My Stupid Clown Adventure

Ok! First some Backstory. This is from a post called “I think I commited a Uni-Sin”

OK! Now that that is out of the way. I got a letter with some pictures. So REJOICE and take part in my shame. I’m still not happy i did this and the poor quality of these pictures only matches the poor quality of my… soul… or someting. I’m not very good at artistic metaphor.

I Did get a nice note though.

Ooh! Here’s another

IMHO you would have been better off going all the way wearing face paint and a wig. Wearing just the clown suit looks weird.

Also, I don’t see anything wrong with riding a Uni in a clown suit. Though many people associate Clown/Unicycles I don’t think anything you did further perpetuated that idea. It already exists, and will always exist because riding a Uni makes a good visual for the Circus Performing Arts.

When people see you riding your Uni with a Helmet, Pads and a the tire is a Gazz, they can clearly see that this thing is built for a whole different purpose. As the sport grows the # of impressions people will have of Unicyclists as serious athletes will increase, and only that will slow down the questions like “Are you a clown?”

It’s okay, there was no clown in those pictures. Just a unicyclist wearing a “clown suit.” The one-piece clown suit like that is more of a haloween costume than a real clown “costume,” which is better done as a collection of mis-matched and exaggerated “regular” clothes. With no makeup, and (I’m guessing) no character, and especially no giant shoes, you were merely a human with a partial clown facade.

So rejoice! If you were ashamed by your choice of wardrobe, you can change that before your next performance. You were only a clown by the loosest interpretation of the word. For future shows, try wearing a suit & tie. You can even mix odd colors. Just not too odd, lest you find yourself sliding back toward the “clown vortex.”

bugman

When people see you riding your Uni with a Helmet, Pads and a the tire is a Gazz, they can clearly see that this thing is built for a whole different purpose.

You’d think so wouldn’t you? However some people will still ask if you’re in the circus.

I certainly don’t think xwonka should feel guilty about wearing a clown suit; he’s experienced it and drawn his conclusions. He’s also usefully posted his experience and thoughts on it.

In my opinion a unicyclist should no more be associated with clown suits than a cyclist, a large number of the public are under a misconception which is hopefully dying; I believe that if we refrain from wearing clown suits whilst uni-ing, that death will be facilitated.

you look like a big candy corn on one wheel… :smiley:

Dave, I agree that the way people see us will facilitate the change in peoples preconcieved notions about unicycling. If the only other person you had ever seen on a Uni was a clown, then “Are you a clown?” is understandable. Over time people are going to have more and more exposure to trial/muni type unicyclists the less they will ask that question.

If I ride day in day out at my local park, I expect eventually a lot of people will understand the extreme nature of what I am doing, and loose the preconcieved stereotype. Maybe someday there will be dozens of us at the same park reinforcing that image.:smiley:

bugman

Dave, I agree that the way people see us will facilitate the change in peoples preconcieved notions about unicycling. If the only other person you had ever seen on a Uni was a clown, then “Are you a clown?” is understandable. Over time people are going to have more and more exposure to trial/muni type unicyclists the less they will ask that question.

If I ride day in day out at my local park, I expect eventually a lot of people will understand the extreme nature of what I am doing, and loose the preconcieved stereotype. Maybe someday there will be dozens of us at the same park reinforcing that image.

When that day comes I wonder if unicycling clowns are going to be harrased by the public constantly demanding ‘do a six foot drop like that Kris Holm bloke?’

Re: My Stupid Clown Adventure

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:09:51 -0500, bugman
<bugman.ozajn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>If I ride day in day out at my local park, I expect eventually a lot of
>people will understand the extreme nature of what I am doing, and loose
>the preconcieved stereotype. Maybe someday there will be dozens of us
>at the same park reinforcing that image.:smiley:

And then they will ask the unicycling clown in the circus “Hey, are
you a Mountain Unicyclist?” :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Bamboo can grow three feet in twenty-four hours.

Re: My Stupid Clown Adventure

“Klaas Bil” <klaasbil_remove_the_spamkiller_@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:3eea78f7.4425124@newszilla.xs4all.nl…
> –
> Bamboo can grow three feet in twenty-four hours.
>

Maybe it can, maybe it can, but apart from making freemounting easier is
there any other advantage?

Naomi :wink:

I think some people get too uptight about appearance. I don’t care what people think of me and would quite happily go MUniing in a clown costume just to see the looks on people’s faces. (although the baggyness might get in the way). Just relax! So some people laugh at you, call you a stupid clown etc. Who cares??? It doesn’t affect the way you live your life so it isn’t important.

Well said Sam (foolish!)

Joe,

Hear, hear! Making yourself look like an idiot is fun! As long as not everyone thinks you’re an idiot. That would get kind of lonely.

Re: Re: My Stupid Clown Adventure

That has got to be the funniest thing i have ever read. LOL

In a semi-related topic, I once climbed a mountain wearing a clown nose. I don’t think I changed any perceptions that day, but I did get some interesting looks. Talk about extreme clowning!