My first 10 miler

Finally got in a 10+ mile ride on my 24" torker (chrome one) this morning.

Work has been a real drain on my time for the past month and I finally found a couple of hours all to my self. Lots of stepping off the uni along the way and one freak upd when I was agressively (for me :slight_smile: climbing a small hill. I have to say it’s very satisfying to make this milestone no matter how many times my feet hit the ground.

On thing’s for sure. I’ll be looking for a bigger wheel soon. In the few months that I’ve been riding I’ve been trying to decide what I enjoy. I’ve decided I like to cruise and I like natural settings. Although I think I’d enjoy riding footpaths I’m probably not going to get into gnarly downhills or real technical stuff any time soon. And I doubt I would ever put time into freestyle or trials.

Can one new uni satisfy my desire to go farther and faster along with the desire to go off road? What do y’all think.

Maybe I can convert the torker to be more of a trail bike. The current tire, although not very old, is already wearing quite a bit. I have roatated it around but have lots of quite bald spots. Its’ been ridden mainly on asphalt to date.

Another question. Late in the ride I started getting pain in the outside part of my left knee. I’m pretty sure it’s iliotibial band (ITB) syndrome. Anyone else get this? I’ve had it before while road biking but generally only after 60+ mile rides. It’s one of the reasons I don’t road bike much anymore. I never found a good remedy for it. I would hate to put a halt to uni now that I’ve found it so if anyone has some tips I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks all,
-Cubby

42 yr old dog still learning new tricks.

Re: My first 10 miler

Sure. A 24" or 26" with a cheap mtb tire (2" wide) and 150mm cranks (important!) is quite useable for light offroad use. I have a 26" with such a setup, and its fun to go for 5 or 6 miles on gravel or sand roads. If you are going to ride if it is wet, it`s much more enjoyable with grippy pedals, e.g. mountain bike cage pedals.

Uh. There are for sure many people who know much more about that than me; but my experience is this:

I had ITBS this spring, when I made the first ride with a new uni on the road, where I normally don`t ride. The road was crowned (leaned to one side), which also did not make it any better, and I simply went too far without being used to it.

I could not ride long tours for 1 or 2 months without getting this pain (of course I did not try to ride with the pain; that makes it worse).

Fortunately it stopped by itself, and I can ride again long distances. I tried some stretching, but I was never that serious with it; if the pain wouldn`t have gone by itself I would have investigated much better how one should stretch to prevent ITBS.

Hope you get well
Juergen

Re: Re: My first 10 miler

Thanks Juergen for your reply. I found what looks like some good sites on the web related to ITBS. I hope with some proper care I can limit this in the future.

Crowned roads I think may be part of the cause here. A long stretch of the asphalt path I was riding slopes to one side so I was constantly compensating for it. The first times I road on this route I kept thinking my seat was out of alignment and would stop to adjust it one way or another.

The other thing I think could was a factor is my was set pretty high. It’s set at a height that’s fine if I’m using the balls of my feet but I know I probably spent several miles of the ride pedaling on the arch. It may not seem like much but the difference in how much my leg needed to extend was probably just enough to cause a hip rocking motion that I know will aggrivate ITBS.

All lessons learned I guess.

-Cubby.

John Childs posted this link a while ago and I copied it down:

ITBS

Hey,
Wait until you ride 650 miles and go up mountains instead of hills.

-Ryan Woessner :slight_smile:

Stretching is the key for taking care of ITBS.
This site has pictures of some helpful stretches. They have two different IT band stretches. The one labeled Another good hip stretch is also a good one that I found helpful.

ITBS.info also has some good stretches, but no pictures.

Stretching is what you do to prevent ITBS from happening to you in the first place. And if you do get ITBS pain in your knee then stretching is what you do to keep it from happening again. I haven’t had any ITBS problems in over 4 or 5 years now, but I haven’t tempted fate by doing a uni tour yet.

Take a simple basic 24. Add a 24 x 1.95 tyre, readily available cheaply, and get some decent pinned platform pedals. Now, what length of cranks?

170s are way over the top.
150s will take you up or down most things.
125s are versatile.
110s are surprisingly versatile.
102s are fast for distance, but can cope with a surprising amount of challenging terrain, and short downhills.
89s are pushing it a bit, but fun in a silly kind of way.

So, for a cheap answer to your question, try the 24 with a 24 x 1.95 tyre, decent pedals, and 110 mm cranks.

On 102 mm cranks, I did 24 miles on my 24 a few weeks back. 10 miles is an easy cruise on this set up.

If you think that gentle cross country, river banks, woodland paths, and pleasant riding in a ‘natural setting’ is your thing, then a 24 x 3, a 26, or a 28 (or 29) might be ideal. I like 110 mm cranks on my 28, which is surprisingly easy to ride at comfortable speeds as long as there are no serious hills.

if you go for a 24x3, then you’ll need another frame since the torker’s so skinny. the yuni frame is good, and cheap too

Thanks Mikefule,
You’ve given me some direction. I’m on the lookout for the necessary upgrades for my 24.

I like to tinker so I’m thinking of a DIY 28"er. I’ve got enough scrap bike parts and misc chromolly in the garage to get me half way there. Would need to order a hub, main caps, and few other parts. I’ve always wanted to rebuild a wheel. Sounds like a winter project to me :slight_smile:

-Cubby