Monster Uni: Post Your Fat Uni Here !

I am not planning any steep mountain rides with it so no brakes in the near future.

For now I will focus on deep sand & gravel. must wait next winter to test it in all kind of snow.

I will also try it in conventional ride just for fum.

And if I am brave enough, I might go and ride in mud next fall :smiley:

so this incited me to weight my FrankenMuni -> 6.3 kg
I find my tyre to be heavy (when going down steep hills)
So FrankenMuni is for single tracks in the woods But not for long mountain rides

There must be more people with fat unis out there surely?? I thought they would be really popular. They look great.

I tried to ride at a high pressure. Unicycle is riding and controlling well on the road. But the main advantage of fatuni for which it was created - LOW pressure - is lost in this case. Tire bounces off obstacles like popcorn on heating and very susceptible to puncture!:frowning:

Tire goes well on dry coating. Snow and mud - no comment!:slight_smile:

I got Surly Nate!

Maxxis High Roller 26x2.70˝ and Surly Nate

Weight is impressive! %)

Thanks! Your uni looks awesome! Love the color scheme. How does it roll compared to your smooth tire?

Finally got my 24" fat freewheel back from the bike shop. The brake is a little too grippy so I need to make some adjustments. I also need to experiment with tire pressure.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Much better! I LOVE my Fatty! :smiley:

A freewheel???!!! Please post videos. That’s going to be awesome.

the diggers latest …

Got my latest FUNI frame ready.
It’s an old Koxx TracMonster … modified.
There is clearance now for “5.something” :smiley:

Did my first real 4.8 ride today…love it :slight_smile:

Next thing is a brake and the Lou for the muddy season.

Frame.jpg

back.jpg

What color are the insides of your knees a couple days after a ride?

Red … Purple … Blue … Green … Yellow … :smiley:

Yep. There is some contact…but no big deal.
While sitting its no problem at all cause the knees are moving in front of the frame.
Riding in standing position bowlegs are usefull :slight_smile:
But its never realy a problem.

Is anybody riding these FUni’s on the soft deep sand?

I did all summer break. It’s incredible! You have to find the perfect tire pressure, and it can be a prolonged trial and error process, but once that ideal pressure is found, the tire really feels like it’s “floating” over everything. I took it on local beaches and unicycled on hard/wet sand (bordering the ocean water) and soft, deep sand (where the water doesn’t reach all year). The hard/wet sand was certainly easier (unless the water erosion caused camber) but the soft, deep sand was the most fun, especially down dunes. And you can hop around stuff without worrying about getting hurt! :slight_smile: I really enjoy beach riding. It allows me to have places to ride my fat unicycle all year round. Other than finding the correct tire pressure and having to thoroughly clean off the sand and salt water from my bearings, pedals, etc., the only other difficulty I found was that it requires a lot more energy to keep pedaling than it would on a hard-pack trail or muni terrain. I didn’t realize why I was so out of breath and tired after every beach ride until I took the unicycle back out on redwood trails and was able to ride for a lot more time and at greater distances. It takes a lot out of you, but it’s worth it, IMO. If you’re interested, here’s a video I posted a few weeks ago of my most recent beach riding: California Soul: Fat Tire Unicycling on Vimeo And Terry Peterson posted a video of his beach-riding adventures on his Nimbus Oregon.

@digger

good looking!

Thanks for the reply bwrightback, answers a lot of the questions I had.
The video was great!

It is still on my todo list as my last attempt wasn’t as deep as I hoped and the sand wasn’t perfectly dry.

However, it is a nice experience that reminded me of riding in fresh dry snow. And on the upside, sand is easier to find :smiley:

Took the beast out yesterday. Look how small it is in its original habitat :smiley: :smiley:

Where in Burlington are those trails, man? I’ve got to take a day trip and check them out.

The place is called Turning Mill (in Burlington, MA) and you can find the map of the trails on the NEMBA site I think. I attached a screenshot of the map. The red arrow marks the parking lot.

We can go and ride together if you want a guide (even though I don’t know every corner yet).