well. Final details on classification as far as that goes are being sorted. We plan on recognizing the top Ungeared overall. Schlumpfs are a definite advantage. I plan on racing Geared for the Marathon, 10k, and TT at the minimum.

It is good to sign up for those events now, if you can’t make them then try to be as accurate as possible at check in for the week.

John- we’re looking forward to seeing you again!

Just registered. Can’t wait for this NAUCC !

EDIT : How come I’m the first from Canada ! I’ll spread the word here then…

Registered!!! wooo

For anyone camping, where is the “main” campground most people are staying at?

Or does anyone want to share a hotel room with my wife and I to save a bit of money?

For anyone camping, where is the “main” campground most people are staying at?

Or does anyone want to share a hotel room with my wife and I to save a bit of money?

The Google map on the Map page http://www.uninationals2013.com has been updated to give approximate distances between some of the lodgings and the venues. The Accommodations page has been updated too.

It would be great to see a common “try to get at least a tiny bit of rest over the week place” gain traction.

One thing to look into now more than later: several of the campgrounds have cabins available and some of the bed and breakfasts have the ability to rent the whole place. It could save some people some money if you get a group together.

We’ve already had people ask about staying with us. Unfortunately, we’re going to be waaaaay too busy to entertain the idea. After NAUCC is over and people see how awesome the Pennsylvania riding is, you’ll want to come back and ride with us again. Then, we’ll have a place for you!

In.

Is anyone driving from Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto area?

Yes. :slight_smile:

Please take good notes. We need to take the opposite trip next Summer.

As far as organizational checklists go, this was a very big week. The Marathon is officially approved by the proper local municipalities. The roads will not be closed to traffic, but you’ll stand more chance of encountering an animal crossing the road than an automobile. The course was chosen for its lack of traffic, scenic views, and shade during the Summer months. Some of the roads are secondary- i.e. there is about 4/10 of a mile of gravel road on the course. There is one hill that is a beast. The steep section is not long, but it is 17%ish. The day of the uni pre-ride I UPD’d (going up) with 100s (I also was coming down with a cold). I had to walk about 50 feet to remount in an acceptable section. According to the GPS we have 2000+ ft. of climbing.

Possibly the biggest news of the week though is regarding The Wheel Mill. They are fully sponsoring our Street and Trials courses. Check their site. They know how to build AMAZING structures for riding and they’re excited about NAUCC 2013. Since they are an indoor bike park, MUnis are also welcome. We’re going to put together some special offers for Competitors to use the park throughout the week (as if there isn’t enough else to do, but at least this is another option). We’re also looking towards extending the welcome before the 21st and after the 27th.

Early bird registration of $85 is good until April 20th. It then becomes $105 until June 15th. After that it’s only on site and will cost $130.

Remember: one price covers you for the entire week of competitions and workshops. If you attend any outside of unicycling events you’ll see what a bargain this is.

Thanks all for getting the accommodations thread going. www.Visitbutlercounty.com has a lot of resources.

I don’t know which category to pick for Individual Artisic Freestyle competition:

Adult Novice (18+)
Adult Intermediate (18+)
Advanced
Expert

Is intermediate same advanced, or lower? Is Adult competition not the same event as just “advanced”?

Never mind, I just read the IUF rulebook.

I have a couple questions for those who are familiar with IUF Rules.

One question is in the IUF Rules under safety equipment, requirements are gloves, are we allowed to wear half gloves or are we required to wear full fingered gloves.

The reason I am asking is right now I use (when I use) Hillbilly half finger glove/wrist protectors and will have to upgrade to other gloves if they need to be full finger.

Also when it says no jewelry does that pertain to all events, including muni events. Do I need to take earrings out? :astonished:

Thanks

emile, with your skill levels you’re definitely at least advanced if not expert.

The gloves requirement usually means covers the palms. Glove/wrist guard combo’s are fine, as are half-fingered gloves.

Also when it says no jewelry does that pertain to all events, including muni events. Do I need to take earrings out?

Keep them small. We wouldn’t want to see a earlobe ripped off by snagging a tree branch with a circus sized hoop.

Oh sweet! Thanks Max! :slight_smile:

Thanks Dave, I’m not opposed to taking them out if necessary just want to bring a container or something if necessary to remove.

Thanks guys, looking very forward to meeting, riding and learning with everyone!

any piercings/jewelry under your shirt or bike shorts are probably OK, if the outline of the jewelry isn’t too prominent :thinking: :astonished: :sunglasses: