Mountain Mayhem '06 (UK 24hr race)

Yes thinking of, but also thinking that this will mean missing out on the whole ‘carnival’ atmosphere, and barely seeing anyone for the whole event. I’ll see how the numbers pan out, but at the moment a team place looks most appealing, and I’ll perhaps have a go at SITS solo instead. I’ve barely ridden this year so far due to my wrist.

Ooh, hello. I managed to miss this thread. Yes, yes. “Up”.

This should be a good reason to dust off the 29er and get some good muddy experience. It’s not so cold now, so most of the excuses are running out. Too much road cokering can’t be good in isolation.

I don’t have a posh lighting grid - hopefully there will be enough chance of semi-sadistic people only too happy to provide means and reasons for going out again at 3am? :slight_smile:

Sam

Not so cold now? My last 3 training rides have all generated cracking sounds as my wheel rolled over the ice, for some reason I am looking forward to doing this event again :astonished: hopefully it will warm slightly this week so I can get back into the mud training, frozen ruts are a nightmare.

As far as semi-sadistic is concerned, no problem you can borrow my lights again for when you start riding at 3am :stuck_out_tongue:

Keith

All places now taken

Just in case everyone thinks nothings happening - you’re wrong, as lots has been happening!

We’ve got 13 confirmed riders, which gives us the 3 teams, complete with 1 reserve.

I’ll post the list of riders once the reserve is confirmed. This will hopefully be later today.

Steve

Wahey, better start training.

Joe

Only 108 days to go, you’d better hurry! :slight_smile:

Phil

when do the teams have to be made definate?
just that i may do it solo depending on how some long rides feel on the knee over the next couple of weeks
cheers
Des

Hi Des,

Usually we get away with submitting our entry forms in a little later than the 2 wheeled lot. For whatever reason, Roger was hoping that we’d get our entry forms off while he’s away (that’s now). There’s a cheque waiting for me to send off at Unicycle.com as we speak (I’ve been told).

One option is to continue with our present plan of 12 riders and 1 reserve. If after a couple of weeks, you decide your knee is up for it, then apply to do it solo (assuming that’s not too late). We would then re-shuffle the teams around. I’m sure that wouldn’t be a problem.

BTW, did you get tickets for the rugby, or will we see you in Manchester for the hockey?

See you soon,
Steve

Slight technical hitch guys.

You’ll have to wait a little longer for a list of riders and details, as I’m waiting to hear from Roger on whether he’s prepared to enter 4 teams this year.

Hopefully he’ll reply overnight so I’ll be able to post tomorrow. :roll_eyes:

Steve

Ooooo you’re just doing that to build up the suspense… :slight_smile:

Phil

Going Solo

Des has confirmed that he’s going solo this year.

If anyone else has these masochistic tendencies for this year’s SSMM, then please let me know ASAP. :roll_eyes:

Steve

Waiting to hear from Roger still

I’m still waiting to hear from Roger regarding 3 or 4 teams. I can confirm the following though.

Solo riders

Des Devlin

Team riders

Roger Davies
Phil Himsworth
Steve Colligan
Joe Marshall
Mark Wiggins
Leo White
Joe McLean
Sam Wakeling
Keith Griffiths
Paul Royle
Sam Dobbie
Loosemoose

Reserve

Gary halford

Chris Dobbie is prepared to join the 4th team if we end up going that way.

I’ll be in touch soon.
Steve

Maybe in a year or two, if I’m not too old by then.

Cathy

SSMM is practically a “mountain bike festival” as much as it is a race; you could always come for the social side even if you aren’t racing. It’s a weekend of camping (for free!) in a nice part of the country with loads of unicyclists and loads going on all over the site.

One of the highlights from last year had nothing to do with riding at all; the London Philharmonic doing covers of well known songs was absolutely excellent, and I don’t doubt this year will be even better.

Phil

Maybe definately next year then :slight_smile:

Cathy

All is now confirmed

The list I posted yesterday is, in fact, the confirmed list of riders. We’ll be keeping it to the 3 teams and Des going solo. Hmmm… :roll_eyes:

I’ve done my best to split the teams up according to their speed/fitness/endurance/experience/etc/etc… Let us know if you’re not happy with the team I’ve put you in. It’s possible that you might be able to swap with someone else that’s also not happy with the selection. BTW, you’re only going to get a couple of days to let me know :stuck_out_tongue: .

The order of your name within each of the teams doesn’t reflect the order you’ll be riding in. That will be sorted out among yourselves, usually once we get to the event on the Friday.

A big thanks to Gary for being reserve. Knowing our luck over the last few years, he’ll be riding in the end.

