MUni rust

I’ve been doing a lot of MUni in the snow lately, and although I do my best to get my unicycle as snow free as possible after the ride, I’m starting to get some rust. The main thing that’s rusting is my Profile cranks. They’ve gotten very scratched up from being dropped on rocks all the time, and the scratches are all rusty now. Also the place where the spider was ground off on the left crank arm.

Has this happened to any of you? Any ideas on how to prevent it? Beyond the fact that it looks crappy, is it likely to cause any strength issues?

Ben

Your uni isn’t gonna rust up so much that it breaks while you ride it. It’s just surface rust you detect. (unless you abandon it in a snow bank or something, I suppose)

One thing you can do is hose your uni off when you come home. Hosing off all the yucky outside elements with clean water, and drip drying is a really good thing. (you can let it sit until the next time you need it…no need to dry it off)

Also, if you do detect rust, spray WD-40 into the scrubby part of a sponge (you know…the stiff krinkly side) and wipe down the rusty spots, then hose off. The rust will go away.

This has worked many years with my bike (a lot more moving , more complex parts…and my unicycles)

Re: MUni rust

It shouldn’t cause any problems. If you really want to prevent it, clean off all the rust and then coat with clear nail polish or some other protective coating.

Nail polish? Let’s get this right: yer actual Unicycle Death Squad goes out armed to the teeth, raiding local gang territory, gapping from tall building to tall building, and rail riding the roofbars of moving SUVs, before trecking miles throught the frozen Arctic wastes… then they go home and use their nail files to remove the rust, nail varnish to treat the scratches, and lipstick to cover unsightly marks on their seat covers? You guys are sooooo macho.:stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t forget that some of us macho guys go home and slip on some nice swim wear.

Re: MUni rust

Mikefule wrote:
>
> Nail polish? Let’s get this right: yer actual Unicycle Death Squad
> goes out armed to the teeth, raiding local gang territory, gapping from
> tall building to tall building, and rail riding the roofbars of moving
> SUVs, before trecking miles throught the frozen Arctic wastes… then
> they go home and use their nail files to remove the rust, nail varnish
> to treat the scratches, and lipstick to cover unsightly marks on their
> seat covers? You guys are sooooo macho.:stuck_out_tongue:

LOL!

What they didn’t tell you is that they also wear high heel shoes and
fire rounds of daisy flowers from assault riffles whilst riding. :wink:

Jason

If you want to protect the inside of the cranks, or the frame, you could get some “frame saver” , rust preventer for bike frames. it’s about $13 and you should be able to oder it at any local bike shop (that can order from quality bike parts). Iv got a can but I havent tried it yet.

OK Black Nail polish :smiley: