Moab Question/Help Please!

For someone like me, who has never been to a munifest, let alone Moab, and also new to muni in general, what would the more experienced muni-ers and those who know the moab terrain rate the difficulty factor, on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the most demanding? And this would be a general rating, not just for experienced mountain rider. Also, will there be more than one trail path, maybe one especially for those who can’t yet handle the more challenging trails? I’ve been checking the munifest website but still no updated yet, so I am basically asking those who have been to moab. Thanks!:smiley:

You don’t need to worry about difficulty factor. A trail might be mostly rideable, with several spots you have to dismount and walk. I don’t think there is any trail that even the best rider would walk up/down at least a little.

Last year there was riders of all level, and age too. There was 6 and 7 year olds riding 20" Torker CX’s. There was a 61 year old man riding a schwinn. Just ride what you can, and don’t worry about walking parts of it. Besides, it lets you get a rest. :slight_smile:

Usually, the middle of the trail is a litte smoother/easier, with more trials and technical stuff on the sides.

And nobody is left behind, either. Everyone is nice, and everybody waits for everbody else. I guess unicyclists are a just a nice group of people.

Thanksfor those words of encouragement! And I agree with your last statement, above too! Thanks.:slight_smile:

you will be blown away by the Slickrock area, very smooth, grippy, hard, and rolling sandstone. It’s an unbelievable feeling on a mtn bike, this will be my first time on a muni. I’ve been on riding a muni since April so I’m pretty new to it also, we can ride together!

The trails are a blast with beautiful scenery and a huge variety of challenges. I personally can’t wait to get there.

I am really looking forward to going andto meeting all the other riders. The only thing that I have to decide is how to get there. My brother wants me to fly there in his 2-seater airplane from LA,CA. But I HATE flying, especially in a small plane like that. I only recently got up the nerve to fly with himto Catalina, but that was only a 20 minute flight! Moab will take about 6 hours! And then there’s the question of WHERE we can land; Might as well drive all the way if we have to drive 2 hours from the airport! If I drive, at least I can take MUCH more stuff, like all mu unis, food, clothes, maybe a tent, sleeping bag, etc. I would rather rent a hotel but I haven’t looked into that yet, plus availabitity might be a problem if I expect to find a place when I get there. :roll_eyes:

there is a small airport in Moab for private planes

You live in Torrance, CA. I have no idea what your trail experience is, but if you’ve ridden the MUni Weekend trails in Santa Barbara, you’ll have some idea. Moab is harder than that. Not harder terrain, but constant terrain and much higher altitude. …And it’s not all downhill!

Moab’s slickrock is about 1.5 times harder than riding most peoples’ “average” trail. Altitude around 5000’ slows you down, and the constant up, down, up, down wears you out. And when riding on solid rock, You have to pay much more attention than usual! It’s like going to MUni school.

But in our many years of hosting MUni Weekends here in Norther CA, I learned that most people want to go on the “hard” rides, so they can see the top riders in action. They don’t mind walking the technical parts.

So technical is not really an issue. Just remember to ride within your abilities and you’ll be fine. Not used to riding next to very big drops? Then walk. One rider at MUni Weekend was very lucky to walk out of the trail after a major fall off the trail!

What is an issue is distance. The Porcupine Rim, for instance, is a really long ride. If you’re not up to the mileage, opt for one of the turnaround courses. This is a choice you’ll be able to make mid-ride. You’ll know by the time you get to the Castle Valley overlook whether you should turn around or keep going.

So fitness level is key Moab is a harsh environment, with no options on trails like Porcupine Rim so only commit if you’re comfortable going the distance. There will be plenty of people around to help you figure this out as well.

thank you for the straight scoop on maob! Hearing actual details rather than vague generalties helps put things in a clearer perspective. Thanks to all!:smiley: