Muni shoe

Kinda HARD TO DO THAT when you buy them online! :roll_eyes:

Mmmmm. Tried to do that once, they didnā€™t fit. I think it was because theyā€™re online a few inches long when theyā€™re on your screen, I guess they get bigger in the mail. Anyhow, turns out new computer monitors are more expensive than shoes, so I didnā€™t try that again. Still, how was I to know that would happen?

Freeriding is a style of mountain biking; the termā€™s been around longer than KH unicycles, although Kris was present when this type of riding emerged in the Vancouver/North Shore cycling scene in the 1990s.

Back on topic ā€¦ I have the Impact Mids, too, and like the protection they offer from impacts to the ankle (from cranks, etc.), but also think they do offer, if minimally, extra support against ankle rolling. I donā€™t have the strongest ankles in the world (and ought to cough get some ankle braces), but have had far fewer problems with my ankles since buying these shoes.

As for the relative merits of 661s vs 5-10s, itā€™s simply a YMMV. Too many good riders on these fora have extolled the Duallys for me to dismiss them as a viable muni shoe.

So whatā€™s your beef? You bought some shoes online that didnā€™t fit you, and itā€™s the shoesā€™ fault? The manufacturer should have measured your feet before deciding how big to make the toes?

MUni Shoes/Boots

I find that the foot pedal connection is very important for Muni.

I used to wear army boots when riding MUni. They are steel toed and reach half way up my shin providing great ankle support. In addition the part covering my ankle is like 4mm thick leather - A great brase but not thick enough to keep on hitting the cracks. Another cool thing was that I would wedge the heel behind the pedal. They were great riding boots.

For the last few months though I have been using Sketcher Action Shoes. They are kind of like high top shoes made of thick leather. They have a padded toungue and thier soles are made of soft rubber and they are curved in just a little bit right in the middle. This makes for a great pedal sole connection.

Unicorn

No beef, just clarifying thatā€™s the reason why I couldnā€™t try them on first. Iā€™ve bought several pairs of shoes online but this was the only pair that gave me problems. I still may be able to get them stretched a bit more in the toe area.:smiley:

I was told by the doctor not to wear ankle braces, cos in the long term they weaken your ankles, as youā€™re not getting the minor impacts on them that strengthen them. Obviously if you already have super weak ankles it might be different.

Joe

I use steel toe sketchers. Mid ankle height and w/ ankle braces. Two pairs of socks.
Not great traction on walking up hills. Sometimes they feel like bricks when Iā€™m riding but my toes have survived all of the boulders I have kicked.

Maybe over kill. I do like the support and protection of a hiking shoe than a skateboard shoe.

thanks for the new ideas!

yep.
at least, usually.
ive got a pair of $7 shoes from wall mart that i throw on when i want to seriously practice downhill gliding for extended periodsā€¦(for me it isnā€™t so bad on the shoes when i do it on flat)

Iā€™ve been wearing a pair of running shoes that i wore smooth on the bottoms from running cross country. Iā€™ve only found ONE pair of decent shoes that actually fits, though, so I just ordered a new pair half a size larger and am planning on running enough to wear this pair down to gliding style as wellā€¦

Terry, you havnā€™t learned to glide yet?
tsk, tsk.
Both Mark and I have only been riding for like 6 months(i couldnā€™t even freemount 'til 3 months ago) and we can glideā€¦of course, half the time when iā€™m ā€œglidingā€ its more of a coastā€¦(coast a rev, foot brushes against wheel, checks speed, gets back in controll so i donā€™t have to do the large upper body coasting corrections,coast 3/4 rev, ect.)

Shoe sizing for different brands (and even different styles within a brand) are not always consistent. Some brands also just have a different fit even though the same size.

The 661 shoes are based on the European metric shoe sizing measurements. And they only go in full metric sizes. The metric sizes donā€™t match up well with the US sizing and without having half size metric sizes they miss broad ranges of typical sizes in the US sizing system. European metric shoes also often have a different fit (width and shape) than typical US sized shoes.

The 661 US sizes are based on approximate fits with the US size system. They arenā€™t true US shoe sizes.

And to make it even more confusing the 661 MTB clipless shoes fit differently than the 661 BMX style flat shoes. For example, I wear a size 44 for the 661 clipless shoes and a size 45 for the 661 Dually.

Pasted below is a shoe sizing chart comparing US sizes and metric sizes. There is a similar chart printed on the 661 shoe boxes. It is unfortunate that 661 doesnā€™t do half sizes as that would make the shoes a better fit for more people. Iā€™d love to have a 44.5 in the Dually as that would likely fit me better.

You seem to have the bad luck of having a foot size that doesnā€™t match well with the 661 shoe sizes.

ShoeSizeChart.gif

I just never practiced nearly enough to learn, (maybe 1 hour all total!) I guess I was just a lot more interested in MUni and doing big drops and stuff.

Congrats on learning how to glide, but Iā€™m sure that you and your friend have put in much more practice into learning that than I ever did.

we donā€™t even live in the same country, we just learn at about the same rate :stuck_out_tongue:
nah, it only took me about a day or so to learn the actual gliding bitā€¦but now im working towards gliding pirrouettes and junk like thatā€¦

Well if it took you just ONE day to learn gliding, then you are a unicycling prodigy! Of course, you probably already had learned how to ww first, then progressed to 1-foot ww before you learned gliding right? Thatā€™s usually how it goes.

Did you also learn 1-foot ww in just one day as well? I was just never very keen on even trying to learn gliding and other stuff like crank flips and that stuff. At least not at this point. I donā€™t have a trials uni either, which is the size uni of choice if you do want to learn that stuff, not a heavier Muni, with a large marge rim, maguras and all that, which is what I have.

But I can do a Kick-up mount on my 36er! Can you? :slight_smile: Tsk, tsk, lol!