Muni Pedals for sticky shoes ... ?

I’ve got a pair of five-ten mountain bike shoes, as recommended by John Long and others. They have a wickedly sticky sole, so much so that they actually make it really hard to rearrange my feet on my current pedals (Shimano DX platforms). The DX pedals are pretty sweet–wide, supportive, and grippy as all get out. But the combination of pedals/shoes gives me more grip than I want.

So I’m actually looking for a pedal that’s not quite so grippy. I’m wondering if the Jim C pedals, or the Hoffman Solemates, which many on the fora recommend for trials and street, would be a good option for me. As I understand it, having too much grip in street riding isn’t a great thing. What do you think?

Also, any suggestions from those of you who also use the same shoes would be welcome.

id be interested in this too. Got a pair of those shoes through yesterday and yes they are VERY grippy. was thinking of grinding the pins down a little bit on the pedals as they are quite long.

dan

I use DMR V8s with Five-Ten Impact shoes. They stick like limpets, but I like it that way - don’t like my feet getting bounced around the pedals on rocky trails. Some people don’t like that much grip and say they can’t correct their foot position, but I find it easy enough to move my feet using the “tilt and swivel” method.

I’ve got a pair of VP566 (sort of DX copies) on my coker, and they are a lot less grippy - but I find they feel very insecure and I’m thinking of putting V8s on that as well.

Rob

I’ve got those 5.10 shoes as well. It is difficult to re-arrange the feet on the pedals, but tilt-and-swivel works with a bit of extra effort. It’s worth the extra effort to me because they grip so well once the feet are in position.

I say the soulmates. the pins aren’t too long and they are awesome. I love mine.

don’t try solving this problem by throwing more money at it…

You have nice pedals…i run them on my race bike.

They have removable pins, they came with long pins, and short pins, the short pins came installed, i but you installed the long pins.

Remove some long pins and switch them out for short ones. mix and match. you can adjust how much grip you want to run…

easy as pie, and it was free.

Sole mates.

'Nuff said.

That’s really good advice–thanks. I’ll see if I can find those old short pins (I did replace them when I got the pedals back a few years, but didn’t remember it until you said so). I’ll try the mix-n-match, and if I can’t find a good combo, I’ll give the Soulmates a try. I appreciate the low-cost solution!

Oh, and in response to some others–I also love the grippiness of the shoes and pedals together, and absolutely love the glued-on feeling when my feet are placed right–but I really can’t seem to get the twist-and-rearrange method going for me. I end up getting my foot on in the wrong position and the shoe is just stuck to the pedal, even when I try to tilt and/or lift. I basically have to pull my foot almost all the way off the pedal to rearrange, and given the rough terrain I ride on (and my only enthusiast-level skills), that’s often a difficult combination to work successfully.

I also have the five-ten’s and I love 'em! You’re right about it being very tricky to adjust your foot position once you’re on there and riding, especially when you combine these boots with “drillium” pedals! WOW! So I simply removed 4 pins from each side (16 total) leaving 6 pins per side, which turns out to be the magic number that allows me to repositon my shoes, without sacrificing any traction.

I also have the five-ten’s and I love 'em! You’re right about it being very tricky to adjust your foot position once you’re on there and riding, especially when you combine these boots with “drillium” pedals! WOW! So I simply removed 4 pins from each side (16 total) leaving 6 pins per side, which turns out to be the magic number that allows me to repositon my shoes, without sacrificing any traction.