My KH/Schlumpf hub slipped on a downshift and how to oil the hub...

Surely the problem with the BC is that there is no back pressure on the plates of the BC, meaning you get wobbled up the moment you bang on the brake. On the unicycle you’ve got loads of leverage on the seat to stop the unicycle flipping forwards when the brake is on. I know if you have bad frame flex on a unicycle, or don’t keep the seat held tight, you get pulsing when you brake, as the brake goes on and off with the flex/wobble, but with a stiff frame, you can get very smooth braking - I’d be surprised if (good at freestyle) people couldn’t ride a freewheel unicycle with a decent brake setup.

Joe

Evan and Spencer said the problem wasn’t putting the brake on, but letting off on it.

I tried to ride that bc wheel one time down a street and right when I grabbed the brake I flew off. I didn’t spend any time practicing with it or anything.

I grew up in Coffs (Bellingon then Toormina).

Are you signed up with the AUS? Send them an email and they will broadcast it for you.

Replacing the brake with a drag clutch in the hub

Should allow you to ride always with your feet on the pedals, at any speed.:slight_smile:

I have no doubt that some skilled riders might be able to put their feet up, and coast down hill, using a rim brake. I am trying to imagine a uni that was easier then that. Still might not be so easy. :roll_eyes:

The important thing to realize about the drag clutch, is that it works pedaling either forward or back. Coasting downhill, with one leg low, the pressure of braking will always be felt in that leg. You could instantly adjust balance by pedaling sharply. It’s not at all the same as free wheel.

The advantage of this system is that it might allow descent down hills at speeds near 20 mph, without having to pedal, or remove your feet from the pedals.

The drag clutch is lever adjustable. So you have it locked going up hill, it’s only advantage would be to create a new uni downhill experience. Compared with free wheeling downhill (which I am sure I could do for maybe 5 feet), a drag clutch connection between the axle and hub sounds difficult, but at least plausible.

I have no designs, I really hope maybe someone else will make this LOL.:slight_smile:

"How about a “fishing rod like” drag clutch ? "

Just make sure your padded up for “the one that got away” :roll_eyes:

I watched Beau Hoover descend a portion of the Moab Rim trail this year with no feet on the uni - just using the brake…bet he could handle a freewheeler on the trail.

I wasn’t at Moab this year, but kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgIcap3q8g

skip to 4:02. I think that’s what entropy was talking about. except with Beau, not Ryan.