MUni riding in the rain

It’s Saturday morning Cape Town winter, I’m staring out the window at the rain bucketing down. Saturday morning is one of my MUni riding days and have been looking forward to going out for a ride since my last MUni ride on Tuesday. I was planning on going out and braving the bad weather, but the rain comes in waves and at times seems alright and the next it’s pouring.

I don’t mind the wet, it’s the cold that bothers me more, and the very slippery terrain. I’ve been trying to will myself to go out for the last hour and a half, but seeing as I am already cold being indoors it’s really putting me off. There will be those that say they ride in snow blizzards so what’s the problem ? Well… I suppose it’s what you’re used to and in Cape Town the coldest we get is probably around 5 degrees Celsius, throw in the wet and the wind chill factor and it seems it’s going to be rather unpleasant.

Being out and then getting caught in the rain is one thing, but do any of you purposefully venture out into bad weather to go riding ? Seeing as rain and dodgy weather is forecast until next week Thursday I will probably be doing it as I cannot wait until next week Friday to go for another ride… just not today :slight_smile:

So guess I’ll be in front of the television watching the start of the Tri-Nations rugby tournament, South Africa vs. New Zealand… should be a good game with it being billed as the Rugby World Cup Final that should have been.

I would say it is the heat that makes riding in rain difficult. Rain gear gives poor ventilation and the increase of body heat makes me tired. But I agree that a rainy day always seems worse from inside a window. Once you get home after the ride you won’t have any regrets.

I’m having one of those days today.

Did you say there was rugby on TV?

Yes. I remember riding trials and street in the pouring rain. It’s rather fun, but takes a bit of getting used to, as everything is so slippery and the water sloshing from the sky can be disorienting.

Also, I remember riding my uni through a huge puddle in a middle of a field, back and forth, falling in, getting up and riding and falling in again… My clothes could end the world thirst by the end of the exercise.

Rain is fine.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

MUni has been my salvation for keeping in shape during our rainy season. MUni in the rain is fun, especially if you can ride somewhere that’s mostly under the trees.

Some terrain gets very hard when it gets wet. Rock face climbs are really tough, and descents can get slippery. When your one wheel skids, you’re in trouble.

Yup… and we lost :frowning: The All Blacks are really strong, but we put up a good fight. Was a great game to watch with the defense on both sides tight. Although the sore looser in me is going to say that the All Blacks should have had a player red carded in the 5th minute for a dangerous spear tackle after the whistle which sparked a massive free-for-all brawl in the middle of the field.

Agree with you on this one, and is part of my problem. I only have kit to deal with normal weather. I do have a very light water proof jacket (90grams), but it unfortunately offers no protection from the cold.

Today’s weather is the same as yesterday except that the wind is stronger :frowning: Reckon it’s time to take a trip to the local sports store to see if I can get some winter active gear.