music in videos

Could we have a moratorium on music tracks to videos with the N* word?

I don’t really appreciate hearing that crap. There are so many other ways to be creative with music than to use that style of rap.

Nothing against rap itself but the groups that use that term constantly are usually just awful, I don’t think our noble sport should be coupled with such bland, offensive music.

Alas, we all have different tastes, if you don’t like the music you can always mute it. No big deal - that’s what I do.

You can mute it and play a different song in the background.
I’ve actually done that a few times, lol.

I don’t mind what type of music it is as long as it fits the video and “works” well, although I don’t choose to listen to music with lots of swearing or whatever when I’m picking for myself.

Depends what audience you’re trying to reach I suppose. I imagine (I know it’s terrible to generalise) a lot of the young skater / BMX / extreme sports kids who are watching these videos might be more inspired to take up unicycling if they also like the music. :smiley:

i actually do it with all videos. usually when i start watching unicycle videos im already listening to something…so i just mute the vid.

Of course, freedom of speech takes priority. Do what you want.

But if anyone cares, I’d prefer no vulgarities in videos. Mostly because my kids like to watch/listen over my shoulder.

What do you do when theres important diolouge in the vid?
As a film maker I would be quite insulted if someone muted the audio while watching one of my vids. I spend all that time editing to the track, just for it to be muted.

Also I think the music really sets the mood for the video, and without the intended music, some of the feel is lost.

I dont understand what the problem with using harsh language is… Its just a video and honestly I think if you are paying enough attention to the words to hear bad things, than you are watching the video for the wrong reason.

And as far as kids go, if you let them go to school, im sure they hear or say worse things than that. You hear bad things in 1st grade. Words are just that, let them go.

Right, because all the 1st graders at my kids’ elementary school walk around saying mother fer and n**er. :roll_eyes:

Sure they’re just words, but if you treat them like they’re nothing then your kids will walk around saying them. Now you (the parents) will have to deal with all the reactions (shock, comments, poor treatment) of friends, family, strangers, teachers, principals, other parents, other children, etc. I guess you can just tell everyone who is offended, “Words are just that, let them go”. Good luck with that.

I didnt say all kids do that, and I didnt say treat them like they are nothing. Kids can learn things, and understand things. You just have to teach them. Just beacause it is said in music doesnt mean they will say it. Just like we dont go around killing people beacause thats what the new box office hit was about. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for.
I was a kid that walked around saying worse things than that in 1st grade. I knew other kids like that, they will always be there. Just because you dont let them hear it doesnt mean they wont.

Fuck

And for you that were offended by that… Words are just that, let them go.
I hope I didnt ruin your day.

For me, I like the music to be more in the background, and basically there to compliment the footage, not to overpower it. I also tend to prefer instrumentals, so you can hear the various hiker/biker comments and the natural sounds of the trail. :slight_smile:

Right! So say I’m watching a unicycle video with my 9 y.o. son and obscenities start playing in the audio. I recognize he just heard it too, since I did. I know my son knows swear words… he’s written/said them before, and I’ve explained how it isn’t accepted. He seems to understand and we’ve never had any real problems with it. So I said say something like, “Bad music choice” and immediately mute it.
No real harm done, but now there’s no sound in the video we’re watching.
That sucks.
So I stand by what I said: “I’d prefer no vulgarities in videos. Mostly because my kids like to watch/listen over my shoulder.”

My son knows the words are swear words, and he knows it’s not generally accepted to say them. And he’s very smart. So should I just let the music play?
IMHO, no, because that’s a form of teaching. My acceptance would teach him that it is acceptable.

Of course, and they can say it too. Just not within earshot of me or of others who would be offended. Again, because my acceptance would make it acceptable. I’d prefer they don’t swear at all, because next thing you know there will be some irate parent at my door.

:thinking:

Do you (or would you) listen to music with your elementary school age kids that goes on about fck this and n**er that?
Again, good luck with that.

First of all I’m not talking about what kids say. That’s between you and your kids. I’m talking about what is posted in a public forum where people from 5 to 70 come to read and talk about unis.

2nd, I too like the music when it works to set the tone of the video. I like the wide variety of songs I am exposed to. Songs I would not be exposed to otherwise.

3rd there is a difference between the word “Fuck” and the N* word being posted in a public forum. I’m not trying to change anybody but just letting know that I find that word really offensive even within the context of a rap video.

