Mar 26 Partly Cloudy 73°/41°
Sat
Mar 27 Partly Cloudy 68°/46°
Sun
Mar 28 Few Showers 65°/39°

Looking quite comfortable! (provided those Sunday showers are few) :sunglasses:

Andy

39 degrees is not comfortable!!!

i just got back from moab…it was in the high 80s and 90s every day, it was great, i rode slickrock on my MUni…hardest thing i have done in my life but definately the most gratifying…when we would cross where jeeps would be they would be cheering for me…it was awesome…i may be out there for the Munifest…i dunno…we will see…but the weather was good

That’s comfortable compared to one of the nights last year. I think it got below freezing. It was friggin cold. I have a sleeping bag that has a comfort level temperature of +15 degrees Fahrenheit and I was still chilled that night. I didn’t have the mummy bag properly cinched around my head.

Anyways, for anyone camping you’re going to want a good sleeping bag rated for cold temperatures. A blanket to put on top and an insulating sleeping pad would be good too.

The camping is fun, just be prepared to stay warm at night.

This year I’m in a motel.

I agree, it sounds like it’s too cold. So you should do it sometime in the summer, when I’m out of school and I can actually attend…
Sounds like soo much fun, I really wish I could’ve come. :frowning:

You don’t want to be there in the summer. It’s too damn hot during the day. In the summer you have to get up before dawn and be ready to start your ride as soon as it gets light enough to see. If your ride ends up going into the heat of the day you’re in trouble. The average high during the summer months is in the 90’s and it can get in to the 100’s. You can’t carry enough water to be able to ride in that kind of heat. Remember this is the desert. It’s dry.

Here’s a page with the average temperatures per month at Moab.

This time of year is a perfect time to go to Moab. Comfortable high temperatures, although it can get chilly at night. A slight risk of rain, but we’ve been lucky so far and it hasn’t raind on a Moab Muni Fest yet that I know of.

<too late to edit, sorry>

speaking of which, does anyone know when the 2004 California MUni Weekend is going to be?
My school starts on September 1, so I probably can’t come any time after then. It looks like it’s always after then, though… :frowning:
Well, I’ll just hypnotise my parents. It’ll work, you’ll see. I’ll be there.

How do you think I made it to the muni weekend? When John Hooten noticed that Tom Holub left some teenager at his house, his first words to me were “Do your parents know you’re here?” He went on and on interrogating me about how amazing it is that my parents trusted me to go 200 miles with a near stranger to go off-road unicycling with a bunch of complete strangers. I thought it was funny, and could understand where he was coming from. That’s about it. BTW, 39 degrees is freexing for me, because for the last 2 weeks, SF has had a nice wheather wave, temperatures topping out at 85, and bottoming out at 75. I’m loving it, and my unicycling skill is too.

My parents would never let me go somewhere with a near-stranger, unless they have personally met them, several times.
Meaning my parents always have to come, so it has to fit their schedule as well as mine.

The Moab weather sounds just right. For us non-campers at least.

This year’s California MUni Weekend will probably be September 3-5, 17-19, or 24-26. We plan to ride the trails at Northstar, which close at the end of September. There appears to be a downhill race on the 11-12 weekend, but Northstar doesn’t say a peep about summer events until late April.

California MUni Weekend schedule

If you ask me (though you didn’t), I’d say that I can definitely come on September 3-5 or 24-26, but only possibly on Sept. 17-19.

I’d really prefer September 3-5, or 24-26 if I can’t do 3-5.

Hey Tom, I like how you played off tacoing your 29er. You should have a ppicture of it as your avatar.:wink:

Sep 3-5 is Labor Day weekend. I already have other plans for that weekend.

September 3-5 would be just perfect for me.
But I’ll be hypnotising my parents anyway, so I’ll be there no matter what.

Back to Moab…
The latest report from Moab isn’t looking as good.
Friday: Partly Cloudy 76/44
Saturday: Isolated Thunder Storms 68/43
Sunday: Isolated T-Storms 77/44
At least it doesn’t sound like it’s going to rain a whole lot (Knock on wood…)
Does anyone know how Slickrock is after a rain storm? Is Slickrock actually slick?

Speaking as an Airhead, excuse me Atmospheric Scientist, I don’t get too excited about a weather report until about 48 hours out, so Thursday would be the day. I plan to check it out before we hit the road Thursday morning.

Disclaimer - I’m a Chemist not a Meteorologist.

Just bringing this back up to the top. Although Jim_Rob correctly pointed out that it’s still too early to accurately predict the weather, I thought I’d give everyone a heads-up.

Friday Partly Cloudy/Wind 83/47
Saturday Mostly Sunny 65/39
Sunday Mostly Sunny 64/42

It looks like the rain has gone away, but it may be cold, even during the day. Good for water conservation, but don’t forget to bring something warm to wear, even on the trails. And for those camping, bring an extra blanket.
Plus, it was somewhat cool last year, so I neglected to put on sunscreen. Big mistake. WEAR SUNSCREEN!

Heres a great weather link, they update in early am and around 3:00pm daily. A cold front is definetly going to pass over the area during the weekend, but my opinion is that it’s better to ride in the cool weather than the hot, like last weekend. The La Sal mountains typically squeeze the moisture out before the desert gets it.

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/ut/zone.html

UTZ027-251130-
ARCHES/GRAND FLAT-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF…MOAB…CASTLE VALLEY…THOMPSON SPRINGS
330 PM MST WED MAR 24 2004

.REST OF TONIGHT…PARTLY CLOUDY WITH ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE
EVENING THEN CLEARING. LOWS IN THE 40S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH
IN THE EVENING.
.THURSDAY…MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE 70S. SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15
MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.THURSDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE 40S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO
15 MPH IN THE EVENING.
.FRIDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE 70S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH.
.FRIDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 35 TO 45. WEST WINDS 10 TO 20
MPH.
.SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT…MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT
CHANCE OF SHOWERS. HIGHS IN THE 60S. LOWS 35 TO 45.
.SUNDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. HIGHS
IN THE 50S.
.SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 35 TO 45. HIGHS 55 TO
.MONDAY NIGHT…PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS 35 TO 45.
.TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY…PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS 65 TO 75. LOWS 35
TO 45.

One more cool weather link that has great models.This one is for Saturday 5PM. Check it out.

http://weather.unisys.com/mrf/4d/mrf_4panel_4d.html

Trippy!

65 degrees and mostly sunny sounds like brilliant riding weather to me, but you’re advice is good. That’s just the high and it might be pretty chilly in the morning or when the sun gets low later on.