My First Serious Uni Accident: A Broken Back with Video!

Ya, it suprises me too that I broke my back from a fall like that. Jim broke his by landing on his butt which makes sense. It must have been the speed that I had combined with the initial impact on my face and chest that did it?

If I had a brake, it might not have happened cause I could have slowed myself down. But I’d have to get used to it first, otherwise it’d screw me up more. One of the reasons I haven’t had a brake yet, is for several reasons; it costs a lot, they are a lot of maintenance, they sometimes make loud annoying sounds, and you usually don’t need one. Plus I guess it’s more “manly” or something like that if you don’t have one and once you have one and get used to it, I think it’d be hard to ride without one. So those are my reasons but I might look at getting one sooner or later, especially if I get smaller cranks. And yes, that little drop at the beginning didn’t help!

It is getting summer now and the hotties are starting to come out so at least I’ll be able to lay on the beach all summer long and watch them walk by! :slight_smile: Heck, maybe it won’t be too bad for 2 months just laying on the beach…

Thanks Jim for the tip! Seemed to work pretty good last night and I even won the poker tournament at our house!

Also, thank you to eveyone who has wished me luck and a fast recovery! :smiley:

Oh, I wasn’t mad at all for the photographers getting in my face. Actually didn’t even really notice it. I’m just glad they got it on film!

And yes, as hard as it’s gonna be I’m gonna take it easy for 2 months until its healed completely. Don’t want to reinjury it. But thanks for the advice “dad”!

Turtle: that trail looks awesome! Next time I’m in Liechtenstein I’ll have to make sure to ride it! Glad you didn’t get hurt.

don’t look bad
anyhow hope you heal fast:)

Ohhh, THAT rock. I know that one well. Errr, as well as anyone could after two runs. The first run came out similar to yours, except I was lucky enough to run out. My ankle hurt for like 2 weeks after though. Second run I got even luckier and made it.

That rock is far more of a beast than the video shows. Those dinky little drops he’s doing at the top only make it harder to control the middle, which isn’t smooth at all. Incredibly hard to keep control on something like that. And yeah, I say that having used a brake.

Jamey, I hope you heal well, and get to enjoy your time on the beaches. Out of curiosity, will you be able to swim?

Here’s another view of that section of trail. Sorry it has to have me in it, but it’s one of the only pics I’ve seen. Nathan Hoover took this.

Edit: Well that didn’t work. Here’s a link. http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1054473/2/49003619#49003619-L-LB

gerblefranklin: That’s a good picture of it! Makes it look much more like it is. Thanks.

jester: Thanks for posting the video. Youtube apparantly isn’t working.

that sucks man, i remember meeting you in Memphis and saying to myself ‘man, that’s a guy who is so good, he’ll NEVER break his back!’

thanks for nothing

First serious accident? Don’t tell me you’re planning another one already!

Broken back is crazy… Heal fast Jamey

EDIT: The rock you fell on is the one in the picture Bevan posted? That looks like an awsome trail! (can’t see the video)

Ya, that’s the same rock slab in the picture. It’s a sweet trail and one of the best in the USA. It was my first time on it and I can’t wait to ride the rest of it in a couple months…

what could go wrong??

Here is another video from that trail. I think that section is in there if I am thinking of the same big rock.

The first 17 photos in this gallery are from G-Spot: http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/1054473 #6,7,8 are of Mossengren Rock.

This gallery from LA Muni weekend last fall has more photos, starting with this one of the same rock: http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/2130120#110336912

—Nathan

Yeah, I mean, what could possibly happen?

Wishing you a speedy recovery - But please don’t quit!

I am wishing Jamey a speedy recovery all the way from Israel.
That was a pretty steep incline.

I wish Jamey would not quit the sport though. He doesn’t have to continue going big on MUni but can still ride. I am 35 and unicycling has become my reason to live beside a few other minor reasons (Beer, single malt, hot women to look at and my wife to be with and two little terrorist to pass the sport on to.). I sometimes think what I will do in say 10 to 15 years when I can’t do hard MUni. I guess that I will just have to do more Cross Country riding. If Jamey heals up nice then ther is no reason for hm not to continue doing MUni. However if he decides to tone it down he can continue unicycling but just avoid those hard sections or revert to some tougher cross country.
It still gets you out into nature.
Once again I wish Jamey a fast and complete recovery. Don’t quit man!

Unicorn

Jamey, I guess you forgot your lucky tuna.
Hope you will heal fast, and get back on the uni.

OK, I must have not made myself clear cause I was only joking when I said I was retireing! Unicycling is my life and I will NEVER retire from it, even if I have one leg, one arm, half a brain, etc. :slight_smile: So basically I’ll be uni’ing until the day I day, heck if I died while unicycling I’d be a happy man knowing I went out doing something I love!

Kristian: Yes I did not have my lucky can of tuna with! Good call.

I’ve noticed that by far my worst accidents in muni - albeit no broken bones - happen when I’m somewhat physically drained. This isn’t surprising…On steep trails with big moves, especially GSpot, I have a ‘no ascent riding’ policy. That stuff is risky enough without your legs working at less than 100% capacity from the start. I’ve heard a couple of people complain about the lack of roundness to this ‘downhill only’ mindset, but there is a solid reason why you see us walking to the trailheads in some places. The complainers don’t normally follow us on every line back down the mountain…:wink:

I save the uphill muni for trails that aren’t otherwise challenging, like those near where I live. Which, by the way, you should come and do when you get rid of that pesky brace.

Hey Jamey, remember when you rode in Nor Cal with John Foss and I.
You said I need to have more Confidence… I said, its the other “C” word that I am concerned about…CONSEQUENCES
Hope all is well with you and that you heal soon
Robert

vids not working for me

Ya, you may have a good point. Someone mentioned this (you?) as we started the climb but I guess I didn’t realize how hard the trail was since I hadn’t been on it and I thought the Nature Trail was Gspot. I rode that one by myself after riding Humingbird with a group, and somehow thought it was Gspot, boy was I wrong!

skianduniaddict: The video link isn’t working on youtube so you have to go to Jesters site here.