My feet keep slipping.

I just got my first unicycle 2 weeks ago (Torker LX 24) and i’ve had probably 20 or hours attempting to ride it. I’ve done all of my riding on my back deck, it doesn’t have a ton of room, but its the only place I can regularly access thats flat. My biggest trouble has been my feet slipping on the pedals, sometimes not all of the way off, but just enough to make me lose my balance. I’m just getting frustrated by it, because it seems like a silly obstacle to have to overcome. I’ve been riding wearing some adidas walking shoes, that are kind of warn down on the bottom so I was thinking that might be it. I also tried some newbalance running shoes, but those didn’t work all that well either. I was thinking of trying something with a slight heal, but the only heeled shoes I have are dress shoes and wearing those sounds like a bad idea. Or It could just be bad technique by me.

So I suppose what I’m really asking is what should I do? Am I doing something wrong? Should I go and buy some new shoes? Anyways I’d appreciate any feedback you guys and girls can give me. ( Also if there is already a few threads on this I apologies, I used the search and nothing really came up. )

Maybe you need new pedals.

My Twisted PC’s have really nice grip for me.

I had the same problem with my 26

I have a Torker lx 26 that gave me a ton of problems with my feet slipping off my pedals. You could do one of two things: buy new grippier pedals or modify the ones you have. I personally chose the latter method. I took the smallest screws I could find and screwed six of them onto each side of the pedal, it works fine for me, and saved me a couple bucks to put towards a better set of metal pedals. It really improved my grip for road and Muni.

ben’s on it, you really need new pedals. i have a couple sets of lx pedals and they have horrible grip. +1 on the twisted pc’s, they’re cheap, have great grip, and b/c they’re plastic they don’t tear up your shins too much

IMO It’s a learning thing: When you first start out you don’t guide the uni with your feet you struggle wildly for balance whilst using your feet to force the uni forward so that you can use the momentum to keep you going (sound familiar?).

A change of shoes wouldn’t be too bad a plan.
I had a lot of slippage when I first started and it was mostly down to wearing inappropriate shoes (DM boots. Wrecked my knees 'cos the heels stopped the slip’s progression and made me push through my knee joints.) I switched to my heavy-tread trainers and the slip and the sore knees went away instantly.

You might also want to push the uni’s saddle height up a little to force you to press downwards on the pedals and reduce the amount that you push forward.

To be honest, I learned mostly riding barefoot, but I always grew up barefoot so my feet didn’t mind the pressure. If your comfortable that way, it will help u achieve the correct pressure you should be applying on the pedals, then u wouldn’t have the prob once you put your shoes back on. This might work if you are not gonna buy new pedals or are waiting for them to arrive.
-Steven

Hmm, alright I think i’m going to place an order on those pedals today because they’re pretty damn cheap. In the mean time I think I’ll search the house for some screws, that sounds like a good quick fix for now. On the other hand though it probably is a large amount of technique, my slipping is most likely 50% lack of grip and 50% lack of skill. I never learned how to ride a bike, so this is kind of a double challange for me, its all new. The barefoot thing sounds interesting and might give that a quick shot and give it try, I’m just a afriad of doing some damage to my feet, but I am barefoot alot. Any who thats enough rambling for now and thanks alot guys.

Guruni applauds the wise suggestions for our new uni friend.

Many people prefer a flat sole shoe like skateboarders wear as opposed to something with a thick sole like running shoes. The flatter, thinner sole allows a better feel of the pedal.

The Torker LX pedals are not the greatest but they are certainly adequate for a learner. Keep practicing. Find someplace larger than your deck to practice so you can achieve some speed approximating a brisk walk.

The barefoot suggestion of Mr. StetsonSteve brings back fond memories of the old country when I was young and carefree.

I ride with skateboarder shoes and have found them a significant improvement over some generic jogging shoes. They have a better grip and a narrower profile.

One thing I can say is you should keep most of your weight on the seat when learning to ride. This may help your pedal problem too. Can’t say for sure though.