My First 100 Mile Ride!

Not to mention the yummy sandwich at the start…makes up for all the trouble :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the interesting description of your ride! I was just wondering if you used some headlight after dark.

It feels quite freaking awesome to do 100 miles, and if you allocate the time and chose to spend it riding your Coker, it feels far from a waste. :slight_smile:

No headlight, but I ddddeefinitely had a taillight. There was a 7/8 moon out, so I had plenty of light to do what I needed.

Big yummy sandwiches before rides are always good! :slight_smile:

yea your right but im kinda broke now.

I might be able to get a loner for you for the ride. It’ll have an airfoil rim too!

impressive speeds man. congrats.

we’re all masochists around here. unicycles are bred for their skill in sadism. it’s why the relationship works.

that sounds good. ill think about it

Lol, don’t do me any favors! :roll_eyes:

do you have 2 cokers?

Wow, thats really awesome. I really like the gallery too.

How many bikes/cars did you race along the way?:wink:

Congratulations on your first 100 miler!

My first thought was…WOW!!! When you first brought it up to me and I had to decline, I didn’t think you were still going to do it. I’m very impressed, especially with your time. I think I may have just slowed you down. I’m definitely not at your level of riding. Sure, I think I could have finished the 100 miles, I just don’t think I would have done it with at such a good pace. Are you riding with 127mm cranks? I have been riding 150s for the past year and a half (since I started riding). I tried the 127mm for a day, and then I went back to the 150s because they were much more comfortable. Don’t laugh, I’m an old guy. I’ll be 39 in a month. I am probably twice your age. Eight mph up Torrey Pines, after such a long ride behind you, that’s IMPRESSIVE! I can’t believe that you did that without a front headlight. How was it riding on 5 South on late Saturday night? Eek!!! I bet by the time you came to Torrey Pines, you just wanted to drop and sleep there for the night…I know I would have wanted to. Thanks for sharing your great ride. Your Photo Viewer didn’t work for me. I did enjoy your pictures, though.

No, i would have to borrow one from a friend, but I’m pretty sure he’d let you use it. He doesn’t ride it that much lately.

Haha I had to laugh when I read that part! I’m 52 and nearly 14 years older than you, so you’re just a kid! I ride my 36er comfortably with 114mm cranks, and if you ride regularly, you should have no problems getting down to at least 125’s. You’ll be much happier with them in the long run. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d definitely like to join the 100 mile club, and so maybe you can ride with me & Tyler! We won’t have to ride at a break-neck pace. We can just start really early, like 6am, and get finished before dark!:smiley:

oh okay

do you have an idea where and when?

Well I thought I’d leave that to you since you live out there. Maybe you could get Chuck’s input and have him help you plan out a route.:slight_smile: Once we get it confirmed, I’ll see what I can do to get us TV and newspaper coverage. It would also be great if we could set it up as a charity ride as well!

Hey, the Spencer! Been long time! Come to think of it, I haven’t seen Carlie in a long time, either…

As for racing cars/bikes, I only had that one opportunity to blast past some cars at the bottom of the big hill in Dana Point, but… sadly, unicycles in general just aren’t up to the task. :(. Also, no bikers passed me going south, but I passed tons of cyclists coming north. I did pass four novice cyclists all headed south, but because I was averaging under… like 18, they couldn’t have been going too hard. Also, I did pass one hardcore roadie, but that’s 'cause he was fixing his flat :p.

