My new Coker! First impressions

What a beast!

I got my new Deluxe Coker last night and went for a quick ride today:

First impressions- I coulnd’t believe the size of that thing! OK I’ve seen Tony and Peters’ Cokers but never paid much attention because I couldn’t ride them (seatpost too long). So I lopped off most of my seat post and had it as low as it would go (I’m 165cm/5’5). My Coker came with a KH seat and 150mm BE cranks.

I jumped on it, half expecting to fall flat on my face, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to mount! And how TALL I was on it :smiley: It hopped pretty well and felt a lot more stable and less twitchy than my 29’er.

It took about five minutes to get the feel for the Coker. It accelerated/decelerated slowly but not nearly as bad as I had anticipated. In fact- I don’t think I’ll need to put brakes on- it seems to stop OK. I rode up some of the steepest streets in my neighbourhood- it felt rather sluggish because I was not able to crank up the high cadences of my 29’er. I think I was probably going at a similar speed though. (And there are some pretty steep streets where I live). Downhill and the flatter bits was a different matter altogether. It just hummed along! I see what some of you guys (Mikefule?) mean by cruise control. I had to ride on the road because I half-expected to crash into a car backing out of a driveway while riding the footpath (aka sidewalk).

I stopped at my local bike shop and they were most impressed. I started off with a 20’ and I’ve since worked my way up 26’ 29’ and now 36’!
“I hope you don’t expect to buy an inner tube from us for that THANG!”

I rode another 5km before it started raining and I had to go home (to get the washing in- I like riding in the wet :p)

I also did some gentle off-road on it, down this lumpy farm track. It seemed to soak up all the bumps and roll over everything. Now I know why Tony Melton and Peter Bier kicked my butt at the last mountainbike race! They were using Coker+170mmm cranks on a relatively fast course. I don’t think it will be that great for more technical MTB courses but we should all be much more competitive at this years Day/Night Thriller 12hr mountainbike race.

Ken
Coker Convert
(Yes, I still maintain a 29’er is best for general MUni riding)

Ken, congratulations on your new Coker. It sounds like a very fun ride. --chirokid–

Re: My new Coker! First impressions

I’m glad you had a good time–I just got mine too, and am having a similar experience on it… I pretty much just tried normal riding… no jumping on or off curbs (I assume the wheel can handle that? :slight_smile: ) or riding off road but the on road experience was pretty good. As long as I was moving, it handled very well and I was able to take the hills without any problem. I did notice that if I tried to change speed fast that I would have to pull down on the seat a lot more than anything else…

I can’t wait to try one out. I have always wanted to evolve towards a bigger unicycle, and I intended to get a 26" since I have had 20" and 24" previously. I ended up getting 24x3", so there are still plenty bigger sizes for me to try. You must be a very proud Deluxe Coker owner Ken.