Mutual respect by people riding horses

This past Sunday morning I was riding my Muni at a local park. At one point I came out to a bridge that crossed a small stream. While I was taking a rest, a woman riding a horse led her horse down the hill to the edge of the water so that the horse could get a drink. I wanted to make some clever comment about leading a horse to water. Before the words came out, I realized that she’s probably heard that comment as many times as I’ve heard people asking about my other wheel. So, I commented about how handsome her horse was and we had a nice conversation.

During the rest of my ride, I rode by 6-8 other people riding horses. I didn’t remark about their horse being “a horse of another color” and their comments ranged from Hi, you’re really good, that’s very cool, and I haven’t seen one of those for a long time. Not one asked me any of the “clever, annoying” questions.

While riding, has anyone else had a similar, refreshing experience ?

Re: Mutual respect by people riding horses

“One on one” <One.on.one@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>
wrote:

> This past Sunday morning I was riding my Muni at a local park. At one
> point I came out to a bridge that crossed a small stream. While I was
> taking a rest, a woman riding a horse led her horse down the hill to the
> edge of the water so that the horse could get a drink. I wanted to make
> some clever comment about leading a horse to water. […]

> While riding, has anyone else had a similar, refreshing experience ?

i just ask em if they’re good to eat.

…max

Re: Mutual respect by people riding horses

You should have asked her, “Can you ride that thing?” :slight_smile:

Next time you see them, tell them that unicycling is supposed to improve your horseback riding skills.

Read more about it here.

Vaguely on subject, am I the only one who has a fixation about trying to overtake a horse rider whilst on giraffe? Hasn’t happened yet, but next time I see a horse going down the lane I’m going to have it.

I’m not sure if the horse (or the horse rider for that matter) would be very happy if you suddenly pop up in their field of view like that. This seems like a surefire recipe to frighten a horse which generally isn’t a good thing to do.

Klaas Bil

oh, I thought this was a thread about horses riding unicycles.

IHMO Its pretty hard to startle a horse when its being controlled by a confident rider. If the rider knew you were coming (pretty easy since a giraffe isn’t the quietest form of transport), and had at least a modicum of control then it should be fine. I don’t think dave planned on racing past at 10mph, more a kind of slow crawl past. Cars are a lot noisier, faster and bigger than a man on a giraffe.

I think engaging in converstation with someone at the same height, one on a horse & one on a giraffe would be a great laugh.

Loose.

No popping intended Bill, i shall glide smoothly in to view (unless i fall off just as i get close) On a more serious note, yes obviously caution has to be exercised, although most horses around here are with the hunt and won’t take fright if you, for instance, blow a bugle right in their ear.

DON’T DO IT!

There’s been at least one story posted on this board of a cyclist being kicked in the head and killed whilst passing a horse.

Horses are easily spooked.

As a long time road cyclist, I can confidently say that horses don’t like be “snuk up on”.

My experience is that, if you are overtaking a horse, call out “hello” or something like that. The rider will almost always give a thank you.

Hooked

onewheeldave, my head will be above that of the rider and therefore impossible to kick, that’s the whole point of being on the giraffe, your pretty much the same height as the horse rider (atleast you are if they’re just on a hack pony). I know horses can be easily spooked, but aslong as i pass wide and the rider looks competent (no 10 y/o pony club girls) then i think it’s worth a try, it’s hardly going to be the most dangerous thing i ever do.

Horses do, in general, seem to be freaked out by cyclists, and like onewheeldave I’ve heard a few tales of people actually being trampled or kicked to death. Even a competent rider has no control over the horse if it freaks out - it’s an animal with a mind of its own, and the rider is just sitting on top of it (until it throws them off). Of course these are rare cases, but I always pass horses with extreme caution, however many wheels I’m riding.

Re: Re: Mutual respect by people riding horses

At CMW last year, a group of women on horseback came up the Tahoe rim trail the opposite direction we were riding. We met them at a rock “stairstep” section and let them pass. They were looking at all the unicyclists and before they could say anything, Jerry Gruss said “Are those things hard to ride?”.
It was well timed, beautiful irony, and amused the horse riders and uni riders equally. It amused Jerry himself, which he contends is all that ever really matters. :slight_smile:

Scott

This serves me right, by pure coincidence i saw a horse out on the lane today while i was with my unicycle (28"), unfortunately while pushing for the 2 mile in 12 minutes goal i pulled one of the cranks very loose and was walking home, so was unable to ride past, so my plan remains thwarted.