muni tires

The one tire I have never seen anyone ever run, and have heard nothing about whatsoever, is the 24 x 3 inch Arrow “Wide Bite” with “slow reraction” rubber. I believe “slow reaction” means the rubber compound is super sticky (low durometer), which would make it very handy on rocks and natural trials, though street riding might wear it out quickly. They are listd at 40 bucks. They might be the tire of choice if anyone ever bothers to try one out.

JL

There are TWO arrow “wide bites” in 24x3. One is $39 (standard rubber) and $48. This version is called “Wide bite SR”. It utilizes a much tackier, softer rubber compound. The downside is, it wears out much faster. They are both 24x3. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, I spoke directly with a rep at Go-ride, and he said the arrow brand is really no better than the duro, which is about half the price! As for other 24x3’s, the rep also stated that he has no other tires in that size; no kujo, no maxxis, no gazz…nada!

Kenda Kinetics 2.6

Bummer that the 24x3 tyre selection at Go-Ride has gotten low. I have a 24x3 Kujo that I got from Go-Ride so I know they had that tyre at one time.

I just looked at the IRC Tire site and I don’t see the Kujo line any more. The choices for muni suitable DH tires seems to be getting smaller. DH bikes are going to tubeless and skinnier tires.

I just looked in my storage closet and I only have 3 new unused 24x3 Gazza tires, 2 used 24x3 Gazza tires, and a 24x3 IRC Kujo, plus the two in use Gazza tires that are on my muni and spare muni wheel. I thought I had more Gazza tires. Maybe one or two is hiding.

I got the kinetics.

24x3" Tire Selection

UDC just doubled the price of the 24x3" Gazzi inner tubes! I think that $20 for an inner tube is too much! I ordered wto Duro instead at $10 each.

As I said before I am quite happy with the Duro but thought that maybe ingnorance is bliss. That is that I don’t know what I am missing. A lot of people dis the Duro but I think they are wrong. I just ordered another Duro Tire so that I will have a spare. They seem to last for a long time under rugged use. I think that the other brands might be more expensive unjustifiably. Kind of like the Shop Right Frosted Sugar Flakes are just as good as Kellogs but half the price.

Anyway if other manufacturers stop making 24x3" tires maybe the Duro price will go down with the increased sales! However it could also go up with less competition being out there. I don’t think that we as unicyclist have to wory about a future lack of 3" tires. We might have to go tubeless but I don’t think that would be a bad thing! I think that as of now Unicyclist purchase more 3" tires that bicyclist do. I have never seen a Bicyclist with 3" tires.

Unicorn

I actually prefer the Duro - seems to suit my riding. It’s a more curved section than the Gazz and I reckon it’s easier to control. I must admit I’ve ridden a few thousand miles on a Duro and not many at all on Gazz so my experience is rather biased by what I’m used to, but when I’ve ridden people’s unicycles with Gazz tyres I’ve found them much harder to control. Lots of people prefer the Gazz though - perhaps they’re better on really extreme stuff that I don’t tend to ride.

Rob

Has anyone noticed that the sidewalls of the gazz wear out before the tread. Myself and several friends have noticed that with big hits and more extreme riding, the sidewalls start to show white threads and then begin to bulge, making the wheel appear to be severely out of true. Did we just happen to run into a bad batch of tires or has anyone else noticed this weakness in the gazz? BTW i prefer the gazz over the duro.

duro wildlife is good

Make sure your storage is well locked!!:smiley: There might be a black market for Gazz starting!

Terry wrote:

“There are TWO arrow “wide bites” in 24x3. One is $39 (standard rubber) and $48. This version is called “Wide bite SR”. It utilizes a much tackier, softer rubber compound. The downside is, it wears out much faster. They are both 24x3. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, I spoke directly with a rep at Go-ride, and he said the arrow brand is really no better than the duro, which is about half the price!”

Not sure that rep really knew the whole deal here. As someone else mentioned on this thread, the sidewalls, even on the Gazz, tend to go before the tread, which likewise is true with the Duro. You can start seeing the weave of the ply on the sidewalls after a month or so, whence the tire starts getting a lot mushier. The main difference between the Arrow and the Gazz and Duro is that the sidewalls don’t break down like this. At all.

I’m so used to the Duro that I haven’t ridden the Arrow through a full life cycle (my back up Muni has the Arrow on it) so I don’t know much beyond this.

JL

I remember a discussion between Ken Looi and Tony Melton on the Arrow. I think it was supposed to be the 3” but it measured more like 2.6” and the side wall was a bit soft. One of them (can’t remember which) said it wandered more on sloped and rutted terrain in comparison to the Gaz 3”.

KH has said he preffers the Duro over the Gaz.

None of the 3" tires actually measure 3". It also depends on the width of the rim used. The 24x3 Gazz actually measures about 2.75". Something that actually measures an honest 2.6"+ would still be in the 3" family of tires. But anything smaller than that and I’d stop calling it a 3".

well, the uni came today, and other everything is awesome, except for the duro.

the duro grips like waxed glass. There are a few boulders by my house that I can get up no problem on my trials unicycle(with a maxxis CC), but the duro didn’t even grip at all.

oh well, hopefully my kinetics comes tommorow.

I have a 20x2.35 Kinetics, I rode it on the front of my BMX for a while, it’s got an insane amount of grip.

It’s pretty much as wide as the Creepy Crawler.

cool.

Im getitng the 2.6" version

A lot of new tires will have a film or skin on the rubber when new. It’s usually due to the release agent used to get the tire out of the mold during manufacture. Wear through that film or skin and the rubber underneath will be grippy. You can speed that up by riding on concrete or rubbing down the tire with sandpaper.

ill give that a go.