My unicycle fell off a cliff...

Better it than me I suppose.

I was at my favorite muni spot, Belle Isle, riding along the edge of an old quarry with a shear drop of about 30 ft. I wasn’t trying to be a dare devil or anything, in fact I think I was about 5 ft. or more from the actual edge, along which run two metal cables to act as a fence.

I simply hopped onto a log and instead of hopping off the other side, I slipped and lost grasp of my uni. It proceeded to roll right under the cables and over the edge, and then…THUD! It came to rest on a trail (thank God no one was on it!) directly below and along a reservoir of sorts.

It was all in one piece, and as I approached it, I thought maybe everything would be ok. No such luck. The tire was pressed up against one of the forks, and the bottom half of the main cap of that fork was a little loose, but there was no play in the frame itself.

Now, when forced to rotate, the tire remains pressed against the same fork with more or less the same pressure. This leads me to believe the problem is not in the wheel, but the frame.

So I took the frame off and put it on the other way. Sure enough, the other side of the tire presses against the fork. However, the frame does not appear warped to my untrained eye.

So what do you think? This happen to anyone else? Could it be fixable with a vise? If so, which way should I bend it?

(It’s a Yuni frame, affectionately named “Hell on Paint” by someone on this forum.)

I recomend whipping out a measuring tape, and level.

Welcome to the Cliffside Retrieval Club. :slight_smile:

I was thinking that it could be the bearings slipping off the hub, but you’ve got a Profile hub so that’s not the problem.

Could be a wonked wheel. You can take the wheel to a bike shop and have them put it in a truing stand to see if it’s still true. Be nice and take the tire off first so they don’t have to deal with a big oversized tire. And take the cranks off too cause those just get in the way too.

Once you get the wheel, tire, and cranks off you can spin it in your hands to see if there’s an obvious wobble.

You can use a yard stick to see if the frame is generally straight. Line up the yard stick with the neck of the frame and extend it down between the legs. The yard stick will give you a guide to be able to see if the neck and the fork legs are still in alignment.

Thats just bad luck, at least it wasn’t you catapulted over the edge…

If you think your frame is bent, and you know how, then there’s a pretty good tutorial & set of info on unicycle.uk.com (link) on how the straighten your frame. Hopefully you’ll be good as new in a few days.

Loose.

Thanks guys, very helpful

Hope you’ll still ride this Saturday.:slight_smile:

Oh, I’ll definately ride Saturday, just might not be on this uni. If need be, I guess I’ll just have to settle for your Blizzard muni. But I’m sure I’ll manage somehow. :roll_eyes:

Cool, can trip come? Hope the weather is reasonable.
check your PM’s