My Numb Behind Needs Some Help.

I previously read about a unicycle seat that is pressurized and adjustable. Can anybody give me information on where I can find one. The bike shops in Nashville know nothing about it. I actually need this for a multi-speed unicycle which I built out of a mountain bike in an attempt to get a little exercise while one wheeling, by choosing a gear that keeps my heart rate cranked up. But I have the same trouble with numbness that I have on a unicycle (because I’m not good enough to do this standing up), and this is the main distance limiting factor (currently 34 miles at a little over 3 hours). My back side would appreciate any help in improving the blood supply.
Thanks

What you need is an air seat. There are several different styles of air seats. Different people make different modifications to the design to suit their needs and comfort.

Here is a page that describes making an air seat from a Miyata seat. <http://www.unicycling.org/airseat/>

Something that you can do to improve the air seat is to put the tube in some sort of pillow case. The pillow case constrains the tube in a somewhat hourglass shape to match the shape of the seat. Without the pillow case the tube will want to bulge out in the middle and doesn’t want to stay in the shape of a unicycle seat. A little work with a sewing machine and you can make a good air pillow case. Unicycle.com sells a dog-bone shaped pillow case that you fold over to create a double layer air seat.

john_childs

a pair of cycling shorts will also do u the world of good

multi geared unicycle???

yea really,no more air seat infomation sould be revealed untill Unibiker explains the "multi-speed uni he made. :slight_smile:

Isn’t there some fancy new seat coming out soon that will be better than the myata seat?

Ya. The Velo.

What did I start here? I just need a better seat.

And thanks for the response on the Miyata and the Velo. I’ll check into both of them. But if you’re interested in the unibike, here is some info on it. But it’s a long learning curve. Practice in the grass! With protective gear!
How can I make this short?
Well, if you’re in a hurry, this probably won’t be learnable anyway.

This project started out as an additional challenge when the unicycles started collecting dust. I found that riding a mountain bike on one wheel was next to impossible; therefore challenging. Braking must be used (instead of pedaling backwards) to teeter forward on the balance point. I installed an extra set of brakes on the rear when I found that one brake was not powerful enough for adequate control on steep downhills. The extra brake is operated by an additional lever on the bars. I tilted the seat forward so it would be level while the unibike is vertical. I experimented with a million seats and still have not found one that doesn’t limit my riding time. A speedometer is run off of the rear wheel for obvious reasons. Front wheel is removed (optional, but on windy days, the front wheel catches enough wind to adversely affect the steering). A 16-inch wheel will still provide safety in the event of a mistake, but is affected much less by the wind than the standard 26-inch wheel. As with a unicycle, falls without a front wheel can be painful if ridden faster than you can run. Therefore, high speed riding (at least for this old man) should include the use of a small front wheel. It’s in the air from start to finish on most rides (usually 10 to 20 miles, max 34 to date), but when a wind gust forces an unpreventable fall, I don’t have to pick gravel out of my teeth.
Mounting is the opposite of a unicycle, since I cannot pedal backwards. The unibike is leaned forward of the balance point, and is started by pedaling forward. From that point, you coordinate pedaling while in front of the balance point with braking while behind the balance point.
Yes, this means that it can’t be ridden backwards like a unicycle, and I can’t teeter in place, but the additional challenge is well worth the trade-off. Forward momentum must be maintained in order for the braking action to teeter the unibike forward. Steering is done by leaning, and is also more challenging than on a standard unicycle. The shifting works better with friction shifters, since the index shifters (which I spent way to much time trying to perfect) are not precise enough to depend on. Sometimes they shift immediately; sometimes it takes a couple of revolutions. The friction shifters provide better feel of when the chain will jump which is important at high speeds, and they allow tweaking on the fly when a derailleur or gear is dragging. The gears allow for unibiking up and down steep hills, around tight turns, and cruising along up to 25mph, which provides a good cardio workout, while the concentration factor keeps your mind off of the work you’re doing.
I hope this helps your curiosity.

Jeff

movies!

alright, time for you to get some movies of this contraption in action, but it sounds basically like doing a “wheelie” with a bike for an extended period…where are you arms during all this? and where are the gear shifting things? sounds crazy/awesome

Re: My Numb Behind Needs Some Help.

Unibiker,

Sounds like a fantastic thing! I can imagine it must be very tiring to
ride while braking most of the time, or have you developed such fine
control by now that you don’t need the brake very much?

Also, you must get even weirder comments that a “nomal” unicyclist (if
that isn’t a contradictio in terminis). Hey you have another wheel!

Klaas Bil

RancidFlannel,
Sorry. No movies at this point. Those who have caught me on video haven’t offered me copies. As for the hands and gear shifters, one hand or the other has to stay on the bar for brake control. The shifters are close enough to allow shifting while monitoring the brake. Brake monitoring is critical. Falling off the back at speed is not my idea of fun exercise.

Klaas Bil,
No, I don’t brake while pedaling. Just occasionally to teeter back to the front side of the balance point; and when slowing down or coasting down hills. And yes, I get quite a few more comments than when unicycling. The kids love it. It’s nice to provide them with some excitement.

Jeff