Muni or Trials?

well i just recked my unicyle and now im looking for another one. the only thing is i dont know what to get, a trials or Muni? i will eventually get both but i dont have enough money for both right now. since Muni is cheaper i was woundering if i could still do some trials with it untill i got a real trials? thank you so much if you reply because this disition is stressing me out :thinking:

Id go with the trials if i was you. 20". But they say it is easier to do trials on a 24" than it is to do Muni on a 20". Justin Kohse (unibrow) is all about the trials on 24" wheelsets.

But like i said trials and street all the way!

Why not freestyle; it’s cheaper than both Muni or Trials!

I would but theres a lack of gyms here and also i like something i can do year round outside thats why i started to unicycle;)

I almost never freestyle in a gym! Just do it outside on the pavement like most of us wannabe freestylers. Well, maybe not wannabe, but those of us who aren’t at an Irene, Ryan, or even JSM level. Even JSM practices in a tennis court I think.

Well maybe i will look into freestyle

By the way, riding muni on a 20" trials isn’t impossible at all, my friend does it, and he’s doing pretty well.

I do it too, better get a decent trial bike, Qu-Ax or something, and get a 24" later, you’re probably looking at the Cross uni’s now? They suck. You pay less, but you get less aswell, you can always do trials, just have to go out, find some benches, walls at schools n stuff, schools usually have some pretty leet things… Anyway, I really, really like muni, I like it better than trial, yet I hardly ever do it, the track is only 5km away, but it’s still easier, and about as fun to just do trials, if I do go muni, I go for about 2 hours (the track is 15km, I don’t go to fast, so that’s about 15km in 2 hours, with stops and everything) Ehm, I lost what I was talking about, but get a 20"…

A muni with a splined hub is going to cost about the same as a trials uni with a splined hub. There isn’t much of a cost differential although a trials uni will generally be slightly less.

If you’re thinking trials at all you’re almost certainly going to want a splined hub for a muni or a trials uni. It’s too easy to bend cranks and break hubs with the standard square tapered (cotterless) hub.

Muni with a trials uni sucks. The cranks are longer in proportion to the wheel size and they are closer to the ground. That results in all sorts of pedal strike problems as you ride. The small trials wheel does not roll over roots and rocks and stuff nearly as well as a 24" muni. With the trials uni you’ll end up needing to stop and hop over roots that can be rolled over smoothly with a proper muni. Then there is the problem of speed. Muni on a trials uni feels like you’re standing still. Muni on a 24" uni at least feels like you’re moving.

I have a trials uni and a muni. I would never consider taking the trials uni out for a muni ride because it would completely suck. I do take my muni out for trials type rides. It can do trials without sucking.

You can do trials with a 24" muni and a 3" or 2.6" tire. You lose a little bit of jump height and the transition from a pedal grab or crank grab to rubber is more difficult. But other than that you can still jump on things, jump off things, ride down stairs, ride on skinnies, and do other trials type things.

I bought my muni before i bought my trials… it will come any day now! Both of them onza. :slight_smile:

John childs is absolutley correct, muni won’t be any fun on a trialuni, but trials is not only possible on a 24", it goes pretty well too! The thing i miss is that u have to choose between my Funi (freestyle) and my Muni whenever i go somewhere, do i want trial and muni, or do i want freestyle?
I can’t wheelwalk on the muni, and it’s no good for anything near freestyle…
And i think it’s good practise to do trials on a muni, or i guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Get a muni!

I bought my muni before i bought my trials… it will come any day now! Both of them onza. :slight_smile:

John childs is absolutley correct, muni won’t be any fun on a trialuni, but trials is not only possible on a 24", it goes pretty well too! The thing i miss is that u have to choose between my Funi (freestyle) and my Muni whenever i go somewhere, do i want trial and muni, or do i want freestyle?
I can’t wheelwalk on the muni, and it’s no good for anything near freestyle…
And i think it’s good practise to do trials on a muni, or i guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Get a muni!
Edit: The onza muni is only at 6.5 kg, so it’s light enough for trials, that’s for sure, and it feels quite quick on the trails to :slight_smile:

MUNI

Muni for life.

Justin Koshe does some trials on a 24"
Patrick rode across the U.S. on a 24"
jsm does freestyle on a 24"
Lots of people do M-uni on a 24"

I just can’t belive that, I don’t care if someone video taped it the entire way, I just can’t belive it, I’ve DRIVEN across the United States… and ridding a 24" unicycle… its just impossible, it can’t happen, just can’t happen, The US is HUGE! I knew it was huge, i’ve flown across it many times, but never have I had the respect I do now for the size of this country after driving across it.

Moreover, he’s not the only one to cross the U.S. on a 24"

…

If the DOT DOT DOT wasn’t enough: this means you’ve never tried it on a trials uni then? So you can’t really judge?

I have tried muni trails on a trials uni. My trials uni has Profile cranks which are a little more than 145mm long. The cranks are too long for muni. Always hitting the pedals on the ground or something else along the trail.

If your idea of muni is to get from point A to point B on the trail then the trials uni is not the way to do it. It’s an exercise in slow motion frustration.

If your idea of muni is to play on the stumps, logs, rocks and that little hill over there all in a limited area then you can get by with a trials uni. But in that case all you’re doing is natural trials and calling it a muni ride.

The only reason to use a trials uni as a muni is if you’re young (like under 10) and can’t yet fit a 24" uni. Then put short cranks on it (125’s or shorter) so you can avoid some of the pedal strikes and then pedal like the wind to keep up with everyone else.

There are hardly any rocks there (Holland eh?) as it’s a proffesional mountainbike track, I do sometimes hit some stumps or roots however, you’re right about a 24" being better on it ofcourse, but you CAN do it on a trials unicycle, and CrazyUni here typed:

“since Muni is cheaper i was woundering if i could still do some trials with it untill i got a real trials?”

Muni is actually more expensive, I’m planning to buy a 24" muni after I get my coker, I paid 250 euros for my trials uni, and am assuming to lose atleast 400 euros on my muni (no brake included yet)

Oh god, I’m losing it again, brb, gonna post this thread about some advice a trial biker gave me, ehm, John, you’re right about it being rubbish on a trials uni, but it’s quite possible…

I keep neglecting to add a qualification that muni depends on what your local trails are like. Not every place in the world has trails like what I ride. My comments about muni are often heavily biased based on the types of trails I like to ride and the way that I like to ride.

Some areas of the country have flat buff trails. Other areas have rolling hills. Other areas have loose sandy and rocky trails. Other areas have trails through the forest in the mountains and have exposed roots, ruts, and rocks. And then some places are the North Shore in BC.

It does depend on the types of trails that you plan on riding and on how big of a ride you normally do. A trials uni will do better as a muni in some areas than in others. I live in an area that has trails in the foothills and mountains. The trails are usually in the forest and have roots and rocks and there is almost always elevation change. A trials uni is no fun on those types of trails.