Mounting on Rocks

I just started riding more on rocks and was wondering if there were any good tips on mounting on them. My current problem is that I mount 1/2 a pedal stroke from my hopping position, sometimes thats enough to be off the rock entirely though. I know the simple answer is mount, and do a quick pedal rotation in the air on a hop, but I’m not solid with that.

Also any tips on handeling the slopes of a rock, are there areas I should look for with tire placement, currently I try to hit the peaks and just hope my tire doesnt slip.

Thanks guys

Chex

I had the same problem. I had to teach myself to mount with my other foot, so I could mount right into a hop. Sometimes things are still too small to mount on, so I learned how to pedal grab.

Mojoe

I had this problem, and i think the solution is a static with the pedals completely horizontal. That way you dont roll at all, and you just have to hop. This may take some practice to learn, because you can put very little weight on thr back pedal.
Good Luck
Scott

Jump mount to hop.

Re: Mounting on Rocks

That is odd. I mount with my right foot on the pedal and I hop with my right foot back. My mount puts me right into my hopping pedal position. For muni you really need to be able to mount directly into your hopping position. Start practicing mounting with the other foot and hope that you can get comfortable enough with the other foot to be able to do it on the trail.

When I mount the muni on the trail I often do a little hop as soon as I get on just to get myself situated on the saddle and because it’s a little bit of a habit that I’ve developed.

I’m with John on this one, I mount the exact same way in every aspect as he has described. We’re probably twins.

Dylan

I don’t know all these terms so this is probably what Greg was saying…sorry if it is. When I want to mount with little room I find it easiest to hold the saddle with one hand out in front with the pedals/cranks horizontal. From there I jump directly into the seat in front position and either hop with the seat in front or put it between my legs and then hop. This took me about 15 minutes to practice but it was worth it.

On a slightly different topic, when I’m hopping around on rocks and that sort of thing or doing general trials I try not to hop excessively. I’ve been practicing my still-stands lately and although I’m still not that good at it, it’s really helped to be able to balance on the spot for a few seconds. Then I can plan what I’m going to do next a lot easier. Basically, I think it’s a lot better to only hop to correct your balance. I learnt this from Kris on those Lutkus.com UNICON videos.

Good luck,
Andrew

In order to overcome this problem, I think you should just learn to mount
directly (and statically) into your hopping position. For some lucky people
this is what they always do and for others it’s just another little thing to
learn.

—Nathan

“Checkernuts” <Checkernuts.dkicm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:Checkernuts.dkicm@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> I just started riding more on rocks and was wondering if there were any
> good tips on mounting on them. My current problem is that I mount 1/2 a
> pedal stroke from my hopping position, sometimes thats enough to be off
> the rock entirely though. I know the simple answer is mount, and do a
> quick pedal rotation in the air on a hop, but I’m not solid with that.
>
>
> Also any tips on handeling the slopes of a rock, are there areas I
> should look for with tire placement, currently I try to hit the peaks
> and just hope my tire doesnt slip.
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Chex

damn, looks like I’m gonna have to sart working on my mounts with my left foot back and going directlly into hopping. Thanks for the tips guys.

Chex

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:09:15 -0600, john_childs
<john_childs.dkvjm@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Checkernuts wrote:
>> [B]My current problem is that I mount 1/2 a pedal stroke from my
>> hopping position[B]
>
>That is odd. I mount with my right foot on the pedal and I hop with my
>right foot back. My mount puts me right into my hopping pedal position.
>For muni you really need to be able to mount directly into your hopping
>position. Start practicing mounting with the other foot and hope that
>you can get comfortable enough with the other foot to be able to do it
>on the trail.

Learning the reverse mount is one option indeed. The other, and to me
much easier, option is to learn the reverse hop.

Klaas Bil

I posted only a single copy of this message.

Re: Re: Mounting on Rocks

On the contrary, I can mount with my “other” foot to get straight to hopping fairly easily, but my hop on the wrong foot is very shaky.

The easiest way I’ve found is jumping straight into seat in front.

Phil, just me