My Nimbus X

I got it off UDC a couple of months ago.

I made a couple of substitutions. A KH Fusion Freeride saddle, red JC pedals, and pedal protectors.

I already had a Nimbus gel and was looking for some more comfort, so I asked them to substitue the Freeride, I had to pay the $14 diff. UDC would not take the plastic pedals off the order, so I payed full price for the JC’s.

When it arrived I assembled it and tried like crazy for over 1 1/2 hrs. to get the protectors on the JC’s w/ little success. I finally cut off part of the nubs put them on the best I could and secured them w/ duct tape. The tape lasted for a couple of days, then I used some of a friends zip ties, two per pedal. I’ve had to replace three of them.

The spokes on the rim were horribly loose and I had to tighten all of them 3-4full turns. I started w/ 1 turn each all the way arround, one side then the other, then repeated w/ 1/2 turns, then 1/4 as they started to get tight. I’m not great at trueing, but that seemed pretty good, same as delivered, but loose.

The uni is very light and easy to spin in my hands (can’t really do any tricks yet), strangely even easier than my lighter learner.

The Kenda Kikzumbut tire is very light and has a thin sidewall. I like to ride my other tires at 30 psi but to get a similar ride I need to raise the pressure to 45. I hit the rim much easier than other tires I’ve used and it wanders quite a bit. I theorize the wandering wouldn’t be much of an isue w/ over 60 psi. At lower air pressures, like 30-45 it is quite springy.

It road just like my learner w/ that seat but, except for the tire, it wasn’t flexing all over the place. On my learner I could feel the wheel, frame, cranks, and post all flex. Once I put on a tire more to my liking there was no flex anywhere that I could detect.

I started off using my Nimbus gell saddle, same ride, just no anoying flex. A couple of days of riding I put on the KH and it’s definately the most comfortable seat I’ve tried, much less numbness. (DX, LX, CX, Nimbus Gel, KH air, and now KH Freeride) On drops and bumpy rides my but and back get more sore than w/ the KH air, but not as much as the Gell. On the downside the Freeride is a lot harder to hold onto for SIF.

I thought it would take some getting used to the 114 cranks and I’d have to temporarily go to a rail, but it just took 20 or 30 pedal strokes. They are much lighter than even my 102 mm steel cranks, and have a give me a higher top speed than my 125’s but I have difficulty pedaling fast and consistantly smooth (more of a problem on the 102’s), so my average speed is higher on my 125’s. W/ 114’s it was easier to learn SIF than on the 102’s or the 125’s.

I ride a night a lot so I added an X on each side above the “Nimbus” sticker and along the rim w/ reflective tape. White on the left, and red on the right. I looks sweet. I wish I had a camera.

yea, i love my nimbus-X

designed perfectly for freestyle, but i probably should go get the wheel trued(its pretty close to true anyways)

to help with spinning the cranks i would suggest learning to ride one footed with each foot…might help you with smooth pedaling…

my left pedal was creaking when i first got it, but UDC replaced it…

i would not go to metal pedals on a freestyle uni, by the way…perhaps a muni or trials uni, but i would still rather replace pedals as they wore out than have the extra weight(i don’t ride wet weather too much) and lose the occasional peice of shin-bone…

sorry, had to post this, you sayed some stuff insulting my uni!

yea, i love my nimbus-X

designed perfectly for freestyle, but i probably should go get the wheel trued(its pretty close to true anyways)

to help with spinning the cranks i would suggest learning to ride one footed with each foot…might help you with smooth pedaling…

my left pedal was creaking when i first got it, but UDC replaced it…

i would not go to metal pedals on a freestyle uni, by the way…perhaps a muni or trials uni, but i would still rather replace pedals as they wore out than have the extra weight(i don’t ride wet weather too much) and lose the occasional peice of shin-bone…

sorry, had to post this, you sayed some stuff insulting my uni!

post #2- sort of…

I got my nimbus x a little more than a month ago. I had the same problem as you with loose spokes. They were loose enough to creak a lot while riding, but a local bike shop fixed it up nice.

i have a nimbus x also. mine had loose spokes too which really annoyed me. I learned 360 unispins and wheel walk on it. The frame is really nice since it is so small and close to the tire.

The loose spokes seem like a very common problem. I’m going to email UDC and let them know if they don’t already.

my friends nimbus X spokes also come loose a lot

W/ spokes that loose I didn’t want to even try to ride it w/o tightening them. That was the first thing I did.

I can’t get my feet off the pedals and back on. W/ every plastic pedal I’ve tried (4), my feet slip off like crazzy. :angry:

nimbus x huh…well I have a D…X
what now!!

you’ll get a cookie :roll_eyes:

woah, is the nimbus X the same thing as the nimbus deluxe?

if not can someone post the link to the nimbus X?

i’m looking to buy a 36" and want to find the best one i can:)

the nimbus-x is an awsome 20" freestyle uni with a very common problem of being shipped with loose spokes…dunno why you’re thinking of a coker…

superheavy uni…