Multilingual database of unicycling terms (was: "To Do or Not To Do" on a unicycle)

Greetings

In message “Re: “To Do or Not To Do” on a unicycle”,
Klaas Bil wrote…
>On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:31:49 -0500, Jack Halpern <jack@kanji.org>
>wrote:
>
>>For those who want to get started in helping out, I can put the list if English
>>headwords on my site for adding, changing and possibly deleting.
>
>Please tell us when it’s done. And secondly tell us when you’ve
>decided that the English headwords list is to be considered final. You

I need to do some reorganizing or I can put the old list asd it is.

>see, this job runs with little effort from your side, or so it seems.

This statement is rather cryptic. I spent hundreds of hours on this project over
the years, collecting, translating to Japanese and Chinese, etc., building the database,
classifying the terms by subject, etc.

As a quick interim measure, I have just uploaded three langauges (I have several more to:

English: http://www.kanji.org/kanji/jack/unicycle/uniterm/uniterm.eng
German: http://www.kanji.org/kanji/jack/unicycle/uniterm/uniterm.grm
French: http://www.kanji.org/kanji/jack/unicycle/uniterm/uniterm.frn

These are text files. I have sveral more languages. My goal is to collect them into a
multilingual database (which is my specialty), assign unique IDs, part-of-speech codes,
etc. In the meantime if people are working on this please use the English as a pivot.

I am sorry that I do not have more time now to deal with this important subject. After
Unicon I would like to do it more seriously, as well as have a meeting of volunteers
willing to help.

Tom Daniels, etc., is it possible to find a time slot of say 60 to 90 minutes and a room for
such a meeting?

Regards, Jack Halpern
President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508

Re: Multilingual database of unicycling terms (was: “To Do or Not To Do” on a unicycle)

On Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:23:27 -0500, Jack Halpern <jack@kanji.org>
wrote:

>In message “Re: “To Do or Not To Do” on a unicycle”,
>Klaas Bil wrote…
> >see, this job runs with little effort from your side, or so it seems.
>
>This statement is rather cryptic. I spent hundreds of hours on this project over
>the years, collecting, translating to Japanese and Chinese, etc., building the database,
>classifying the terms by subject, etc.
I did not put that right. What I meant was that there are volunteers
willing to spend time to translate once you make the English list
available. Those results would come to you “for free”. But I recognise
that a whole lot of effort has already been put in, and more effort
has to be put in after you receive “raw” translations.

>As a quick interim measure, I have just uploaded three langauges (I have several more to:
>
> English: http://www.kanji.org/kanji/jack/unicycle/uniterm/uniterm.eng
> German: http://www.kanji.org/kanji/jack/unicycle/uniterm/uniterm.grm
> French: http://www.kanji.org/kanji/jack/unicycle/uniterm/uniterm.frn
>
>These are text files. I have sveral more languages. My goal is to collect them into a
>multilingual database (which is my specialty), assign unique IDs, part-of-speech codes,
>etc. In the meantime if people are working on this please use the English as a pivot.
Thanks for making those available. I’ll start working on the Dutch
translation, consulting with other Dutch riders. Thanks for uploading
the German and French too, they sometimes help define ambiguous terms
(assuming I can trust the translations).

>Tom Daniels, etc., is it possible to find a time slot of say 60 to 90 minutes and a room for
>such a meeting?
(As a matter of fact I won’t attend UNICON nor NAUCC.)

Klaas Bil