Muni-only race, Albany NY, 26 Sept 2010

A few clips from the weekend. I think others have better pictures than I.

Picts are:
Saturday afternoon group ride
Premo over a pile of sticks
Race start
Dirty man award

There was a woman named Lisa at the race today, who may have heard of the race here. Lisa, if you see this, let me or Roland know your contact info and we’ll get you on the local uni’ers (CAPUNI - Capital Dist. Uni) email list, if you’d like.

I haven’t come down from my Schenectady muni high yet!. I glanced at some of my on-board GoPro video and some of it is sweet… especially the long skinny sections.
My wife Amy got some good pics too.

Roland and Steveyo, thanks for putting this together and great job! It was a blast and well worth the travel time.
And thanks to Roland’s family for helping out with so much at the race, and for preparing a great meal after Saturday’s fun ride.

Some comments about the times/places:

• Maybe 1/3 of the way through the first lap I caught up to Roland and Steveyo. Not because I’m that good (I’m not… yet ;)) but because they were messing with a camera mounted on Roland’s ride. I’m not sure how much time they spent messing with that camera, but it must have affected their times. Of course they still placed at the top.
  • I’m don’t know if I got the whole story, but Mark took a wrong turn somewhere and Roland had to find him and get him back on track. Someone said a mountain biker broke a barrier down causing some confusion. I assume this cost Roland and Mark more time.

Hey, Brad was at the fun ride but didn’t make it to the race. What happened? :thinking:

Driving west on 7 in Schenectady, I had one more right turn to get to the race. But then I saw a sign that said:

SCHENECTADY MUNI
GOLF COURSE
<—

(sorry for poor image, didn’t take pic. this is google streetview image)

I knew the golf course was to the left, but I thought the muni was supposed to be to the right.
I wasn’t fooled, turned right and found the race just fine. But someone needs to fix that sign! :wink:

schenectady_muni_sign.JPG

Roland let Mark take a short cut after his wrong turn, and that evened out his distance to the right amount. Roland, however rode extra to go retrieve Mark, and then he still caught and passed me.

Brad was in Albany riding a Habitat for Humanity century ride on his bike.

Yeah, funny sign, I laugh at that every time I drive to those trails. Glad to see I wasn’t the only one laughing!

ro

Steve, please include me on that list for CAPUNI baker999@roadrunner.com Also a very big Thanks to Roland and family for putting on the race. Will the showing of CBS Morning be posted on this thread?

OK, Tom, you’re on the list. It was great to finally ride with you, dude!

I’ve got some pics and my GoPro footage.
I want to create an edited video, but it will take me some time. I’m a novice at editing, there’s a lot of material, and work and family come first.
The good news is I’m sick, so riding won’t be getting in the way. :roll_eyes:

Here’s a post race pic:

Finally got my video finished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Qw2UFHxP0

Sweet vid, Buzz. You linking this on facebook?

Supercool. Nice job on the skinnies. I like the flareouts on the upd’s
Ro

Yep, it’s on facebook Steveyo.

I wish I had skinnies like those and other obstacles in my local trails.
I think there were once features like that in some places, but they’ve been removed.
Your trails rock!

Here’s some more vid, and photos, from the race, from an enthusiastic spectator.
http://barre.me/2010/12/07/unicycle-race/

Still no sight of the footage from the CBS film crew, he said it might wait till spring.

Ro

Those pictures look great, has me wishing I had driven up.

This looks like a great event. I lived in Rochester, NY for 5 years but didn’t take up muni until after moving down here to NC. Thanks for posting the video.

race 2011?

Hi Roland,

Didn’t see a thread after a quick search. Will there be a 2011 muni race?

I’d lovvveee to come. I should be able to come. sorry, didn’t see the 2010 part. but is there gonna be a 2011 race???

2011 - lets do it

YES THERE WILL BE A RACE

Sorry I was slow in organizing this, the trails were closed for racing for a bit due to some concerns by City Council, but the MTBers have resolved this now (there will be a 5$pp charge).

I’m double checking the dates, but think this will be Sunday 10am 25th Sept 2011 (alternative 2 Oct).

I’ll post on this thread, and make a new one, once I finalize the date.

I expect to run this like last year as a 2hr race, most laps win, and a group fun-ride the day before.

Roland

OK - there is a race this year: Sunday September 25 2011

Link to the new thread…