.MOI .MOD video types

hi! i got my new mac and i downloaded the trial for Adobe Premier.

but i ran into a few problems. when i first opened the application i chose to start a new project. but it gave me all these options.

it gave me a few options for each of these:
DV-PAL
DV-NTSC
DV-24P
HDV

i have no idea what these mean.

im filming in wide screen (16:9) and i dont own a fire wire.

i think the HDV means “hard disk video” but when i click on the drop down thingy nothing appears.

i finally just picked the wide screen (16:9) 32kHz option under DV-PAL
what do you know? another problem…

when i went to import clips from my camera it turns out that premier doesnt support .MOI and .MOD video files…

what do i do?

Riley

I think that HDV means High Definition Video… but I’m not sure…!

thats probably what it means.

DV denotes digital video.

PAL (Phase Alternating Line) is a color encoding system used in broadcast television systems in large parts of the world.

NTSC (National Television System Committee) is the analog television broadcast system used in the United States, Canada, Japan, Mexico, the Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, and some other countries. Television engineers I’ve worked with will tell you that NTSC acronym really stands for Never The Same Color :slight_smile:

24p refers to a video format that operates at a true 24 frames per second (or typically, 23.976 frames per second when using equipment based around NTSC frame rates) frame rate with progressive scanning (not interlaced).

It isn’t on your list, but ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee) is the digital television broadcast format which will replace the analog NTSC television broadcast system by February 17, 2009 in the United States and August 31, 2011 in Canada.

HDV
denotes high definition video. HDV stores 16:9 (that’s the “aspect ratio” - the length of the picture versus the height of the picture - standard definition TV is 4:3) high definition video on DV tapes, supporting both 720p and 1080i (NTSC and PAL).

so which one should i use?

Congrats on buying a good computer! :slight_smile:

I’d recommend using iMovie. You’ll have less trouble figuring out the settings.

corbin

I presume your making a unicycle video, because this is RSU! oh well, I don’t care :smiley:
I am currenly using Adobe premire to make my video, its cool software.

I am making mine in DV-NTSC, and there are options of
-standard 32kHz
-standard 48kHz- I’m using this one for my video, its ok for me.
-wide screen 32kHz
-wide screen 48kHz- [I]I presume this one would work for you.

[/I]I’m not quite sure what a fire wire does, but surely you can just use a USB and save them to your computer, then import them in to adobe.

I am not an expert though, so don’t take my advice as true fact, just try it!

Use Hdv

Use hdv and if you ever use a standard def camera use NTSC which is the North American standard.

I’ve heard that the easiest thing to do is capture the video from your camera to your computer using iMovie, then importing those clips into Premiere. I also highly recommend getting a firewire cable. Much faster, much better quality. You can find them for around $15 I think.

im using standard def.

and what about the .MOD .MOI files.

my computer wont even play them and when i go to import them into premier it wont let me select them.

bump

I just imported my clips into iMovie and apparently iMovie can recognize .moi and .mod. why cant adobe premier do it?

I’m wondering why you are using Premiere at all… Try Final Cut Pro.

i dont have final cut pro :frowning:
i took a class on final cut pro and Adobe after affects but i cant afford the software and my parents wont let me illegally download it…

does anyone have it on a disk or something the can loan me? ill send the disk back when i finish downloading it. remember i have a mac

i dont have final cut pro :frowning:
i took a class on final cut pro and Adobe after affects but i cant afford the software and my parents wont let me illegally download it…

does anyone have it on a disk or something they can loan me? ill send the disk back when i finish downloading it.
oh yeah and remember i have a mac

Probably because Premiere owns:p No just kidding, but it’s pretty sweet.

Haha , actually you’re right Isaac. Premiere is pretty comprable to FCP. I was only wondering why he was using Premiere on a Mac.

Probably because Premiere is cheaper, but is comparable?

As far as I know. I haven’t used Premiere for 5 years, but I like it when I used ot back in high school. Let’s just say that Window Movie Maker is to iMovie as Premiere is to Final Cut Pro.

I have always felt that it was mainly the operating system that made me choose Macs over Pc’s.

A big ‘sorry’ for the threadjack, OP.

so… can anyone loan me software?