My Uni's Creaking bad

When i ride my uni it clicks badly. Its not the cranks as these have been put on properly with grease and arnt moving, as far as i can tell its a loosness around the lollypop bearings holders where the frame connects, any suggestions, its not lethal, but annoying the hell out of me!

JAmes

I had the same problem a little while ago. I too thought it was my cranks at first, but upon closer inspection, it turned out to be the bearing. Take off your wheel, and turn the bearing by hand, and then see if thats the prob. Good luck.
-David Kaplan

if you have a Profile crank,welcome to the club of, (creak “o” rama)

mine sings like a parot

James

It could be a few things. Check the frame where the bearing holders bolt
on. It could be cracked between the bolt holes. Loosen the bolts and check
for cracks. It could also be loose spokes. Check to see if they are loose.
You can hear loose spokes more when idling.

Hope this helps.

Darren

> When i ride my uni it clicks badly. Its not the cranks as these have
> been put on properly with grease and arnt moving, as far as i can
> tell its a loosness around the lollypop bearings holders where the
> frame connects, any suggestions, its not lethal, but annoying the
> hell out of me!
>
> JAmes
>
> –
> jimmytrialsrider Posted via the Unicyclist Community -
> http://unicyclist.com/forums

Mine made a creaking sound and it turned out to be a very loose pedal.

Darrell

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:39:24 -0500, Darren Bedford
<darrenbedford@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>You can hear loose spokes more when idling.

That depends. You can hear loose spokes more if they go through cyclic
loading. If you’re idling, some spokes have more load variation than
others due to the fact that you are not making complete revolutions. I’ve
had creaking loose spokes too and heard them best when quietly riding.

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked
automagically from a database:” “PPP, VULNERABILIY, 1*”

Me too. I got the crank fixed that had a stinking cauter or cotter pin or something that got stipped. I had to buy a new one at a bike shop but mine still creaks. I don’t pay much attention to it though, because my uni’s about 5 years old. my brother got it a while ago so basically it’s a peice of junk.

worked it out

its not cracks or spokes or crank problems, its not even the bearings. its where those damn lolly pop bearing holders connect to the frame. as i peddle the wheel moves slightly left then right, causing the bottom of the frame to click against the bearing holders. I found a solution. i wrapped electrical tape round the bearing holders so it makes a tight fit into the frame. no creaking.
Dodgy design for trials though, but should keep me going untill i can affford a new frame!

james

I was worried about the same thing a few months ago, turns out it was just
some cheap pedals I had too. When i replaced them with another pair the
creaking stopped. That’s the first thing i look for now.

It doesn’t bother me if its the pedal itself, because at least it’s not
damaging any other part of the unicycle. I was initially concerned it
might be the spokes or the bearings or something else that would damage
another part of the uni, and make it expensive…

Fortunately not.

All,

I dont know a lot about my own hardware, but I have a loud creak in my Profile also. Do any of you think you can identify what the problem might be from this?

http://lwb.org/uni/vids-people/squeaky.mpg

I need to get to Memphis to see if Tommy can figure it out. I wonder if my local Bike shop would know what to look for? Hmm.

Lewis

From the way it is squeaking it could be a bearing that is either binding or has seized. If the bearing caps on the frame are too tight the bearing will bind. If the bearing cartridge has been damaged the bearings inside will not move freely causing the bearings to seize or bind.

The way to check would be to take the bearings off the axle and spin them in your hand. You would be able to feel if a cartridge bearing is shot.

When putting the cranks back on use plenty of anti-seize on the splines, spacer washers, and axle (including the area under the bearings).

The Profile setup can also develop squeaks if the crank bolts are not tight. The whole assembly is held together by the cranks squeezing the washers and bearings against the hub. If the crank bolts are not tight then things will slip and squeak.

A bike shop that has experience with Profile cranks would be able to take it apart and figure out what is wrong. They’ll be able to figure it all out real quick. It’s just a standard Profile setup. Nothing too complicated even for a part time junior bike mechanic. Just remind them to use lots of anti-seize.

john_childs

John,

Thanks for the advice. I may call my local bike shops and ask them if they normally work on Profile components.

Lewis

james,

my savage did the same thing as what you describe, and it took me a day or so to figure out what the clicking was. like you, i also knew it was coming from the lollipop area but wasn’t sure where at first.

good call on the electrical tape… that should hold 'er for a while at least. on mine, i think the clicking back and forth weakened that area of the frame [search for “frame cracked” or something like, here on unicyclist.com boards] quicker than normal. a hose clamp, as mentioned on that thread, has worked great for me so far, but the savage is no longer my primary uni.

have fun with your trials,
John M

Hey Lewis,

Don’t let some bike mechanic work on that beautiful Hunter of yours. Get that baby up here to Memphis and let me work on it. I was so frustrated by the clicks, pops, et al. but now my Wilder / Profile is stealth quiet.

While everybody else is in Seattle we’ll be here TCB (Elvis talk for Take’n Care of Business)!