We’ll be keeping to the same team names as the last 3 years. At this point I must apologise to Joe Marshall, assuming you’ll be riding your schlumpf. By the same score, I suppose I should apologise to the ones that have brakes also :p. Come to think of it, Roger has handlebars… :thinking: Maybe next year we should change our names. They were so pertinent years ago. Anyway, here they are:

Des Devlin going Solo

Unicycle.Com - No Gears

Roger Davies
Phil Himsworth
Steve Colligan
Joe Marshall

Unicycle.Com - No Handlebars

Mark Wiggins
Leo White
Joe McLean
Sam Wakeling

Unicycle.Com - No Brakes

Keith Griffiths
Paul Royle
Sam Dobbie
Loosemoose (I will need your real name)

Reserve

Gary halford

Can everyone email me their name (in the case of loosemoose), address (just in case this has changed from last year), date of birth and contact number (mobile if possible). I’ll also need everyone to sign a disclaimer on the entry form. The last couple of years we’ve done this by scanning your signature and emailing it to Roger or myself. We certainly have copies of last years entry forms, so if you did it last year, you won’t need to send it again (hopefully). I’ll get Joe’s signature tomorrow at the hockey. I think that leaves Sam W & Loosemoose. I know Sam W rode last year, but wasn’t down on the original entry forms, as he was reserve. Can you two guys find a way to scan them and email me?

steve.colligan@ntlworld.com

Once you’ve all emailed me with the above, we may as well drop this thread and correspond by email. I’ll email you everyone’s email address soon.

We’ll sort money out later. Roger will pay the entry fees up front, then mug you at the event for something towards it (last year this was £30). Des: you’ll have to talk to Roger about subsidising your solo efforts. I’ll have a word with Roger about whether he would like your solo entry form to accompany the team ones or not.

Anyway, that’s enough info for the moment, as I’ve got to get back to doing some work before I’m sacked :roll_eyes:

Loosemoose, Sam D and Gary: I’m sure you’re going to have a few questions to ask over the coming months. Between the rest of us I’m sure we can sort you out.

Steve

Signatures

Actually I’m going to need Joe McLean’s signature as well, as you weren’t on our entry forms last year. :roll_eyes:

Details

Hi there! Long time no typing! I am still alive, I’ve just been somewhat preoccupied recently :wink:

Question to Steve C; do you need my details, as I entered them last year if you remember?

Time for some training then… Coker with 110s is the way to do it!!.. or not for SSMM. I’m thinking of investing in a 29er :slight_smile:

Bye for now, Sam D

I don’t think using a coker is by any means a silly thing for this. If you have an off-road suitable coker, and are happy with it, then by all means go for it. It’s by no means technical, and the improved efficiency of being able to roll across bumpy grass etc with ease is a great benefit. Probably not the best for 110s though, what with the hills and all. 150s are common practice.

Note: I’ve barely ridden a coker off-road (mine’s a bit flimsy). I will likely be on my 29er at SSMM. But I’ve got great appreciation for the wonderfulness of cruising atop a big wheel.

Sam W

Loosemoose, where are you??

Note for Loosemoose:

We need your full name, address, date of birth, email address, contact phone number (mobile if you have one) and your signature for the disclaimer. Is it possible for you to scan your signature and email it to me with the rest of your details, as we can’t send the entry form off without it. Basically you’re signing to say that you understand that it’s a strenuous 24 hour race that involves riding at night and when tired. That you understand the risks, and that your riding skills are up to a test of endurance. Also that you won’t hold the organisers liable in the event of any mishap or injury.

I now have everyone Else’s details and the forms are filled in ready to be posted off. Please send your details ASAP Loosemoose, as last years event was sold out within a couple of days. BTW, the entry forms came out 2 weeks ago. :frowning:

Des: Roger will be helping you out with your fees. He’ll discuss this with you. Do you want to send your own entry form off, like Steve R & Joe McL did last year?

The event will cost the rest of us £30 each, as Roger will put the rest up. Incidentally, the cost for a team this year is £190, so I think Roger’s being very generous putting £70 toward each team. Unless he asks for the £30 before, then sort him out at the event itself.

So far there’s no mention of SSMM 2006 t-shirts. I wouldn’t know if it’s possible to pr-order, as I didn’t get any info through the post with the entry form.

I’m sure I don’t need to remind you all how strenuous this is. SO MAKE SURE YOU GET IN LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF TRAINING!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Once I get Loosemoose’s details, I’ll then confirm everyone’s current email addresses and mobile numbers to you all.

Gary: We’ll only need your details if/when you step in to replace someone. This can so easily be done at the event on the morning we register.

Team captains are Roger, Mark & Keith. I think you’ll also be a captain Des :roll_eyes: . All this actually means is that they’re the ones that will receive the riders pack (rules of the race) through the post. They are also the ones that receive any freebies at registration (to be dished out among the rest of the team I might just add). I think there was also some mention about them being a responsible person…:stuck_out_tongue:

That’s it for the mo.

Steve