Muni Questions???

Here are my questions…

1. Is there a formula for determining ideal tire pressure for Muni. I have a 24x3 Duo Leopard. I have done it too hard and now I am concerned it is not hard enough. Anyone bend their rim not having enough air? I have read some pinching tubes. I feel like I am either too bouncy, or about to fall with every little bump.

2. Going uphill do you try to pedal fast and go up the hill with momentum? Do you hold the seat or not? When you get to the point of stalling do you jam down on the pedals sort of wiggling your way up? In other words what sort of technique have you found best to climb hills?

3. Going Downhill do you hold the seat? If you come to a 12-24 inch drop do you try to roll it or fly over it similiar to on a bike. When you go downhill do you try to break or pedal fast and hold on for the ride? Again, What technique do you find best on downhills?

4. On the flats… What is a good cadence for a 24" (3 inch Duo Leopard) with 170’s? What should I set as a goal? Sometimes I feel like an old lady is going to pass me walking her beagle! What technique do you find helpful when riding the flats of a trail? I feel like my legs are pumping like a locamotive with very little to show for it, but I don’t really know how I am comparing to others. I don’t want to find out in 3 weeks when I get to Memphis that I am too slow!

Thanks for you input and help in advance. Chirokid need not respond. You can’t be trusted.:smiley:

There are some good muni tips at Muniac’s Tips and Techniques page. The tips there cover tire pressure, inclines, declines, and more.

The ideal tire pressure with a fat tire is a compromise. You want it soft enough so you get some cushion, traction, and bounce when jumping. But you don’t want it so soft that you get pinch flats, folds over, or gets harder to control. Tire pressure will also depend on your riding style and the terrain.

For uphills you need to hold the seat. Let the wheel wiggle under you as you mash down on the pedals. Don’t try to force the wheel to stay perfectly straight like you’re riding a skinny. Pacing and technique is important. Try to remember to pedal in circles and not just mash the pedals in a square. Point the toes down at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Pull back at the bottom of the pedal stroke like you’re scraping mud off your shoe. Experiment with different seat heights. A higher seat is generally easier for climbing. For long climbs I’ll often raise my seat a bit just for the climb. When the climb is over I’ll lower the seat back to my regular muni height.

Hold on the the seat when going downhill. Apply a constant back pressure on the pedals to keep the speed in control. Try to apply the back pressure evenly. If you mash on the pedals to back pedal you’ll give up traction and control. Some people can let the unicycle run and go faster down hills, I’m not one of those people. I have to take it slow.

Whether to take a drop as just rolling off the drop or by slowing down and hopping off the drop depends on the landing and how comfortable you are in hitting the drop at a random pedal position. If there is a good transition on the landing (a gentle downhill slope) it will be easier to roll it and not worry too much about pedal position.

To go faster you pedal faster. Remember to use the ankles. Point the toes down at the bottom of the stroke. Pedal in circles. Pull back at the bottom of the stroke like you’re scraping mud off your shoe. Pedal as smoothly as you can. Hold on to the seat to help maintain control.

I should point out that I consider myself to be a slow rider. I’m not good at going fast. Take my advice about speed with a bit of salt.

Re: Muni Questions???

I am hurt, deeply hurt! :frowning:
In addition, any question you have is “too little, too late” loser. :smiley: --chirokid–
PS: Let me share a little secret: To go fast downhill, place both foot on the fork crown and let that uni coast. It is the fasted way down.
PPS: My workout today: Ran 12 miles, Unicycle 22.6 miles, Muni 8.4 miles, Swam 50 laps in pool. Also did 300 ball push-ups, 150 pull-ups, 150 dips, and 200 jump lunges, and that was all before breakfast. Good Luck on the 4th. LOL

Re: Re: Muni Questions???

See you just can’t be trusted. Oh yea I have noticed that you haven’t been online much. You must really be putting in the miles! One last thing, was that before or after your dozen Krispy Kream Donuts. :smiley:

John, Thanks for the tips. I guess much of what you said is sort of what I am doing. I don’t really have anyone around to compare myself to, so it is difficult to tell if I am on the right track. Somehow I doubt that the Profile Crusher is slow on the trails! I will be sure to check out the muniac for more tips. Chad

Re: Re: Re: Muni Questions???

But I am slow. I’m slow in terms of sprinting and being able to maintain a high cadence. I am also slow in being able to maintain a fast speed on the trails. I’m not up with the lead group in a group muni ride like the California Muni Weekend.

Sprinting speed is how you go fast on the smooth sections of the trail. Things like dirt roads and smooth sections of trail. You have to be able to maintain a high cadence. I can’t spin really fast and I don’t like maintaining a high cadence.

