More questions

I have been practicing for about 45 minutes to an hour for 9 days and hit 90’ on my 9th day!!! I don’t know if that’s good, but the numbers matched so I’m happy about it. I’ve been using the curb to start on and was wondering if I should keep going for more confidence and distance or should I start concentrating on different starting techniques?

You’re doing a great job and have every reason to be proud of yourself. I would recommend going for more distance consistently before trying to freemount but do what you feel like. You’ll know when you need to learn different mounting techniques because you will have gone so far it becomes inconvenient to look for a curb, post, or tree to assist you.

When you get sick of walking back or finding something to assist your mounts, it’s time to try learning to mount. Not sure if you are there yet.

My first successful mount was the rollback mount. But before mastering it, I switched to the static mount (where the wheel doesn’t move). I liked it so much more, I haven’t tried the rollback mount again. Like you, I still need much practice riding, so I haven’t bothered to learn both mounts. My time is better spent practicing riding. But eventually I will learn many.

My nephew convinced me to try mounting. I was telling him my time was better spent practicing riding. But I finally gave in. Two hours later, I could mount once every ten tries. I was VERY grateful for his motivation. So…

My suggestion to you, since you seem to be learning fast, is to spend two hours trying to free-mount. That’s not including taking time to read all about it first. Try it – you might “get it” – or you might not. But the time won’t be wasted. And you won’t be stealing much time from your riding-practice. Then you will have a better feel for where to spend your time.

I assume you are standing on the curb so you are up higher AND using the curb so that the wheel doesn’t roll back? Perhaps an intermediate step would be to use a block of wood behind the wheel instead of a curb.

Try free-mounting! It’s not easy, but it might not be as hard as you think. And once you can mount, you can GO PLACES! Because when you UPD, you can just get back on and keep going! Imagine that – reaching your destination – whether it be around the block or around the yard. It liberates you.

Lastly, the better your riding skills and balance skills, the easier it will be to mount.

uni57 (Dave)
P.S. - Good luck!

s/curb/kerb/gm if $UK;

Your always ready to learn how to freemount. If you ever get frustrated with learning how to ride, just practice the freemout. Youll get it eventually. Also try to find a flat area, that might help, and actually slightly downhill might help with the freemount.

Hope it helps

Scott

P.S. Are you from S.A.?

Hey guys
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Last night on my 90 footer, I was riding uphill for the first time! I usually practice on level ground. I’m riding a generic 24" Summitt right now and expect my 20" Torker to arrive tonight. Being a little closer to the ground on the 20" I may start working on my mounts this weekend. I found a “how-to” section on muniac.com and the “static mount” looks good.

Scott, I am in San Antonio and have already spoken to Scott W. I may come out to O.P. this weekend

Good job Kenny! You’re gonna be on the trails in no time.
I would say start working on the rollback mount a little, and one day soon it will just click. If the weather gets better by the weekend we can meet at O.P. I think it will help you to be around some other unicyclists. I know it always accelerates my learning.

Scott Wallis

Getting younger by the ride.

the static mount leads u to getting onto stillstands more easily
the rollback seems to do the same for the idle

practise both

kaap having fun

:smiley:

:astonished:
Wow! That knocks the spots off a 28 incher, or even a Coker…

I have to ask what cranks you use? If it’s a 90 foot big wheel, I’d calculate 13,500 mm should about do it.

Unless you mean a 90 foot giraffe? :astonished: