Muni-only race, Albany NY, Sunday, 25 Sept 2011

Muni-only race, Albany NY, Sunday, 25 Sept 2011, 10AM.
Announcing an off-road race open to unicycles only.

Watch this thread for the bikereg signup, coming in a day or two. There will be a fee to cover insurance and trail use.

FORMAT
This will be a race around a 3-4 mile lap course. Most laps in 2 hours wins, and if you cross the finish line at 1:59 you go out for a final lap (or not).

Also, a new option this year, for beginners, most laps in 1 hour wins.

There will be prizes for each category!

Race will start at 10am on Sunday 25 Sept, 2011.

COURSE
The race will be held at the mountain bike trails at Central Park, Schenectady NY. These are awesome trails for muni, ‘semi-technical’, as the MTB’ers call them. It’s a great mix of terrain including flowing single track, logs to hop over, boardwalks to ride, and lots of short but steep hills. We will announce the final course route later, but will aim for a 3-4 mile lap that will take the fastest riders ~30min to cover.

However, the course also has lots of open sections that even beginner muni riders can enjoy. A ‘something for everyone’ route, perfect for this race. This course has been done on a 24, 29, and 36, so most any size wheel is possible here. The 36er was not optimal on the steep hills, had to walk it up, and so is probably not the ideal ride. The 29er is faster for the flowy sections, the 24 might be better for getting over some of the logs.

WHAT ABOUT SATURDAY?
The race is close enough to NYC and Boston area that those riders might decide to just come up Sunday morning. Other riders may decide to come up the night before. For those folks, we will have group muni ride on another set of great trails nearby in the Albany Pine Bush Preserve.

Questions: call Ro (518-859-5235) or me (518-229-2320)

ACCOMMODATION
Steveyo and Rolandisimo have large enough yards to accommodate a few tents, first come first serve (I can even offer the tent). Otherwise, plenty of cheap hotels in the Albany area.

DIRECTIONS to race here

UPDATES: follow this thread

The family and I are starting to make plans for this.
Barring anything unforeseen, I’ll be there for the fun ride and race.

WHO’S COMING?

1. Roland (Albany)
  2. Steveyo (Albany)
  3. Buzz (Rochester)

Here’s the link to register.

The $25 covers insurance. Paying this effectively makes you a member of the HRRT racing team, and only has to be paid once per year. HRRT organizes a lot of races on this course over the year, I usually join 3-4 of them per year.

Its a fricking monsoon here right now, but this area drains well, so shouldn’t be bad for the race. There are about 6mi of total single-track out there, but we’ll cut it down to a ~2mi lap. I’ll finalize the course closer to the date and let you know what it includes.

Ro

I wonder if this is the first unicycle-only race up on Bikereg?

WHO’S COMING?

1. Roland (Albany)
  2. Steveyo (Albany)
  3. Buzz (Rochester)
  4. Jason Kahn (Chatham)

WHO’S COMING?

1. Roland (Albany)
  2. Steveyo (Albany)
  3. Buzz (Rochester)
  4. Jason Kahn (Chatham)
  5. Max DeMilner (Portsmouth, NH)

I checked with my wife, and was reminded of the numerous domestic duties and obligations we are committed to this month. This one won’t work, but my eyes are open for the next.

I think I’m totally down for this! Would probably come up Saturday and tent out that night.

How exciting! I’ll finally get a chance to ride with you, Kaycee. It’s going to be quite a weekend.

Added incentive - dinner at my house the night before, just help me get a headcount in terms of non-riders joining for dinner. We did this last year too and it was a fun night.
Ro

WHO’S COMING?

1. Roland (Albany)
  2. Steveyo (Albany)
  3. Buzz (Rochester)
  4. Jason Kahn (Chatham)
  6. Kaycee (New England

Kyle DeMilner is in, but I don’t think he’ll be joining us for dinner the night before.

I should be good for dinner. Awesome!
Emailing you…

SWEET! Psyched to see the Max and Kyle show next weekend.

Max - What about your dad, can he make it?

It’ll be a lobster fest!

Team Unicycle Max will be absent Papa Bear. We had our big family unicycle adventure this year already, so he’s tapped out of vacation days and his flying-to-the-east-coast-to-unicycle fund is a bit depleted.

This is going to be my first big ride with my sweet new muni, too. I’m glad I get to show it off among friends.

6 riders in the list. Are there any more to be added? I think we had 11 riders attend last year.

I registered, Any details on where to head if we are coming on Saturday? I am going to be tenting

Well Max may have forced my hand on this one, but yes, go ahead and add Kyle DeMilner (Parsippany, NJ) to the list. Looking forward to seeing some RTLers again.

Anyone have a loaner Muni for a mostly beginner? I’ld love to join you guys as I don’t have to be to work until 1:30 and I’m like 5 miles from the park. But I’ve only got that 20" Torker and the 24" Sun(not exactly trail worthy). If not, Liz and I will at least swing by to check it out.

-Rob

Rob - someone will definitely have an extra muni. Sign up and plan on riding your heart out!

To everyone who’s coming - bring an extra muni if you have one!

WHO’S COMING?

1. Roland (Albany)
  2. Steveyo (Albany)
  3. Buzz (Rochester)
  4. Jason Kahn (Chatham)
  6. Kaycee (New England
  7. Kyle DeMilner (Parsippany, NJ)
  8. Rob (Colonie, NY)

Done.

LAST MINUTE INVITE: NYC, MA (MtnUni guys)- Cap City Muni Race Albany

Here’s a special, personal invite to the
2nd Annual Cap City Muni Race

Beginner and Advanced categories.

Last minute invite: NYC, MA (MtnUni guys)
Y’all ought to come to this race. It’s on a super fun muni track, with plenty of technical bits to challenge you, but often with bail-out paths around, for newer riders. This is going to be an bonafied muni race just a little ways from you! Ya gotta!

First, to the NYC Unicycle Club - this race is easy to get to from NYC: only 2:30 from the GW, literally right off the highway in Schenectady. Why don’t we have half the club signed up for this?? There are dudes coming from New Jersey, and freakin’ Maine! :astonished:

What about you MtnUni dudes out there in MA? Probably under 3 hours for you, even if you’re in Boston!