MUni at UNICON

Does anyone know the size limitations for MUni at UNICON XII this year in Japan? I’m sure it’s not the whole 24.333 size cap, due to the popularity of the 3.0 gazz.

So are 26ers with 3.0 tyres fair game, or should I stick with a 24 of moderate size?

any help is appreciated, as I need to start building for this event

thanks,
matt

There are no limits as long as it fits the definition of a unicycle (has only one wheel, is driven by crank arms directly attached to the axle, and has no additional devices to support it.).

awesome! thanks, gilby. so are winners decided by time? (at least in XC)

Gilby’s right. To my knowledge, there aren’t any restrictions on wheel size, tire size or crank length in the UNICON XII (or the NAUCC 2004) MUni competitions. The MUni events are considered to be, “unlimited,” events.

why would Gilby be wrong?

Yes, there are no limitations on wheel size and crank. Or gearing.

I will tiredly add, you can also look in the rulebook to get all these questions answered. I’d really be happy to answer questions people come up with after reading the rules… :roll_eyes:

Yes, there are no limitations on wheel size and crank. Or gearing.

I will tiredly add, you can also look in the rulebook to get all these questions answered. I’d really be happy to answer questions people come up with after reading the rules… :roll_eyes:

What we don’t know yet are the dimensions of the MUni courses. the locations have not yet been determined, and after that it still may take longer until courses are figured out. Hopefully at that time we will be notified of distances, elevation changes, and ultimately with a few photos.

I’m sorry, John. I looked, or tried looking in the rulebook and couldn’t find anything about MUni size limitations or even a statement saying that it is open.

thank you for your time.

Matt

Or gearing? Not if you define gearing as having a Uni.5 or similar geared unicycle. The mountain unicycling races are defined under the racing section of the rules and it states in section 2.2 that “Only standard unicycles may be used. A standard unicycle has only one wheel, is driven by crank arms directly attached to the axle, and is propelled only by human force.” A Uni.5 would not fit that definition.

The rulebook really does not answer the wheel and crank size question for this specific UNICON. In section 2.27 for MUni racing, it says “generally there are no restrictions on wheel size or crank arm length,” so it’s basically recommending that there be no restrictions on crank or wheel size, but leaving it up to the organizers to decide. Though it’s very unlikley the organizers would have restrictions.

More importantly, will we be able to pre-ride the course in order to work out the best suitable gearing?

Will there be a XC as well as a DH race or will they be merged like at the last Unicon?

Ok, so the courses have yet to be determined, but is there some guideline roughly as to the distance and terrain for the race planners?

Need to start training soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Ken

Ken,

At the present time, there aren’t any rules or guidelines for setting MUni race courses (length, difficulty, etc.) in either the IUF, Inc. or the USA, Inc. competition rule books.

Every MUni race / course situation is different. Everything depends on the availablity of venues. In planning NAUCC 2004 we have been encountering major unexpected difficulties convincing the owners / operators of potential downhill and cross-country venues (e.g., ski resort operators and the Forest Service) to let us hold events on their properties. The nature of the venue we are ultimately able to secure will end up dictating the types of events and courses we will be able to offer.

Event organizers have to balance technical difficulty versus the ability of the average competitor when trying to decide upon courses. At UNICON 11, we originally thought we would use a downhill course that had been designed for a World Cup mountain biking event. I nicknamed that course, “Lemming Run,” because it featured a sharp turn at a big cliff and I pictured a string of riders following the leader over the side. Then I almost broke my neck walking the course and got feedback that Kris Holm, “might,” be able to ride it. We regrouped and ended up using a much less technically challenging course that allowed almost everybody to compete and finish.

The area where we held the UNICON 11 MUni races was a ski resort on Forest Service land that was open to the public for hiking and biking throughout the eight days of the event. Pre-race availability is also going dictated by the nature of the venue and the rules for access that are established the owners / operators of the venue.

You should contact the organizers of UNICON XII to inquire about the pre-race availability of their MUni courses. You can send them a question by going to www.unicon12.com and selecting, “Message Board.”

Tom Daniels

You’re right. We should change that for future versions, and add more detail about equipment rules for non-track events.

Sorry, Hopeful. I forgot it didn’t say anything specific in there. I believe this information was supplied to the UNICON XII organizers, but don’t know if it appears on their web site.

Preriding the course is always something I recommend. The unknown in our current situation will be the timeframe. Depending on the location of the MUni stuff, it may involve a long bus or train ride to get there, and a pretty limited amount of time onsite. I will do what I can to press for a preride though. I understand exactly why one is needed. Not just to know the course, but for safety reasons as well.

Thanks, John. since MUni is open, could i do it on a giraffe? or with toeclips/ clipless pedals?

thanks for your time, I can’t seem to find these anywhere.

matt

1. Yes.

2. That’s going to hurt.

3. Technically, as Gilby explained, it’s supposed to be a direct drive, standard unicycle. But I don’t think anybody will complain about a giraffe, esp. if you only have a 1:1 gear ratio.

I used to ride all the time with toeclips… had some clipless eggbeaters on there for a while, but i learned really fast that they’re great until you need to stop or if you fall…