motorized uni pic

Even though it may not be a working model, something like this could be built and still be rideable, but obviously not practical. I kind of doubt that whoever designed this had any sense of practicality in mind.

Although I’m no expert on antique motorcycles and transmission either, I have a good feeling that the transmission is built into the engine. Changing gears on this thing would seem ridiculous to me while riding, so I highly doubt that this setup would contain anything complicated like a five speed transmission, so the size would be relatively small. Also, do you notice the shifting linkage in front of the left footrest? :wink:

You are right about nthere being no sign of a brake system, but that doesn’t mean that it is not there. It’s very hard to tell what’s going on underneath the engine. The right brake could easily be located near the right footrest.

Don’t draw immediate conclusions John! I have a good feeling that this thing could run, and I’ll be willing to debate that with you. Also, assuming it is a working model, it all has to do with control. If you notice yourself falling forward, speed up a little bit, and simply release the throttle when you’re starting to fall back and the engine will hopefully catch you, or you could use a brake.

When people ask if it’s rideable, consider it a working machine, with a brake, simply because if someone were to make a working model, that’s how it would be made. That arguement is different from whether or not this particular model is working.

Here’s a different one that I found online a while back. I have a very similar motor to that sitting at home in our garage (or maybe it’s hidden in a shed somewhere…), now all I need is a big motorcycle wheel.

Spudman’s motor-uni has a better chance of being rideable. The engine weight is centered and below the axle, and the seat is centered above the axle. The handlebars might get in the way (of front dismounts) but I guess you have to put the throttle somewhere!

Something kind of like this. But this one look like it’s designed to balance with no rider on it. Add a rider and you’ll be way out of whack. I think of it as the prototype Embrio.

I think you’re right, which means the whole transmission is probably in there. Yikes. I’m not going past 2nd!

No doubt. The thing that’s missing is any sign of the actual brakes, probably because the cycle is built from existing parts (except the frame and mounts). Desigining a brake system would be a bit much for a display machine.

Video of a motorized unicycle in action. This one is much easier to learn because it’s a lot lighter, and has a small wheel. But it’s still a little dangerous getting used to it. When the thing is turned on, lifting the wheel off the ground causes it to spin wildly as it seeks to right itself. Also holding it upright takes some practice because if you tilt it to the front or rear it will roll in that direction until you get ahead of it…

OK so its a mono-wheel not a proper unicycle but this is what i want

Its actually street legal!

or the second version, built for speed

Picks from http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm

When i saw the thread name “Motorized Uni” i instantly thought of this. :smiley: :smiley: http://www.tlb.org/Park-all.lowbw.mpg

Agreed, and it looks much more practical to ride compared to the “stylish” one.

How would it be all out of wack? Surely the whole cycle would lean really far forward with a rider on it, but that doesn’t make it impossible to ride.

I wouldn’t even want to try shifting! :smiley:

If there are practicaly designed brakes on it, I would think that they would be located in the mechanism where power is applied to the wheel, which appeares to be with that white round thing in the rear. I kind of doubt that any other braking design would be very practical.

have you seen this site: http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm#why

Check this out. This guy looks like the only one who has really pulled off a proper motorised uni, and learned to ride it.

There’s a pretty impressive vid on te site too.

http://www.jackiechabanais.com/the_monocycle.htm

There is a video about of him crashing the first version at some speed, the whole thing jut starts to oscillate violently, hence the stability devices added later.

The Riot Wheel is by far my favourite of these contraptions, although hidiously complicated.