Moon Saddle

Anyone hear about this saddle before?

http://www.moonsaddle.com/design.html

A biker on the trail today told me to look into it. I don’t know if it would really work for a unicycle, but it is interestesting none the less.

A biker on the trail is less likely to know what’s good for a unicyclist than another unicyclist. You really need something between your legs to ride a unicycle, unless you plan on holding your handle all the time. Even though I hold my handle most of the time, I know a seat like that won’t offer the support needed for comfortable unicycling. A good bicycle saddle already supports you on the sit bones. I think having a little something between your legs, long as it isn’t putting pressure on your centerline, is good even on a bike.

But I’d be interested to try one out, on a bike…

i have no idea why that’d be good on a bike, sure it looks good on paper, but you kinda need the nose of the saddle to steer. i’ve ridden similar things and found them very very odd and not much (if any) more comfortable than a regular bike seat.

Right, that was what I was thinking. It seems like you absoultely need something there to steer. I just thought it was an interesting idea. It probably feels really weird to ride on…even on a bike.

Try turning your uni-saddle sideways- It seems like that is what it would be like riding the moonsaddle. I guess I could see it being OK for a bike, as you are leaning forward and gripping the handlebars…

That’s be death on an MTB on tech downhill! You have to be able to slide back on your seat, even put your seat in front of you. Might be cool for cruising.

When you see cockamamie (not covered by my spell-checker) seats like that, they are almost always aimed at casual bicyclists. People who would ride a little more if their seats weren’t so uncomfortable. People who would rather buy an experimental seat than a pair of bike shorts. Heck, the seat might be cheaper; bike shorts can be expensive!

Why don’t you see pro riders (of any discipline) using them? Because such designs have been tried before, usually 100+ years ago, and they weren’t any better then. There’s a reason bike seats are shaped the way they are.

Unicycle seats, on the other hand, are still in the relatively early stages of development. It’s not that unicycles haven’t been around forever. and manufactured for over 50 years, but there has been little attention paid beyond making them cheap and somewhat durable. Until fairly recently!

When you see cockamamie (not covered by my spell-checker) seats like that, they are almost always aimed at casual bicyclists. People who would ride a little more if their seats weren’t so uncomfortable. People who would rather buy an experimental seat than a pair of bike shorts. Heck, the seat might be cheaper; bike shorts can be expensive!

Why don’t you see pro riders (of any discipline) using them? Because such designs have been tried before, usually 100+ years ago, and they weren’t any better then. There’s a reason bike seats are shaped the way they are.

Unicycle seats, on the other hand, are still in the relatively early stages of development. It’s not that unicycles haven’t been around forever. and manufactured for over 50 years, but there has been little attention paid beyond making them cheap and somewhat durable. Until fairly recently!

Pro riders always use these tiny little itsy bitsy things.

That saddle looks like someone stuck a banana in a seat and called it blue thunder.