My Guitar Playing on the Uni.

O’k I must admitted. I tried to play my guitar on my unicycle and I nearly had the habit of mastering it. O’k it’s my Very Good Guitar which I didn’t want to smash it, if I fell off accidental. My 20year old Yamaha FG335 MK2 is my faithful. ( Value is now at $800 ) Mind you I have 2 other guitars. A 12string Yamaha and a Gibson ES335 Electric Guitar. Oops It’s actualy a Magnum 335 Gibson Copy Electric Guitar. Neither of them I not going to try on my unicycle. I’ll just buy a Cheap old Acoustic guitar will do.
Have any others tried a musical Instrument while riding a unicycle. I know Andrew Carter wants to try drumming on his Unicycle and I reckon he’s right you know.

David.:slight_smile:

Congratulations David! That’s great. These are the only two I’ve heard of:

• Kris Holm playing the violin
  • Dave (GILD) playing the djembe (African drum)

Andrew

Re: My Guitar Playing on the Uni.

well I am trying to play the trumpet (I own a mini-trumpet in my collection that I can protect when I fall)
but since I am not mastering how to stay idle
I’d say I am months away to really play a tune!
the ideal brass instrument would probably be
a cavalry euphonium -or cavalry saxhorn barytone-
(these are things that you can put around
your body and play with just one hand, just like the sousaphones, they were used by mounted brassbands)
but I do not own one (I would gladly buy one: please go in your attic ;))

bear

at the risk of sounding like i’m tooting my own horn here (in which case, as we know, i’d never leave the house), i would like to add the didgeridoo to that list
mine is a six foot long bamboo one
circular breathing on the uni is a challenge of a totally different ilk
i still want to take it up on the raffie
one day

I’ve played my guitars on the uni (12, 2x steel 6, classical, electric, , also my mandolin, banjo (very badly), washboard, and a zob stick of all things.

It terrorfied me totally but I managed not to kill my toys.

RE: My Guitar Playing on the Uni.

People ask me all the time if I play my banjo while riding a unicycle.
It’s a 1994 Gibson RB-250. I value the instrument too much to risk it!

-John

-----Original Message-----
From: rsu-admin@unicycling.org [mailto:rsu-admin@unicycling.org] On
Behalf Of andrew_carter
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 3:21 AM
To: rsu@unicycling.org
Subject: Re: My Guitar Playing on the Uni.

Congratulations David! That’s great. These are the only two I’ve heard
of:

• Kris Holm playing the violin
  • Dave (GILD) playing the djembe (African drum)

Andrew

andrew_carter - Unable to glide…for now.

HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ALBUN59
andrew_carter@unicyclist.com
andrew_carter@mail.com

andrew_carter’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24370

rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu

Does circular breathing mean you never stop exhaling (this is for Gild)? How do you do that?
-Isaac

breathingmurder, I can help…
as an aussie and student of the didj since I could breath (My old man is an avid player), circular breathing essentially means you breath out at the same time as breathing in.
Its difficult.
The way I do it is to puff out my cheeks, breath in through my nose and out through my mouth (The puffing of cheeks is essential so as to have a constant flow of air).
Its a great skill to have … if you like the didj.

Re: My Guitar Playing on the Uni.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 02:07:25 -0600, djm
<djm.kzrnb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Have any others tried a musical Instrument while riding a unicycle.

I’ve seen someone in a circus play a violin.
A certain Erin (not the one posting here) was depicted in Scientific
American playing the sousaphone, naked and painted gold all over her
body.

Sarah Miller, Mikefule and others do folk dances on a uni. Long time
ago I proposed in this group to have the live music to that to be
played by idling unicyclists. I might now be almost up to it (I play
in a folk band) but I’ve never played an instrument yet while on uni.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? - George Carlin

So how do learn how oi do circular breathing? Is there some trick or do you just have to practice? I’v played my guitar on a rola bola and I think my friend played his violin on his uni. I’m not sure if this was just a conversation we had or if he actually did it.
-Isaac

Sam and Dave,

Very nice! One of my friends plays the didj. In fact I’ll just correct what I said in one of my other threads. When the three of us go busking, Jo will play guitar, Matt will play didj, and I’ll play djembe.

Sam,

Have you heard of ‘Si’? Probably not, they’re a couple of guys from Byron Bay. One plays drums and the other didj. I’ve got one of their CD’s, do you want a copy? The thing I like about the way this guy plays is it’s so rythmical and fits with the drums really well. There are also guest artists on the album playing some good stuff, and another didj player for a couple of songs.

Andrew

Re: RE: My Guitar Playing on the Uni.

QUOTE Originally posted by John Drummond
People ask me all the time if I play my banjo while riding a unicycle.
It’s a 1994 Gibson RB-250. I value the instrument too much to risk it!

-John

Blimy John, Put that Gibson Banjo away and get a clapped out old Banjo instead. Besides My Magnum ES335 Gibson Copy Electric Guitar is worth at about $1.000 Australian Dollars.
I paid about $400 back in 1992 and the value has sky-rocket since I bought it. Speaking of which, I remember watching a T.V. Show on Channel Nine on Saturday Night last year in 2002. The program called Australia’s Funniest Home Video Show. They show a clip of a man riding a unicycle playing a guitar in which he fell off suddenly and the guitar didn’t get smashed. He survive o’k but I think the people in the moving vechile laughed. In which I didn’t think it was funny at all.

David.:slight_smile:

There’s a pic of Victor Wooten (he’s a famous bass guitarist) here playing bass on a giraffe. Victor Wooten’s so cool.

It’s basically just holding air in your cheeks and forcing it out while you inhale through your nose. Then you can go back to blowing out with your lungs.

Cool, thanks for the link. Victor Wooten is definately an awsome bass player.

Nice work,
Andrew