{MUni} Is 11% grade steep?

I just finished putting together Klaas Bil’s inlinometer and checked a part of a trail I have been riding. It’s an eleven percent grade for about 50 feet. I guess you can assume some error rate if necessary, but I measured the guage before taping in the box and it seems very accurately oriented to the cassette case that it resides in.

Is this steep for most riders? I can clean the trail with some imbedded rocks in about 1 in 6 tries.

11% = 1 in 9, approx.

On a smooth tarmac/concrete surface, on a uni with reasonable length cranks, you should be able to ride up or down with no problem (over the distance you mentioned).

If the surface is rough then the variables are too many for anyone else to give a clear answer. A broken surface can make a hill twice as difficult, or 10 times as difficult.

I’d say if you can usually but not always ride up it, it’s a fair challenge for you at your present level on that wheel with those cranks and with that tyre. In 6 months, you might ride up it without really noticing. Or if you change your uni… or… or…

Only by riding where there is a prospect of success, but a risk of failure, will you improve.

Have fun almost failing. :wink:

Re: {MUni} Is 11% grade steep?

I’ve never neasured the grade on a muni ride, but a steep road to ride up is
18-22%. I estimate we are riding up short slopes between 25 and 30% offroad.
What feels super steep now will be just steep for you soon though, with
practice.

—Nathan

“The Munieer” <The.Munieer.hoz9a@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:The.Munieer.hoz9a@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I just finished putting together Klaas Bil’s inlinometer and checked a
> part of a trail I have been riding. It’s an eleven percent grade for
> about 50 feet. I guess you can assume some error rate if necessary, but
> I measured the guage before taping in the box and it seems very
> accurately oriented to the cassette case that it resides in.
>
> Is this steep for most riders? I can clean the trail with some imbedded
> rocks in about 1 in 6 tries.

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:37:21 -0600, The Munieer <The.Munieer.hoz9a@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I just finished putting together Klaas Bil’s inlinometer and checked a
>part of a trail I have been riding.

Interesting to know that someone actually used the description to build one. Jason in Alaska made one as well.

And I, too, would be interested to know what grade various riders can ride uphill. I am not very good at MUni but hill-climbing is my stronghold, relatively speaking, and I take pride in rolling up ever steeper hills. I can negotiate a particular 27% gravel trail about 1 out of 3 tries, it’s the fifth picture on <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/latefallmuni.htm>. Up to 20% I can do pretty consistently but I remember the days that 6% on tarmac was too much. I have described something that helped me improve on <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/lean_uni.htm>.

Yeah I thought the website could use some plugging :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil
[no sig line for forum posts]

Re: {MUni} Is 11% grade steep?

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 22:37:21 -0600, The Munieer
<The.Munieer.hoz9a@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I just finished putting together Klaas Bil’s inlinometer and checked a
>part of a trail I have been riding.

Interesting to know that someone actually used the description to
build one. Jason in Alaska made one as well.

And I, too, would be interested to know what grade various riders can
ride uphill. I am not very good at MUni but hill-climbing is my
stronghold, relatively speaking, and I take pride in rolling up ever
steeper hills. I can negotiate a particular 27% gravel trail about 1
out of 3 tries, it’s the fifth picture on
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/latefallmuni.htm>. Up to 20% I can do pretty
consistently but I remember the days that 6% on tarmac was too much. I
have described something that helped me improve on
<www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/lean_uni.htm>.

Yeah I thought the website could use some plugging :slight_smile:

Klaas Bil

As long as the forum<->newsgroup link is only 50% reliable
I may post on both platforms. Sorry for any inconvenience.
No corrections planned for a future stats page.

I took the inlinometer that is built into my compass with me this weekend. I measured this trail http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/munibrier/aab at 10 degrees. I tried to make a simple convertion sheet on EXCEL and discovered I had to re-visit tangents and arctangents to get the calculations to work, I haven’t worked with them since ninth grade!

10 degrees is just over 17%, I wasn’t getting far between UPD’s going up this slope on a 26x2.6 with 170 cranks. The only other hill I measured was the steepest I went down, it was 20 degrees or 36%. At first I started with too much speed and lost the battle to acceleration but was able to go down in a controlled manner the next couple times.

A couple weeks ago I marched the Coker with 6" cranks up a 10 degree/17% road grade for about 150 feet. Surprised myself.

I’m making a Klaas inlinometer for the next ride, much simpler than the math.

Klaas,

Could you please give me the link to the instructions for building one of these? Actually it’d be great if anyone could.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew,

here is the link to the original post.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21280&highlight=inclinometer

Use the links in it to get to the directions.

There is a hot link to an image to use for the inclinometer.

and you will have to unzip to get at it, otherwise it won’t show.

have fun.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 01:14:40 -0600, UniBrier <UniBrier.hwlby@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I took the inlinometer that is built into my compass with me this
>weekend. I measured this trail
>http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/munibrier/aab at 10 degrees. I tried
>to make a simple convertion sheet on EXCEL and discovered I had to
>re-visit tangents and arctangents to get the calculations to work, I
>haven’t worked with them since ninth grade!
There is a conversion table in the first picture on the inclinometer page. Also, the formula to enter into Excel is not that complicated. Suppose the number of degrees is in cell A1, then the formula for % is =100*TAN(A1/(180/PI()))
(you can cut and paste this).

>I’m making a Klaas inlinometer for the next ride, much simpler than the
>math.
The page, for anyone who missed it, is at <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/inclinometer.htm>.

Oh and just before the funny spelling catches on (may I?), it should be inclinometer.

Klaas Bil
[no sig line for forum posts]

Doh! the only pic I didn’t enlarge.

I found the formula in the EXCEL help fuction, didn’t have to use my memory after all.

Doh! again. I must confess I copied and pasted the spelling without checking it out myself, now who’s the dumb blonde? So, yes you may.

Signed, An inclinometer challenged unicyclist of Dutch descent…