My progress so far

I have been practising for about 3 weeks now and can go around my block 1 and 1/2 times without falling off (about 200 meters, maybe).

This is me on my way down the driveway.

This is a video of me unicycling

http://members.cox.net/alexbuck/uni.mpg

can anyone tell me how to go around turns without flailing my arms, or does it just take practise?

-Alex

sorry the video is not working, im trying to get it up as soon as possible

OK its sort of working now but it gets cut off in the middle. I will try and fix it tommorow.

Good job!

Learning to unicycle is very fun. Mostly though, I just posted to say those shorts kickass. LOOK at those things! :slight_smile: Also, I think there’s some tips on turning at the tips and tutorials site of that one guys… anybody got a link? I don’t know it off the top of my head.

Re: My progress so far

Welcome here!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:13:33 -0500, “no_limit” wrote:
>can anyone tell me how to go around turns without flailing my arms, or
>does it just take practise?

Mostly it just takes practice. Not only practice turning, but also
practice riding without flailing arms helps. For practice, you could
try holding a ball with both hands.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the comfort of Savage unis

1st of all, nice house.

2nd of all, nice shorts.

3rd of all, nice singing in the background of the video.

4th of all, try practicing riding with your hands clasped behind your back (once you get good enough). it will really smooth out your riding once you get used to turning without your arms

-grant

Alex:

Great to see other rock climbers jumping on board here. I’ve been trying to encourage the climbing crowd to try the one-wheel thing but have had few takers so far.

Just keep that wheel going and everything will work out in time. If you can practice an hour a day you’ll have the basics licked in no time.

I wrote you a private message.

John Long

hey, all. fellow newb here, and i found that flailing can be eliminated by leaning into yer turns with yer cycle, but keeping yer body vertical.

hey, is that a torker? i think i might have that same cycle.

That doesnt make much sence.

Do you mean to stay stay straight with the unicycle while you lean?

What’s with the bags of trees in the backround dude?

we were trimming the hedge that day, why?

by the way, munitune, the orange things on the shorts are goldfish

You might tie your shoes and tuck the lace ends under the laces so you don’t get road rash on your face. It never happened to me, although you could never tell by looking, but I found out about the possibility about a year into riding.

Turns: just gradually try to go around smaller diameter circles. Start huge, even just arcs in the street, weaving to the right and left. I wouldn’t worry too much about it at the moment, distance is more important. Try to find a track to go around, or some long flat stretch of sidewalk where you can get up to a few miles a day. Maybe more important than circles is just the sharp 90.

Good luck. Keep us informed.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve only fallen off once, badly, and I just scraped up my hands and legs a bit, I was OK and got back on.

Thanks