@Terry and Tyler… if you guys get your uni stuffs together, I’d absolutely love do to a San Diego ride with you guys from Irvine or where-have-you. It doesn’t even have to be an S.D. ride, though I am of the opinion that it’s one of the nicer, flatter, more beautiful, more peaceful 100-milers in the immediate vicinity (i.e. So-cal south of Malibu). If you don’t want to do my S.D.-from-UCI route, the Huntington Beach stretch along PCH is pretty nice, but if you go north on it you have to chop through LA (no offense, Terry… I just don’t very much like the area between Long Beach and Santa Monica, including LB and SM themselves, for cycling very much; you probably know better routes than I do, though :)). We could start in Malibu and head north till we drop… but remember that the prevailing winds will be against us. Better if we take a train to Santa Barbara and ride partways back or something (It’s about 150 miles from SB to my school along the bike paths. But if we’re going up to SB… why not go all the way to Big Sur, which is where the REAL beauty is! And if we’re going to big sur, why not just go to Santa Cruz, where we can go with a whole lot more riders! (Pretty much everyone on Corbin’s bluetreesoft muni list!)… DANG. I let my mind get away with me again! I really want to get up to the south end of the Bay Area, because, besides being where my job is, it’s where a bunch of really cool riders are, and I don’t really have anyone to ride with on long Coker rides, either.

Lemme know where/when you guys want to go!

Also, @ShannonG, in my mind, I don’t really think your ability to cycle is that much a function of how old you are… well, maybe if you’re in your late 70s or if you’re a Pro/Cat 1 cyclist. I’ve certainly been humbled on my bike by old white-haired men you’d never believe rode bikes if you looked at them. Monsters, is what I’d like to call 'em. I hope I’m like them when I’m 70. But, if you put those 127mm cranks back on and get used to them (that’s all it takes), then you’ll notice your riding speed increase dramatically. Yeah, that ride would’ve been Hell-to-pay for you on 150mm cranks; talk about spin-spin-spin over flat ground! If anything, to cover tons of ground, you’d want even shorter cranks than 125, as the ride didn’t have much climbing. 125’s as small as I go, though, and I think it’s a good length for that far when there ARE hills, because at 114 or 110mm, I think my quads would’ve fatigued from too much force (i.e. too high a gear) from climbing the shallow rollers that constitute the idea of “flat” for that far. Honestly, though, if I were riding 100 miles around a track, I’d want way shorter cranks than 125. Just how short? Donno… ask one of the seasoned pro-Coker dudes :slight_smile: :). I’m assuming not 125. Anyway, I think that if you leave the shorter cranks on there and ride “funky” (recklessly?) sometimes (weaving around between things, accelerating and decelerating quickly, etc) you’ll get used to how much more sluggish your uni feels with the shorter cranks, and you’ll naturally start putting more force into the pedals in order to balance. And you’ll be able to spin worlds faster!! When you have the small cranks, it’s much easier to just let the wheel do what it wants, and slowly convince it to do what you want, rather than to whip it around like you can with the 150s. If you just sit and spin your legs with the smaller cranks, which may take a little practice if you’ve been riding 150s for a year and a half, you can probably get away with putting out less actual effort than you do right now and end up going faster with the shorter ones. Heheheheh, this post is getting out of hand again. I just say slap those 127mm cranks on there and get used to them, because once you do you’ll never look back to 150 :). I don’t really think being 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 has much to do with how much power you can sustain if you’re trained (assuming a non-professional rider!)… it’s just that most 40/50/60 year olds sit on their butts all day instead of exercise, because for some reason they think they can’t or that they’re not young/strong enough anymore, so the ones who DO get off their butts, like you and Terry, really deserve a hand. Road cycling is chock-full of old guys, and most of the old (55+) guys I ride with could school me in an instant if they wanted. (on my bike, I might do 100 miles at a 22mph avg, but they’ll do it at 25 and I’ll sit on their wheels sucking draft!) If you hop on with shorter cranks and go at it for a little while, you’ll get quick; worry not! :smiley:

LOL, Terry, why do we need TV and newspaper coverage?

I really think that kind of exposure would make us look bad, because we’re doing these 100 mile rides averaging like 13mph over wheelspin, where anyone that means business on a bike will do 18-19+… any cyclist would just ask “welllll, why?” Maybe if we’re all on geared hubs and can hold down a 16-18mph average, like a slower bike, it’d be newsworthy… but that’s like, crazy fast even for world record holder awesome-riders.

We don’t need it, but it’s just fun plus we give our sport more exposure and recognition. And then if we do it for charity, that would make the ride even more rewarding as we’d be doing something to help people in need. Maybe a children’s charity like the one Adam organized last year. Just a thought. :slight_smile: