My newest 36er adventure begins today...

If you were to hit anywhere near that speed on your [coasting] 36er, you wouldn’t get a ticket, but I’m sure you would get a very nice eulogy! :slight_smile: :wink:

We can dream can’t we? :smiley:

To coast: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub; For in that coast of uni what dreams may come…

Lol

The specter of rain (and it’s effect on closing the trails I ride) reared its head and put me over to the top to order another freewheel hub to convert my 36". Hopefully I can convince my local bike shop to do some more work for me.

Wow, I never realized Hamlet was a uni rider! (You are a literary fellow!)

Okay, now is the time to build a wheel yourself, it is the “final challenge”.

Seriously, I’ll talk you through it, you have everything you need: two hands and free time. Well, it would help to have a spoke wrench and an electric screwdriver :slight_smile:

I inadvertently left out one change, in bold below:

To coast: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the hub; For in that coast of uni what dreams may come…

Thanks for the offer! I may resort to building it myself if necessary. I built my first 20" freewheel and it was serviceable if not perfect. I made an attempt to rebuild the fixed wheel after my freewheel hub busted but messed it up. I’m going to try again this weekend. My 36" will have rim brakes and I’d much rather pay to have it done right.

Alright, tell me what happened and if I’ll be okay.

After riding today, I noticed that every spoke on my 36er was loose. As in floppy loose. How I didn’t notice sooner, I do not know. I don’t know how long it’s been like this, but it was tight when I built the wheel. What could have caused this? I worry that I may have damaged something (hub, spokes, rim) riding it like this, and am going to be SUPER pissed if I start breaking spokes or hub flanges.

I tightened the wheel back up and retrued it, everything looks to be okay so far, but I don’t know what to believe in now.

The wheel was rebuilt, ie the spokes had some bend to start, so they had to take a new set, also as you stressed the wheel while riding, the spokes and nips settled and loosened.

It’s hard to destress a wheel without riding it, so you just need to retension once more, then it should be fine. I’ve had this happen a couple times, seems more common on reused spokes.

Having fun yet?

Maybe they were a little too lubed…

Yessir.

You have a PM. :slight_smile:

I’ve had this happen on just about every wheel I have built (all bikes, though). Definitely just stuff “settling in”. I’ve heard from folks who try to avoid this by using a wrench between spokes to torque/bend the spokes across one another before finishing the build and doing the final true-up. I’ve never had much luck with that, and just figure I’ll have to do a tighten and touch up after my first couple rides.

I’m sure you didn’t hurt anything. Just keep an eye on it for a bit - though I’ve never had it happen twice on a wheel.

Phew, sounds like I’ll be okay. I retrued and retensioned again, hopefully all will stay put this time, though I’ll keep an eye on it.

No practice today, it’s raining…

Come on now, we all know that it doesn’t rain in Utah :wink:

Since when has rain stopped anyone?? :astonished: I doubt I’d ever leave my house if I saved it till it wasn’t going to rain :frowning:

Alright, I’ve just about had it with this thing.

I’ve plateaued (sp?) at around 10 feet, and have not really improved over the last 3 days. I went to add my brake today, and the damn thing doesn’t want to center around my rim.

It’s a side pull brake, and I know you’re supposed to be able to torque the spring using a wrench, but no matter how much tweaking I’ve done with it, it will not center. I even tried retruing my wheel so it’d line up in between the pads, but when I pulled the lever, one pad just smacks into the rim while the other one pulls out. It worked before…

At this point, I’m just about ready to set a match to the whole setup…

Unicycling is fun and all, but man it get’s frustrating sometimes… :roll_eyes:

Woo hoo. Figured it out. Cable routing makes a bigger difference than I thought.

Who knew? :thinking:

Wow, I always figured unless you run it through the spokes or something cable routing doesn’t make a difference.