Maintaining a constant and high speed on the trails over technical bits requires skill and technique. The fast people pretty much float over the bumps and roots and rocks and stutter bumps. I plow through the bumpy bits like a steamroller. I’m not floating over the bumps at all. I have to slow down to power my way over the bumps.

The fast riders hop and float over the bumps. Where I slow down and power over a root they will maintain speed and do a small rolling hop that lands them on or over the root. On the bumpy bits they float lightly where I plow through.

Being able to ride fast on the trails means riding smoothly, using small rolling hops to get over roots and to smooth out the trail, and not slowing down for anything. A high level of fitness also helps.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Muni Questions???

So is Harper a floater or a steamroller. Do you think those that float maintain a higher air pressure in their tires? I seem to be more of a steam roller myself. Of course my technique, balance and fitness are all suffering. I figure with experience some of those wil improve. My concern is/was that practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practise makes perfect. I don’t really want to get into the habbit of doing it wrong if I can learn to do it correctly from the beggining. One thing that I haven’t been doing was holding my seat. My next few rides, I will practice holding the seat more. Thanks for the tips again.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Muni Questions???

I am almost always holding the seat handle while riding muni. I don’t do a lot hands free. I’ll sometimes see if I can do a climb hands free as an added challenge. I’ll also ride hands free when I need both arms for balance for things like skinnies. Otherwise, my right hand is on the handle.

The people who float over the bumps are the same people who have mastered the rolling hop. It’s not a beginner level skill. If it was easy I’d be able to do it well.

Work on riding with one hand holding the seat handle. Get comfortable riding like that. With your hand on the handle you can recover from unexpected bumps more often and you can manhandle the muni more.

Re: Muni Questions???

There has already been some expert advice from John Childs, but here’s some more:

No formula. Too many variables to consider, one of the biggest of which is the size and sharpness of the bumps you ride on. My basic rule of thumb is to to keep your rim off the ground. This covers weight, riding style, and pretty much everything else. Don’t do big drops or come fast into sharp rocks? You can have lower pressure than someone who does.

How you get up the hill depends on the size and steepness of the hill. Little hills can be conqured with some momentum. I pretty much always hold the seat. If I’m not holding the seat when going up, down, or over hard stufff, I’m doing it on purpose to increase the challenge. I try not to get to the point of stalling. But if the hill is steep (and fairly long), I’m going to get into a “cranking mode.” That’s where you progress half a revolution at a time, with little pauses in between. The key is to always get past the dead spot in your pedal stroke, and to finish each push with a little bit of forward momentum left over, so your body gets ahead of the wheel again for the next one. This “cranking” mode can be done at various speeds, down to and including mini-stillstands between pedals, to help you catch your breath. Master this technique and you can pretty much ride up anything rollable, nonstop. If you’re in good enough shape.

I pretty much always hold the seat. What I do at a 1-2’ drop depends a lot on what’s after it. If it’s smooth sailing on the other side, I can just roll off, and make sure I land with a good pedal position. To do this, just keep the pedals turning until they’re where you want them for landing.

I always try not to “break” when I go downhill. Ouch. :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry, lots of people misspell that word. It’s possible to “roll out” on steep downhills, if it’s within your ability to keep up with. I’m more chicken about these than many of the people I ride with. Again it depends what’s right after the steep part. Just remember, once you get going fast, you’ll either need a way to slow down (less steep), or you’re going to be running at some point.

There is no good cadence for such a small wheel with such long cranks. :frowning: You have the cranks for the steeps, but they kind of get in the way on the flats. That said, it is possible to accommodate to them and get some decent speed. If you’re new to the long cranks, you’ll have to work on teaching your feet to make nice, round circles. Basically, practice by riding a fast speed that you can maintain, and making your pedal stroke as smooth as possible. If you’re bouncing around on the seat, you’re not there yet. I also feel the pumping sensation on my MUni with 170s, especially if I’ve been riding something with shorter cranks.

Finally, the best way to find out how you’re going to do against other riders, is to ride with them. Treasure your first experience of competitive unicycing. And have fun!

Re: Re: Muni Questions???

So, in other words, we (Buggie and I) should know who has what on whom, the day before the event. Not very helpful, right Bugs? LOL --chirokid–

Re: Re: Re: Muni Questions???

Dude, you got a dozen years of riding on me, and you have gone riding with others. I think you have a pretty good idea where you stand. Don’t misconstrue the fact that I could suicide mount before you as any indicator of my skill level. I could suicide mount before I could idle. I look forward to the ride, and want to do my best. If I end up beating you on this ride, I will be speachless.:smiley:
But don’t count on that. My goal at this point is to not be totally humiliated.:o

Re: Re: Re: Re: Muni Questions???

April 4th is all about having a wonderful day of Muni with your fellow Uni-brothers. Sort of like a Family Reunion of sorts. It is not about winning or losing, until you lose. :smiley: --chirokid–