MUni discussion thread

How do I do that? :thinking:

What length are your cranks? Your seat hight is relitive to the the length of your cranks, if you have 170mm or 165mm you could try 150s and that would give you a lower seat height.

Cutting the frame might be something to do if the shorter cranks don’t work for you.If you haven’t done something like that before I would have someone else do it for you. Someone with the proper tools, because you want to get it straight and then you need to cut the split in the seat tube for the seatpost clamp, and you could ruin the frame if you dont do it right.

my friend did it… i dont recommed it but he did… he cut the seat tube the same way u would the seat post and then it stops lower down. his clamping power sucke b/c he didnt cut the tightening notch father but if u can cut that lower as well it should work fine.

Are you sure the seat post is cut down all the way? Does the saddle sit right on top of the frame/seatpost clamp or is there still room left?

go to a hardware store, get a pipe cutter, and cut the seat tube.

A little bit of searching brought up this

I’m going to the mountains on Friday. There’s this really cool trail which is quite technical and which I’ve been wanting to do for at least half a year now. Annoyingly enough, I still haven’t got my video camera, but I’ll probably take some still pictures.

Well theres a space about the size of the tip of my finger, but im scared if I put it totally down it will break the seat clamp on drops… :frowning:

it won’t, i rode with mine like that for a while and did alot of 4-6 foot drops, it was fine. As for cutting down the frame, it;s not that bad, just don’t cut out to big an area for the bolt, cause the frame will crack at that point

I like holding onto the saddle handle for logs and skinnies.
I’ve seen lots of people (most actually) let go for skinnies.

How do you do 'em? I think I have more control holding on.

Before cutting down the neck of the frame, I’d cut down the seat or buy a lower profile seat. Highest to lowest: KH freeride, Nimbus gell, KH street. All of those are more comfortable anyways, IMO.

i just got my 24" dx monday and it was set up for a 7’ person. The seat post was like 500mm i swear. Id been waiting to ride if for so long and i couldn’t the night i put it together because i didn’t have the time to cut it down. I took a good 7" off the seat post and now it’s great. I found out that my drive way is amazingly fun on my dx because it’s very steep gravel and if you do it when it’s dark it’s always a surprise what you are riding over. It’s probably not recommended but riding down large gravel hills in the dark is my new favorite thing. There’s always a surprise…

[QUOTE=Tellurider]
What length are your cranks? Your seat hight is relitive to the the length of your cranks, if you have 170mm or 165mm you could try 150s and that would give you a lower seat height.QUOTE]

Shorter cranks will raise the seat height not lower it. The seat height is set by the lowest point that your pedals reach and with shorter cranks that position will further from the ground and consequently the seat will be higher.

A while ago I changed my Muni from 170s to 150s, which made pedaling much smoother and meant that I had to raise the seat by about the 20mm difference between the two.

Ivan doing a Trail inthe Mountains!

Hi Ivan!

Sound like you will have fun! I am pestering Itai about flying over to you so that we can ride with you but he is busy with his new company in New York.
I wish you a good ride!

Unicorn

[quote=“ian.stockwell”]

Yes when I put shorter cranks on my Coker I had to raise the seat. So the seat is higher from the ground for me. But I had to raise it because it was in efect lower from the seat to the bottom pedal. So if you aren’t able to reach your pedals from your lowest seat position shorter cranks will help.

[quote=“ian.stockwell”]

What he is saying is if you have shorter cranks there will be a shorter [U]minimum /U] seat hight. This was in response to NKahler who is too short to comfortably ride the DX he got.

NKahler - cut off another inch of the post, try the seat mods I recomended, then (IMO), cut the frames neck, but only a half inch or cm. at a time.

MUni on a shaved trials uni is hard.

It looked like it.

[quote=“skilewis74”]

What I should have said is if you put on shorter cranks in efect you will have a lower seat height.

Ian after you put on the shorter cranks you had to raise your seat because it was closer to your bottom pedal which had the same efect as lowering your seat.

Also some people with shorter legs find it more comfortable to pedal with shorter cranks because it’s a smaller diameter circle.

But I would do what NKhler said first try cutting another inch off your post to get it all the way down and if that’s not enough just cut a half inch off your frame if you don’t cut more than that you shouldn’t need to cut the notch deeper.

have any of you guys tried building your own north shore stuff? I tried to build some out where i live, but it kept getting torn down, i did build some stuff down near salida that was pretty sweet, it was a smallish drop followed by a ladder bridge out to a five foot drop i’ll post pictures at some point.