NAUCC 2004 to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah July 12 - July 18, 2004

Since the venues have not yet been announced, I think they are still up in the air. I believe there were multiple possible locations, and they are working out the details to see which one(s) they will be able to use.

This will be followed by the establishment of one or more recommended hotels people can stay at (or possibly college dorms). Dorms are usually pretty cheap, but you get what you pay for. With hotels, we usually try to get a convention discount on one, though it doesn’t often amount to much, because we’re not that big a group.

I definitely want to be more involved with workshops this year, as I am less involved in other stuff. First I have to determine what dates of the convention I’ll be at, as I may not be able to attend the whole thing (UNICON is like 10 days, plus we want some vacation time in Japan!).

I believe Rolf Thompson is the one that offered to be in charge of MUni events. The best way to guarantee a Trials (or other) event is to contact him and offer to help set one up. Trials requires a lot more setup than other events.

Sometimes I come to the Forum and it doesn’t seem like there is one new post in a day, then when you want to find a thread, from a few days ago it’s 8 pages back!

I just got my schedule for the year, and I will have off the 14th through the 18th. So I should be able to get a flight out the 13th and participate in a majority of the events this year. Can’t wait.

Wow my 21st birthday is right in the middle of the event (july 14), I might have to go now.

Mike

I am so stoaked for this event, I never thought when Carol said that she was pushing for Salt Lake that it would actually come through, that’s awesome! I think I might have to skip out on Moab if I want to go to nationals, money issues… plus (unless someone wants to lend me a muni wheelset) I won’t have a MUni by the time Moab rolls around. :frowning: I am mainly excited to meet all’yall and actually find out what you are really like (personality doesn’t show much through text) well, I am to be off for the day, Au Revoir!
Jonathan Ware

Speaking of Moab, it just occurred to me that we could probably drive down to Moab for MUni events almost as fast as we’re going to get to the MUni area in Japan from UNICON (by bus or train, several hours). Hmmm… :stuck_out_tongue:

While you are correct about that John, you failed to mention that there are excellent MUni opportunities that are minutes from downtown Salt Lake City. The Bonneville shoreline trail is one of my favorites.

Personally I’d like to avoid having to travel too far for any particular event(s). Especially since NAUCC will be practically in my backyard.

-mg

What convention am I gonna go to? Can’t decide. Can’t decide! Brain annurism! (Someone got that refrence, right?:wink: Think tenacity)

Seriously, I wanna do Moab and this, but it looks like it’s one or the other. Any advice on which I should do?

Muni weekend = only muni maybe trails.

NAUCC= all types of Unicycling Muni, Trails, Freestyle, Track, Long distance, Games(hockey,basketball) guest performers, Vendors(Bedford,Unicycle.com)

Depending on what you like would determine which would be better for you to go to. They definitly would both be fun.

That’s the nice thing about the Salt Lake area (called the Wasatch Front). It’s built right next to the mountains, so anywhere there is a canyon, there’s probably a trail. Plus, like Mgrant mentioned, the Bonneville Shoreline trail goes most of the length of both Salt Lake and Utah counties.

Moab = riding unicycles on the friggin’ Slickrock Trail.

NAUCC = not riding unicycles on the friggin’ Slickrock Trail.

But, as with all medical advice, it’s smart to get a second opinion. :smiley:

??? So is that Good or bad? Riding on the slick rock trail? I know in my Jeep it would be good. On my Uni I think it would be good, but I am not so sure by your post.

That’s why it’s good to get a second opinion.
Slickrock is the COOLEST place to do MUni. Because of the amount of traction that Slickrock offers (does that sound odd to anyone else), you can ride up and down virtual walls. It makes for some interesting rides, and some really cool photo ops.

So, to translate tomblackwood, riding Slickrock is good(yay!); not riding Slickrock is bad (boo!)

An accurate translation… :smiley:

Re: NAUCC 2004 to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah July 12 - July 18, 2004

In article <gerblefranklin.zssbc@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
gerblefranklin <gerblefranklin@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)What convention am I gonna go to? Can’t decide. Can’t decide! Brain
)annurism! (Someone got that refrence, right?:wink: Think tenacity)
)
)Seriously, I wanna do Moab and this, but it looks like it’s one or the
)other. Any advice on which I should do?

I went to both last year, and enjoyed Moab a lot more than NAUCC.
NAUCC spends a lot of time on “old-school” unicycling–artistic and
track–that frankly doesn’t interest me much. And the basketball and
hockey were poorly organized and marginalized. Now, it sounds like
Salt Lake will be more MUni-oriented than Minneapolis was, so it might
be different this year–but I’m still definitely going to Moab, and
only possibly going to Salt Lake.

In addition, Moab is an incredible, beautiful place, while Salt Lake City
is a depressing, ugly place.
-Tom

Re: Re: NAUCC 2004 to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah July 12 - July 18, 2004

Hey, wait a second! Salt Lake is, well, okay, I guess you’re right. But we do have mountains nearby, when you can see them through the smog.

I just read on the site that you need to be a member of the USA to participate in NUC. Is this the same thing as NAUCC?

Salt Lake City depressing?

What part of Salt Lake City were you IN? I’ve always enjoyed greatly any time spent in Salt Lake City. I will, however, take natural beauty over man-made any time. And Carol, the events all sound great! If there’s any way I can get myself and five kids there, I’ll do it!:slight_smile:

Re: Re: NAUCC 2004 to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah July 12 - July 18, 2004

Boy, I can’t agree with that one at all. Salt Lake is a clean, beautiful city with an outdoor mountain setting equaled by few cities in the US. If downtown SLC to the top of the Snowbird tram at 11,000 feet in less than an hour (depending on the tram line) is depressing, I’ll take some more of that misery.

I did two stints in SLC, 8 years each. The only thing I don’t miss about the place when I’m gone is its friggin politics. Now that is depressing.

Yes James,
NUM (National Unicyle Meet) and NUC (National Unicycle Convention) are old names for NAUCC (North American Unicycling Championships and Convention). As the event grows, so does the name.
Hope to see you all there.