MUni Buying Advice

NO apology necessary, Trev! The “generational” stuff in my post was all tongue-in-cheek, and I wasn’t feeling angry or even slightly slighted. I was acknowledging and agreeing with your point. (so, there! :wink: ) My comment about appreciating worth was NOT a snide referrence to who may be purchasing what; it was merely a straightforward statement about different people’s value-placement paradigms. I’m sure you love your uni a lot, and if someone stole it, you’d feel a lot worse than if you broke part of it while having fun on it. However, according to another thread, women don’t notice men on unicycles, so I don’t quite buy your “babe-magnet” claim;).

You’re right, I’m a little (just a little) over twice your age, but I have an inescapable memory. I don’t get into that “generation gap” crap. Like I said, the “old fogeys” and “youngsters” cracks were facetious. When I was your age, I thought I’d live forever, but I had friends that just wanted to die. Now I just want to live forever, and I’m trying not to die… AND still have FUN!

I’ve decided not to harp on others’ spelling anymore, and instead just try to inspire by example. If anyone finds me misspelling, though, please feel free to bust me for it!

Re: MUni Buying Advice

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:30:43 -0500, sendhair
<sendhair.875gz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>referrence

>If anyone finds -me- misspelling, though,
>please feel free to bust me for it!

Not wanting to bust you though.

Klaas Bil

Thank you, Klaas! Duly busted!:wink:

Re: Delicacy

Interesting idea… but there’s something about rolling off stuff droping a way and rolling away that I like. When in all comon sence you should have been hurt jumping off a 3 foot ledge on a unicyle or whatever your hopping off of. Its just fun to do just like riding the rest of Mountain bike trails are fun. Us young guns seem to have the whole go big or go home ideal. Respect your equipment but that dosent mean you cant do drops and other stuff. To me bending a crank or axle ( I have yet to do luckily) is just something you try not to do, but there is no reason to stay away from drops and pedal grabs.

Chex

Re: MUni Buying Advice

Checkernuts wrote:

> To me bending a crank or axle
> ( I have yet to do luckily) is just something you try not to do, but
> there is no reason to stay away from drops and pedal grabs.

Makes sense to me. I think that a lot of people (not everyone), part of
the enjoyment is seeing how far you can push yourself and your
equipment. It’s the same thing that makes people climb mountains, run
marathons, etc.

When you are trying to push yourself and your gear to the limit, there
are gonna be times when you cross the line and break your stuff (and/or
yourself. :slight_smile: ) That’s part of the game. It’s not because you don’t
respect your equipment, just because you pushed that little bit too
hard.

“So you are lean and mean and resourceful and you continue to walk on
the edge of the precipice because over the years you have become
fascinated by how close you can walk without losing your balance.”

Nick Grey
Add 0112 before the “at” to e-mail me.

i think like some others go and buy something with in your buget i got a nimbus 2 or nimbus 2 style frame with and alex ring dx32(it is pretty much bomb proof) for £100 i have done some mild off road but it can do more much more and it can handle 3.4-4ft drops no problem most likly again it could hadle more i think it is a good starting muni the rest of the muni is standard but i have put a kh saddle and some fat wellgo peddles and all important stickers on my uni :sunglasses: it is only a 20" but i would think it is a good starting point pic should be inclued may be upside down sorry!

sorry

or maybe just to big

I recently wrote a review of my pPashley 29er, kind of a semi-muni from unicycle.com which I darn near memorized while shopping. the review is in the product reviews section of this site.

Read it, and look for other muni reviews. Most of the time only good things are said, as we like to think we make smart choices. I have a question or two for you, where will you be riding, how big are you, and how old are you? take this into account when looking at the unis.

And another thing… By now you have noticed the biggest differences between munis are the tires and the hubs. I got the 29er because of the tire. I will wonder what a 3x26 muni can do until I finally get a chance to try one out. I have a friend who rides a 3x24 and longs for a 26, I’ve tried it and can see why. It is slow. My friend likes my Pashley.

Re: Re: Delicacy

Younger Generation (John Sebastian)

Why must every generation think their folks are square
And no matter where their heads are they know mom´s ain´t there
Cause I swore when I was small that I´d remember when
I knew what´s wrong with them that I was smaller then

Determined to remember all the cardinal rules
Like sun showers are legal grounds for cutting school
I know I have forgotten maybe one or two
And I hope that I recall them all before the baby´s due
And I knoe he´ll have a question or two

Like “hey Pop, can I go ride my zoom
It goes two hundred miles an hour suspended by balloons
And can I put a droplet of this new stuff on my tongue
And imagine frothing dragons while you sit and wreck your lungs”
And I must be permissive, understanding of the younger generation

Then I´ll know that all I´ve learned my kid assumes
And all my deepest worries must be his cartoons
And still I´ll try to them him all the things I´ve done
Related to what he can do when he becomes a man
And still he´ll stick his fingers in the fan

And “Hey, Pop, my girlfriend´s only three
She´s got her own videophone and she´s taking L.S.D.
And now that we´re best friends she wants to give a bit to me
But what´s the matter Daddy, how come you´re turning green?
Can it be that you can´t live up to your dream?”

1967 Faithful Virtue Music Co., Inc,
The Lovin´Spoonful “Everything Playing”
John Sebastian “Real Live”
John Sebastian “Best Of…”

:slight_smile: