MUni discussion thread

I ride for for as long as it takes me to get to somewhere interesting and back, home. Often around 2 0r 3 hours through Local trails. leading to and from Mt. Doug, my favourite place in the whole world.

Sean

Same. A lot of what I ride doesn’t allow for a sloped landing or enough room to roll out nicely, so most of it goes to flat and you have to really absorb drops safely with your body. That way it isn’t jolting, and you can manage yourself right after the drop to continue one with the ride.

I love doing drops though. Just the thrill of flying through the air, and with the muni traisl around here, you kinda have to be good at taking 4-8 foot drops at all times.

Oh, Jer! Wanna ride out by my place soon? We havn’t done that like, since the first time we met. =P
and that was in snow.

MuniSano
IMO what is XC depends on an individual’s skill. It’s terrain that can be ridden consistently w/ few, if any UPD’s. In a greater sence, I think most of what a b*ker would call XC, is for us as well.

The main thing that is keeping me from going on longer rides is mental and physical stamina. A few times fully intending to go on a long (for me) ride, but half to 2/3 through I just lost all will to continue even though I wasn’t physically that tired.

My longest ride in time was 4.5 hours w/ many reattempts and one 20 min break, over what I’d call pretty rough XC in b*ke terms. I think if I went much further, my UPD’s would have gotten much more frequent and scarry.

MuniSano
IMO what is XC depends on an individual’s skill. It’s terrain that can be ridden consistently w/ few, if any UPD’s. In a greater sence, I think most of what a b*ker would call XC, is for us as well.

The main thing that is keeping me from going on longer rides is mental and physical stamina. A few times fully intending to go on a long (for me) ride, but half to 2/3 through I just lost all will to continue even though I wasn’t physically that tired.

My longest ride in time was 4.5 hours w/ many reattempts and one 20 min break, over what I’d call pretty rough XC in b*ke terms. I think if I went much further, my UPD’s would have gotten much more frequent and scarry.

well, since this is the muni thread, I guess I’ll mention that today i got me a Torker DX 24", with KH fusion Freeride saddle, an QR… a little heavy, but really not bad
(i also got a coker)

so im a happy camper now! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Just wanted to ask if anybody rides a set up close to this. I would like a review if one has been posted a link, I searched for a little. I can get this + some stuff or just a trialsy street bike, I am not sure yet.

lm rim, 26in
nimbus isis hub
2hole kh 137-165 cranks
kh 29 frame
kh freeeide saddle (cfbase)
with maggie break

Seth (musketman) rides something close to that.

LM rim,
3" gazz,
KH29 frame,
maggies,
profile 175s,
nimbus gel seat.

26 in rim on 29 frame? :astonished: hows that work? :thinking:

Yeah, I was riding with the ultra amazing SB MUni group this morning…we sessioned about 4 hours on San Ysidro trail! This has to be one of the most trecherously advanced trails I’ve done and all I can say is WOW! Nathan got some great stills that he should be posting later.

The group included Hans, Nathan and son Bo, Corbin and Lois, Chris, Julian, Eyal. Amazing riders all! I think they’re doing “Tunnel” tomorrow and John Long will be joining them. (I forgot my laptop so I’m typing this from the library in Buellton, CA, where I’m staying the weekend see ya later! :smiley: )

You’re Welcome! :roll_eyes:

backwards muni?

I end up riding backwards all the time, usually when I wuss out of something.
But I always go back to try again :smiley:

But, like, come up to a drop switch and 180 it and ride away?

Anyone wanna support or throw my idea in the trash? Would my trials even be worth trying for Muni or should I just not?

-Connor

It’s fun for like the first time unless it’s super super technical but It gets boring cause its really slow.

Go for it. I’ve done a bit of muni on a 20"er with really long cranks and it was pretty fun. Nothing like a Muni but it was still great.
I know lots of people who do 20" muni too.

Interesting, thanks for the quick replies. Unicycling is too addicting. I will make a post after I try Muni out on my trials.

Another quick question…
To prevent dirt and crud and snow/water from coming into the hole in the frame (right above the tire around the crown…I am not sure what it is called) is covering it with a layer of duct tape or a plastic cap a good idea? Or is this not necessary?

Thanks

-Connor

Not necessary, but not a bad idea either. It might prevent corrosion but I don’t think that is generally a problem.

Okay, cool. Thanks.