muni-homework

if you were to go on a 2-7 day muni expedition,what would you take,
eg tarp ,repair ,kit etc
what would be the safety problems.
i no i left alot out i will add some more later.thanks for help in advance

Anytime I am out for just a day on the trails I always carry a small survival kit in my camel bak along with some first aid essentials. You never know when or if you will have an injury or get lost and be stuck on the trails for the night. If I was going out for multiple days on a unicycle I would read about low impact super light camping. You can find lots of gear (albeit expensive in some cases) that is super light and compact so you can ride from place to place and setup and break down quickly. If you were going to go out and have a “base” camp you can afford to have bulkier equipment and I would just take the standard equipment I use when I drive to a site to camp. I would look up super light hiking gear if you want to be on the move continuously. You will find a lot out there about it. Otherwise, just look up camping and the equipment that is standard for that type of outing. I do however believe every single MTB and Muni person should always have a small survival kit just in case. It can save you if you ever get in a pinch and it is better than nothing. Most people aren’t going to carry anything bulky for this purpose but this is small enough and well equipped enough to be indispensable. Here is a site that details the kit and how to use it.
http://www.amazon.com/98-6-Degrees-Keeping-Your-Alive/dp/1586852345/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
on how to make it if you run into problems. Good luck out there!

Brian

Thanks for the Information,I am not going to actually go on this trip.I do a subject at school called "Bush-Craft"it involves going camping,canoeing rock-climbing and all other activities,we learn how to survive in the bush and learn about leadership.

And in my Class we are currently doing a assesment task on planing a trip.
*equipment list
*safety
*how where getting there
*how long where going
And some other things,a few ideas came up with ideas(including muni)since there is 4 unicyclers in the class.
then the class votes on 3 proper adventures,that we do.So ill end up probaly sea kyaking for 3 days,But i thought i would try to go good in the theory,which brings me here asking for information.

I haven’t done a long Muni trip, but I have done quite a bit of backcountry travel. In the end being prepared has to do with redefining the concept of comfort. As your gear gets lighter, and more streamlined you inevitably are looking to find the minimum of stuff that gets you through the maximum of circumstance.

If I was doing a self contained uni trip I would plan for:
>A location with potable water that is very available. You should still be prepared to treat the water either chemically, or filtration. Filters that are worthwhile weigh a lot, and chemicals (bleach/Iodine) are very light, but leave an off taste.
>A location where there are a lot of wild edible plants, and where foraging was relatively easy.
>A location that offers good natural shelter opportunities. This could be caves, or I have spent very pleasant nights in thunderstorms under a large pine tree with very low lying bottom branches.

Food, water, and shelter are the heaviest things you will need to carry. If you can use the environment to provide these essentials, then you only need to carry a little backup, and a small stove. You might do well to have a mylar space blanket that can serve as a ground cloth for sleeping on, or a tarp if you need it. You could also use it as a bivy sack.

As for a stove I would opt for an alcohol burner, or a twig burner. The Alcohol burner like a Trangia is very small, and light, and has no moving parts so you don’t need to worry about being able to do a field repair. The twig burners are very nice, but require dry twigs that may not be available.

Then for clothes you will need to pare it down to essentials, and assume that you will be a bit uncomfortable in extreme weather. You can get used to just about anything as long as you are feeding yourself, and staying hydrated. I spent 20 days on a self contained bike trip in a Summer sleeping bag rated to 60F, and the temperature was around 30F every night.

I know I have left out a lot, but the location would have to be right for a trip like this to be successful. I think that is the heart of the matter; otherwise you will be carrying a lot of gear to make up for what the location lacks.

• Get a big gun and enough ammo
  • Stay away from the zombies
  • If they hunt you, blast their heads away

-> Read Zombie Survival Guide

On Topic:

Medipak
Repair Kit
Spare parts if youre going big on your rides (like seatpost and pedals)
Cellphone
Something to eat (doesnt need to be warmed up if youre only traveling a week, thats just comfort)
Sleeping bag, maybe a small tent

You should keep everything as small as possible to reduce the weight. You dont need comfort, you want to ride and rock :wink:

it all depends on when you go, how long you are going for (2-7 days is a big range) how many people are going with you, how far you are going, how fast you want to travel, the terrain you are traveling and camping in, how sensitive/used the area is (can you cut down a few trees to make a nice shelter?) if there are escape routes along the way etc.

For a survival course I have spent a night out in the bush at -35˚C with about 2 lbs of gear. Really light kit but it wasn’t exactly low impact camping.

In Australia you might not be able to go as light as some of us in countries that don’t have the same numbers of poisonous snakes / insects etc.? Most times I wouldn’t take a tent or even a tarp in this country (and have done the same in NZ and the USA), but I dunno about Australia.

Joe

A credit card. I’m not so into camping. :smiley:

Even if you do camp, the credit card can be useful in emergencies…

Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Definitely.
Chamois Butt’r (or comparable) Definitely.