moab pics

This just isn’t fair, showing me all these pictures of what I missed!

This one in particular looks like paradise.

Andrew

d042.jpg

That spot is called “Jacobs Ladder” and isn’t really considered to be ridable. (although Kris said it was “totally ridable”) The rider is Corbin who has been riding for about a year. There’s a good reason I put down my uni and picked up my camera here.

Actually, according to the map I was looking at it’s called “Jackson’s Ladder.”

Cool pics mike! Can you send me the high quality ones??

–corbin

Tom, I believe that’s ‘Jacob’s Ladder’.

—Nathan

On Monday I went to the Moab visitor center, trying to figure out exactly where I’d ridden on Amasa Back the day before, and the map they had called it “Jackson’s Ladder.” It also called the singletrack on the other side of the Amasa Back trail “Jackson’s Trail” or something like that, but I think the local bikers call that section “Death On Your Left,” so there is probably a difference between the official name and the common name.

In Moab do you have to look out for snakes when riding and walking in spots like Jacob’s Ladder? It was really nice not having to worry about snakes when I was visiting NZ because there aren’t any there!

Andrew

There are poisonous snakes in the American southwest, but nothing nearly as dangerous as you’ll find in Australia. Despite plenty of riding in rattlesnake country, I have never seen one in the wild; they tend to avoid humans, and aren’t really terribly poisonous if you wind up getting bitten anyway. You’re probably more likely to get stung by a scorpion, but scorpion stings (I’m told) are just like a bad bee sting, unless you’re allergic.

Yeah, I saw that too. Maybe it just got morphed in the usage, because Jacob’s Ladder has deeper historical context and brand awareness.

I remember it being Jacob’s, too. At Moab 2004 I tried it, and I would say it’s semi-ridable. Most of it is doable, but in some spots the costs for failure are pretty high, making them not worth it.

We should have a super hi-res photo of the group shot in Moab soon. My friend Michael Hurst was shooting 13 Meg photos all around the practice loop. He’s a real pro. He is processing RAW format photos and preping everything prior to posting. My photos will be up real soon as well. Keep posting your photo links. I am preparing a photo links page for MMF05 at www.moabmunifest.com which should be up within a day, maybe even by tonight if the rain here keeps up.

Stay vertical.

rolf

Hey Rolf,what ever happened to the tv crew that was supposed to be there?Did they come?

Re. Adrenalina TV. They were scheduled to come to MMF05 but two days before the crew let me know they had been reassigned to something going on in Mexico. Short of a volcano erupting I don’t know what would be more interesting but then I am a bit biased. Thats the story.

I would have done more to get local coverage of the event had Adrenalina not expressed plans to cover it. As it turned out we got neither. Actually, from my perspective it was kind of nice not being pestered and side-tracked by too many media types. Perhaps next year we’ll turn their heads a bit harder… :roll_eyes:

Just trying to get my photos posted but need some help with some names. In first photo (51) does anyone know the guy on the left. In the second photo (58) does anyone know the guy in the red. Once I figure that out I can post. Thanks.

Your edit links didn’t work. Use these links instead:

Desktop Wallpaper: Free Trial! (51)
Desktop Wallpaper: Free Trial! (58)

I believe the rider in red on photo 58 is Corbin Dunn from Los Gatos, CA.

Also, the rider on the left in photo 40 is Robby Ridgeway from Unicycle.com.

I can confirm, the rider in red is Corbin…

I notice there’s a place called “Poison Spider Mesa” nearby… :slight_smile:

But then, there’s another spot which appears to be called “Three Penguins”, so the names may not be strictly accurate. I’m trying to avoid thinking about what is at “Elephant Butte”…

Phil

My Moab 2005 pics

Here are my digi pictures from Moab Muni Fest 2005. I had such a great time and met so many great people - Michael Grant (a great travel buddy and co-driver), Nick Brazzi, the Hotrums, Ed Hansen, John Payne, Mike from Black Hills, Jake from Rapid City, Catboy, and Daniel from Hawaii, to name just a few. Thank you so much to Rolf and Janeen for organizing the weekend so well!!

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/ReidJ?page=1

-Reid
Atlanta, GA