Mt. Equinox Uphill race report

Good job on the races, Steve.

What length cranks did you use? (on both the 29er and the 14).

crank lengths

Both my KH29 and my Torker 24LX have their original cranks, and both are 150s.

What setup are you going with on Washington? I can’t wait to see how you guys do.

I’ve discovered it’s one thing to sign up, and quite another to crank all the way up a mountain. By the end of both races, I was hearing the clashing of demons’ pitchforks behind me (to use an expression coined by vivalargo) as I expended more energy (for two hours) than in any previous althletic endeavor of my life, and I’m an active guy.

I’m still tweaking my setup. I’ve been training on a Big Apple 2.35 tire with 150mm cranks, to hopefully make the hills I could find a little more realistically hard. I’m planning on switching to 170mm cranks for the race, and also a smaller tire. I can’t decide between using the BA 2.0, which is exactly like the BA but smaller and lighter, or an even skinnier 700cc touring tire. My feeling is that a lighter wheel can only help, but if it comes at the expense of reduced stability it may not be worth it. I wish I knew how rough the surface of the Mt Washington auto road is.

From what I know, there is approx. a 2 mile stretch that is dirt, hardpacked. And that section can suck if the weather is normal, which is rain/snow/sleet, etc. As far as the pavement, from what I’ve heard it is variable. Hope that helps. See you all soon.

IIRC, I had an easier time climbing with a lower pressure Duro 3.0 tire than a higher pressure 2.5 hookworm.

If the unicycle gets “twitchy” you may have to spend energy compensating for that. I think the smaller tire zig-zagged much more - wasting energy.

Of course, the best thing to do is test your various setups.

Literally laughed out loud.

Wait, are you planning on doing the Mt Washington race?

Ben, you gotta pay attention around here.

YES! Aspen Mike is in the MW race!

Place your bets everybody! The old mountain man, the kid from REI in Boston, or the unknown quantity, Joe Merrilll (sp?).

steveyo

I wanted to list credits for the pics I posted in the first page of this thread. Better late than never.

1. I’m grimacing across the line.
  • Lee Krohn
  1. Really breathing hard, but really happy.
  • Lee Krohn
  1. About to do the gratuitous unicycle-above-the-head thing.
  • Doug Jansen

steveyo

I thought I was paying attention, but apparently not. I thought the race had filled up?

What are you planning on riding in the race, Mike?

I think he’s going to appear to be riding one of those flamed tire tracks like on “Back To the Future” again . . .

If I were in the race, I’d simply use a tether!

A bicyclist from the Equinox race was so moved by my success that he composed me (and all unicyclists, I guess) a poem:

I thought it was cool.

yo