My first UKG!

Well, I tried. The next level was 2 stairs away.

Dare I try to go from the ground to ‘up there’?

Pow! Unexpected Knee Grab! (Missed it by that much)

I think this acronym is perfect. I say we throw it into circulation. It’s definetly in my uni-lingo now. Thanks Ryan!

Gotta love them Roaches!

Re: My first UKG!

I find it is a rather odd feeling when you fall and land on your knees with pads on… you’re going downwards with your brain screaming “THIS IS REALLY GOING TO HURT!!!” but then just land with a dull “thump” and nothing else. A high-speed impact between knee and concrete that feels like you might as well have landed on a a pillow. Ho-hum…

Phil, just me

I ride way more often with pads than without. they’ve become molded to my legs quite nicely. Now i expect the dull thud, so you can try bigger things without being worried. but when you smash your chest on something, that hurts. im thinkg about getting the sixsixone chest protector. i worry little about unexpected knee grabs :smiley: i love that!

Brian, did you learn how to juggle? i’ve been doing it non-stop for 2 days and i can juggle perfedtly now! it’s so much fun!

-Ryan

Ryan

I guess I brought the juggling balls for nothing last night. I had 30 sets
to teach the club to juggle. You never showed up so I didn’t bother.
Glad to hear you can juggle now. I will show you some other patterns next
week at our unicycle club Christmas party.

See ya Thursday,
Darren

m_extreme_uni wrote:

> I ride way more often with pads than without. they’ve become molded to
> my legs quite nicely. Now i expect the dull thud, so you can try bigger
> things without being worried. but when you smash your chest on
> something, that hurts. im thinkg about getting the sixsixone chest
> protector. i worry little about unexpected knee grabs :smiley: i love
> that!
>
> Brian, did you learn how to juggle? i’ve been doing it non-stop for 2
> days and i can juggle perfedtly now! it’s so much fun!
>
> -Ryan
>
> –
> m_extreme_uni
>
> I must only use these powers to annoy!!!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> m_extreme_uni’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/22180

i can 3 ball juggle fairly well, not that I’m thinking about advancing to 4, but I was just trying them to see, and am completely stumped on how to even start with 4, or 5.

Do you ever start by throwing 2 at once? My hands can’t yet go that fast.

3 is coming along well, I’m anxious to try with pins.

Traditionally 4 balls is done as two columns of 2 in each hand. You can stagger the columns (left, right, left, right, left, etc.), though nothing ever crosses between your hands, or you can throw from each hand at the same time wherein one can swap the balls from one hand to the other.

5 is back to the idea of 3, but instead, as with 3, of having 1 ball in the air and 1 in each hand, there are 3 balls in the air with 1 in each hand. To start, make sure you can do a 3-ball flash (throw all balls up in a 3-ball pattern but have all balls in the air at the same time – it’s a really quick throw,1,2,3 and then catch, 1,2,3). Then figure out a way to progress yourself from a 3-ball flash to juggling 5.

The web is a really good resource (http://www.juggling.org) is great.

Later,
Eli.

P.S. I got one pedal rotation of one-footed riding yesterday! I let out a whoop! in the middle of the street, partially because I was so happy and partially because I really surprised myself – I can one-footed idle, but wasn’t expecting one-footed riding to “just work” so soon.

5 balls sounds so easy on paper…

its like 7 its just 5 in the air at once, and one in each hand, come on you can do it. I learned 7 balls in like a day :-p yeah right… T

There are other ways to do 4 and 5 as well, I like to do a trick called Multiplexing, you throw 2 balls out of the same hand and the same time and catch them at the same time in your other hand.

Juggling 4 Balls

I started juggling 3 balls a while ago and tried 4. It worked but i did it kind of, like, juggling with three. Except when i throw from my left hand, I keep the other one in my left untill the next cycle, then i throw the one the one that was sitting in my hand. Cheap, but it works.:slight_smile:

Checkernuts <Checkernuts.fmnkb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<Checkernuts.fmnkb@timelimit.unicyclist.com>…

> 5 balls sounds so easy on paper…

Yeah, I never new it was that easy.

lol

(just visiting)

I suppose im just different, but if i come down on my knee wrong, it really, really hurts. even through the roach… must be what’s keeping me from 3.5 foot gaps.

Are they Roach DH legs?

There’s 3 kinds of protection

Only the DH legs have the max protection in the knees

I landed flat.

I could see if you landed on a concrete corner, with some momentum, angled correctly, that could hurt.

After all, they aren’t hard plastic.

All I know, if I wasn’t wearing them, instead of ‘poof’ I woulda felt busted knee cap splinters!

Good old roach DH, the one i remember most was onto a big blunt rock, straight down. Even in gyms It hurts…