Mountainuni Disc Brakes Have Arrived!

That assumes that people use spacers with them, but I don’t think they do, from what I’ve seen so far.

I thought use of a spacer is the only way to keep the disk alignment stable, i.e. avoid crank creep?

From what I have read in all these pages that is the case.

Glad I’m not the only person who remembers the comment about not using spacers.

In theory, but I think Jogi has been using his for quite a while now without crank creep. Perhaps it’s a case of not overtightening the cranks? I’m also fairly light 57kg, so shouldn’t put as much stress on the cranks.

It’s going on my KH 36" Schlumpf, which I only use once a year (ridden twice since UNICON XV, both times for the same race :)), so hopefully those cranks will last a wee while.

You have a >$2k unicycle which you ride once a year???

My understanding from this thread is that Jogi uses a spacer.
Good luck on your race!

Hmmm…looks like I’ve got it wrong. I was sure he’d said otherwise, but I didn’t follow that thread closely until I decided to get one.

Ok, question for all those Schlumpf/Mt Uni users- are you all using spacers?

Ken, I have a spacer. The UCM goes on the non torque (knurled bearing) side. When I emailed Florian, he OKed the use of a spacer on the non knurled bearing side. I have the generation of hubs which has the seals with the unrealistically tight tolerances so I had to mill the inside edge of the UCM down so that it wouldn’t rub on the seals.

Does it affect shifting at all?

Any idea if it’s possible to use it without a spacer? Can you just use loctite?

Sure, I prefer riding Ungunis, I like the reliability and simplicity. When I want to go fast, I ride my bike. The Gunis are heavy, fiddly, less fun to ride and require more maintenance, so only come out for unicycle races.

I’ve also had a Triton 26" Schlumpf since November, which I haven’t used yet…it was supposed to be raced this weekend but my race got cancelled because of severe storms. My 29" Schlumpf hasn’t been ridden for two years.

Actually, now you put it that way…I was trying to talk myself out of buying a Litespeed roadbike, since I’m not a competitive road bicyclist.

But I spend much more time and distance on two wheels for training and general fun riding…I do a few thousand kms on mine, rather than just a hundred or two.

Looks like an excuse for another toy :stuck_out_tongue:

yes I run one spacer at diskside,
yes I have the OK from Florian:)
No I have no issues with this setup and never heared about problems from any of my customers:)
Yes I give warranty for Triton / Schlumpf / Mountainuni setups I sell:)
Yes it will cause damage if you mount Schlumpf with violence - with any crankset. :angry:
Yes there has been some damage caused by incorrect mount of cranks at Schlumpf hub in the past :angry:

Yes you should ride more MU setups and discuss less about what would happen if you would ride it;):stuck_out_tongue:

any more questions?

The only difference shifting with rim brakes is that you can’t shift down while braking. Because the torque while braking is applied to the hub instead of the rim, you can’t shift then. (You can’t shift while torque is being applied to the hub.) This is not an issue at all for road riding, you just have to be aware of it. I think it could be an issue of road but Kris says is something that you can adjust to pretty easily.

Jogi - thanks for posting this info. I had my MU disk set up on my KH29 with my old Schlumpf hub, with spacers, and it all seemed to work fine. Good to hear Florian has OK’ed it.

What width hub and what size bearings fits the Triton 36 frame? Is it the 100mm

yes, Triton frame width is 100mm and using 22x42x12 bearings same as KH, Nimbus, QU-AX, …

I’ve been riding my 36er with the MountainUni disc brake both on and off-road for about a year now and this thing is awesome. It’s absurd how much better it is than a rim brake. I’ve never hit the disc on anything and I’ve never gotten caught on it; it stays cleanly out of the way.

I absolutely recommend it to anyone interested.

Are the new crank arms available yet?

No and unfortunately they’re not going to be by the sound of it.

Info’s a few pages back in the thread.

are people still buying these sets? I’m very happy with mine and it would be sad to see the company go under

Stil selling

We are still selling and delivering kits all over the world, delivering with new color schemes and a wide range of sizes. :-). Every customer gets as much post sale personalized attention needed to set up their brake system based on frame, caliper and UCM/brake tab required. Call, email or PMs all answered.