My uni's size

I am wondering, most people seem to talk about 20" as a small wheel for a uni, I measured mine and it seems to be about 15 inches(do you measure from the rim or the tyre?) either way it is a lot smaller that 20 inches. Also, it is fully extended and only comes to the bottom of my crotch area when I stand beside it, do I have a kid’s unicycle?

The new one I am thinking of getting is a 24", am I going to find this huge compared to my current one, or will it be easier to ride? I did do a search, but I think maybe this isn’t an adult size unicycle ^^;

you will probably find the 24 inch uni easier to ride

Thats good then (: I’m hoping I may be able to try a 24" at the Southwest uni meet if possible. I’m doing quite well with mine today, I could freemount until it started raining…

Check the sidewall of the tire. Usually there will be markings indicating the size of the tire.

Something like:

20x1.5
or
16x1.25

This should clear up any confusion about the “actual” size of the wheel.

-mg

Ah ha! (: thanks. Its 16 x 1.75 – quite small hey?

Just a little, but getting a 24" or 20" should be good for you, less pedaling that way.

My 5 year old rides a 16", the 7 YO rides an 18", the smallest I ride is a 20" for hockey/skills. For an adult a 16" is definitely on the small side!

Re: My uni’s size

20" is small for getting anywhere. It’s just right for Freestyle (tricks), Trials, and most people use it for hockey.

There are two answers here. The main one is yes, especially since you found it’s a 16" wheel. All 16" unicycles are built for kids to ride. None that I’m aware of are aimed directly at adult use. Generally your pedals will tend to hit the ground when you turn, and these cycles are generally built lightweight and simple.

In the lower price ranges, all unicycles are kids’ unicycles. They are built out of the same parts as a 16", but with bigger wheels, and not designed for heavy riders or lots of heavy use.

Until very recently, 24" was as big as mass-produced unicycles got. They’re fine for riding around, and you can still do lots of tricks on them so they make good all-around unicycles as well. But naturally a 26", 28" or 29" (700c) wheel will get you places faster. Also, 24" is generally a juvenile wheel size as far as the bike industry is conceerned. There is much less to choose from, and the quality of rims and tires is mostly midrange or lower. 26" is the size of a mountain bike wheel, and 700c (which is 28 & 29") is the size of most of the rest of the world’s bike wheels. There is much more quality to choose from, and a huge selection of tires and rims.

The unicycle world is just getting into the 700c wheel size, which I think will become very popular for people who want to go places. Also I am hoping it will become the standard size for unicycle (track) racing in the future.

So a 24" will be good for all-around riding, but if you are more interested in going places, or riding trails, you might want to look into something a little bigger.

Re: Re: My uni’s size

I dunno a lot about this, but don’t circus performer’s often use very small wheels?

Even if they do, I’m guessing Poppie isn’t a circus performer… ( : I think a 24" would be just aboot perfect for you.

Thankyou for the info people (: Maybe this is why my legs get so tired riding into town!
I did get my uni a couple of years ago as a present, so its probably a cheap one and a kid’s starter one(I cant find a make on it) but I will keep hold of it, it is the smallest one I have seen, in my college at least (: I think I will get a 24" when I can afford it.

By the way, whilst looking to see if it had a make, I found the ‘L’ and ‘R’ on the cranks, is the left supposed to be on my left when I’m riding the unicycle or looking at it??

While you are riding.

It should be on your left when you’re riding the unicycle. If it isn’t then the screws can sometimes get a little loose from what I’ve noticed on my friend’s unicycle.

Some cheap-unicylcle-putting-together-guy can’t read then ^^;

If the unicycle has a definite front and a back, then it has a definite left and right. Just like with directions, no matter which way you’re facing, East is East, West is West.

If the cranks are on the wrong side, the easiest thing to do is to turn the seat around. The only problem with that is if the tire is directional. But I don’t think many cheap 16 inch tires will be directional. As previously stated, riding with the cranks on the wrong side can result in your pedals coming loose and falling off while riding.

If you are looking for a uni to ride more then a couple miles, you will need a 24 inch as a minimum. A 26er might be better if you want to go more then a couple miles.

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:24:50 -0600, “loosejello” wrote:

>If the unicycle has a definite front and a back, then it has a definite
>left and right.

Unless it doesn’t have a definite top and bottom!

I either have seen a picture of, or have dreamt about, a unicycle that
could be ridden upside down. Somehow the wheel could serve as a seat,
or the other way around.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

Re: Re: Re: My uni’s size

Yes. If they ride them hard, the cycles are probably custom made. If they don’t, but they use them in every show, they are still probably custom made. Otherwise, they can be store-bought.

Sascha Frisch, a famous clown with the Moscow Circus when it was appearing in the U.S. in the early 1990s, used a 12" unicycle that fit in a suitcase. I can’t remember the sequence, but the unicycle either came out of the unicycle before He rode it off, or he rode it on (while carrying the suitcase), then packed it in there. That uni was custom made.

Re: Re: My uni’s size

That Idea’s taken, Here

hey, that there’s a left handed smiley, that’s my trade mark!!
( :

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:42:17 -0600, “PhilS” wrote:

>That Idea’s taken, ‘Here’ (http://tinyurl.com/6kvtj)

Not what I meant.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs