MUC Youth Uni-ty program Side Story

This past Sunday Tommy and Myself planned his “Welcome Back to Memphis - Tour d’Wolf MUni Ride”. Tommy brought Marquis. He is a participant of the MUC Youth Uni-ty initiative.

Youth Uni-ty

Marquis is an enthusiastic innercity kid (see photo gallery on MUC website) who earned his unicycle and is already an amazing little rider. (Once, someone verbally explained “seat out back” riding. So he grabbed a Uni and did it first or second try). He comes to meetings whenever possible and loves to get out on the Mountain B*ke trails with us for MUni adventures. (Without Tommy’s Uni-ty program he certainly never would have had this experience).

Anyway, this made me laugh. Him too.

It had rained a couple of days prior. While most of the trail was dry, there were puddles along the way. I was following Marquis when he splished through a puddle the size of a dinner plate. Ten feet later, he zoomed through another twice the size. 10 feet later he attacked one only slightly bigger and sunk down do his axle. It sounded like: …splish…splish…SPA-LOOSH!
I thanked him for the heads up. We laughed about it some and continued on. In about 5 minutes we came to the next puddle. A muddy stream trickle actually. Marquis never even slowed down. Tommy and I tippy-toed across.

Its a blast to ride with this kid. Bravo to Marquis. Hats off to Tommy.