4th, this is a public forum where you don’t even have to register to read posts (and I assume to watch posted videos). That suggests a certain amount of decorum be used. If you went to a clothing store and just started yelling fuck, fuck, fuck, N*, N* N* what do you supposed would happen, you would be asked to pipe down or leave. There is a concept called context. I think there is a context here of a sport for people of all ages, like muniaddict is trying to explain, that suggests that a certain amount of decorum is warranted here.

I’m suggesting that the N* word is out of context in a forum that is primarily about unicycles. Unis that are rode by people from ages 5 to 70. That is a diverse group of people.

I believe that art should stretch the senses, even offend. But the days when using the N* word in a rap song being was fresh, shocking, brave, are many years long gone. MANY years long gone. NWA/Eazy-E kind of took it as far as it could go in the late 80’s early 90’s.

True enough that I can mute the video. Didn’t think of that because as was pointed out the music is part of the ‘artwork’ of the video. I like the different styles of music. But when I watched the 3rd video in two days with liberal use of the N* word, I decided to post my feelings on the matter.

Lastly I’m not asking for any changes or rule to be instituted. This is a public forum with a fairly wide latitude for expression. Instead I’m asking the young video makers to stretch out a bit and do something more creative than another rap with the N* word being used every 20 seconds just for shock value.

First of all I’m not talking about what kids say. That’s between you and your kids. I’m talking about what is posted in a public forum where people from 5 to 70 come to read and talk about unis.

2nd, I too like the music when it works to set the tone of the video. I like the wide variety of songs I am exposed to. Songs I would not be exposed to otherwise.

3rd there is a difference between the word “Fuck” and the N* word being posted in a public forum. I’m not trying to change anybody but just letting know that I find that word really offensive even within the context of a rap video.

4th, this is a public forum where you don’t even have to register to read posts (and I assume to watch posted videos). That suggests a certain amount of decorum be used. If you went to a clothing store and just started yelling fuck, fuck, fuck, N*, N* N* what do you supposed would happen, you would be asked to pipe down or leave. There is a concept called context. I think there is a context here of a sport for people of all ages, like muniaddict is trying to explain, that suggests that a certain amount of decorum is warranted here.

I’m suggesting that the N* word is out of context in a forum that is primarily about unicycles. Unis that are rode by people from ages 5 to 70. That is a diverse group of people.

I believe that art should stretch the senses, even offend. But the days when using the N* word in a rap song being was fresh, shocking, brave, are many years long gone. MANY years long gone. NWA/Easy-E kind of took it as far as it could go in the late 80’s early 90’s.

True enough that I can mute the video. Didn’t think of that because as was pointed out the music is part of the ‘artwork’ of the video. I like the different styles of music. But when I watched the 3rd video in two days with liberal use of the N* word, I decided to post my feelings on the matter.

Lastly I’m not asking for any changes or rule to be instituted. This is a public forum with a fairly wide latitude for expression. Instead I’m asking the young video makers to stretch out a bit and do something more creative than another rap with the N* word being used every 20 seconds just for shock value.

Sighhhhhhhhh…The fact that this has to be discussed shows how coarse our social interactions have become over the last few decades. There was a time when all people knew the generally accepted rules of public behavior. Now offensive or derogatory language is the norm on TV, in music and apparently in unicycle forums. This is one vote to keep it clean.

As the father of four kids, I do believe it is possible to teach them what is acceptable, but the current media culture makes it much harder to make the lessons stick. Sometimes I feel like King Chanute - commanding the tide of popular culture to recede.

When did I become my father?

That sounds really cool to say but it really doesn’t mean anything. Words clearly have meaning, you are expecting the F-bomb to shock us, or at the very least to make a point.

You are using words to defend the use of other words.

I assume you have a job. Did you drop the f-bomb during your interview?

If I came on to your GF, or called her a ‘whore’ would you stand idly by? Somehow I don’t think so, no matter how many times I told you “words are just that, let it go”

If I told you to shut the F* up, I would fully expect people to jump all over me in your defense and I would fully expect at least a warning via a PM. See it doesn’t really matter what you or I think words do or don’t mean. It’s the consensus, or the authority, that defines meaning.

Do you think that you or I could not type one sentence in this forum that would get us banned? I wouldn’t take that bet.

Why not give it a try. Write something highly ‘complimentary’ about Gilby. G’ head, see what happens. Be sure to use the F* word and N* word in your post. Throw in MF and CSer as well. Let’s see how well your “words are just that” theory goes over.