Miyata Stiffening Plate

Hello all,

I’ve posted in the past about a Miyata stiffening plate. My laser cutter took a little longer to make these than expected, but they’re finally finished.

If you’re not familiar with them, I’ll outline the basics:

• the plate replaces the original Miyata plate that sits on top of the plastic saddle base
  • has holes cut for all three of the Miyata bolts (not just 2)
  • also has holes cut for “Reeder” muni and GB Coker handles
  • stiffness is comparable to the carbon fiber base
  • final cost with mounting hardware should be under $10
  • they’ll be available from Unicycle.com in about a week

For pictures, see:

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun10

very cool…

gotta get one before I KO my seat base!:smiley:

I want one, I want one I want one!!

Re: Miyata Stiffening Plate

Hey George,
The plates look great! $10 sounds like a great deal! Any chance of making a thicker plate that runs the entire length of the seat? If you can do that for $20-25 I think you’d have a good alternative to the expensive carbon fiber base. I’ve paid $80 a piece to have several of my seats reinforced with a 1/4 inch steel plate that runs front to back. This was done before the CF seat bases were available and it was also for my “Old Style” Miyata seats which have a little different shape then the current ones. I prefer the Old Style seats for freestyle.

Re: Miyata Stiffening Plate

— gbarnes <gbarnes.a6ion@timelimit.unicyclist.com>
wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I’ve posted in the past about a Miyata stiffening
> plate. My laser
> cutter took a little longer to make these than
> expected, but they’re
> finally finished.
>
> If you’re not familiar with them, I’ll outline the
> basics:
>
> * the plate replaces the original Miyata plate that
> sits on top of the
> plastic saddle base
> * has holes cut for all three of the Miyata bolts
> (not just 2)
> * also has holes cut for “Reeder” muni and GB Coker
> handles
> * stiffness is comparable to the carbon fiber base
> * final cost with mounting hardware should be under
> $10
> * they’ll be available from Unicycle.com in about a
> week
>
> For pictures, see:
>
> http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun10
>
>
> –
> gbarnes
>

your about a month too late for me, but they seem like
a fantastic alternative to the CF base. Im sure ill be
orderting a few in the future. Thanks from all us
unicyclists who cant afford CF bases!

later

=====
Nick Cegelka

Pyrotechnick13@yahoo.com

NickLikesFire AIM

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance - Get real-time stock quotes

Awesome George! Way to go!

George,

Very awesome job! You turn out some great stuff. Keep it up.

The stiffness will be great but I have a thought and/or question about impact resistance or bending. I did a jump mount on my 24" once upon a time and landed on the front half of my Miyata seat (I weigh 285 lbs.). The seat folded in half and when I disassembled it, I found that the OEM metal plate had broken into three pieces. I realize that I put a bit more stress on the plate during my jump mount than the normal user will. Will this new plate help in those situations?

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

This plate is a lot thicker than the OEM Miyata. At 0.135" it’s a little over 1/8 of an inch thick. I’m confident that it won’t shatter as your OEM plate did.

I think the worst thing that could happen is that it would bend enough to deform. Then you’d have to take it off and bend it back. It would take a lot of force to do this… this kind of impact without the stiffener plate would probably snap the seat in half. One of the seat plates has been tested on a Coker ride across Iowa (by jshu99). My cousin also uses one on his trials unicycle. Both of these testers have dropped/crashed their unicycles many times. They’ve never had to take apart their saddle and bend the plate back.

Another piece of art. I plan on putting one on my freestyle Semcycle.

RE: Miyata Stiffening Plate

> I did a jump mount on my 24" once upon a
> time and landed on the front half of my Miyata seat (I weigh
> 285 lbs.). The seat folded in half and when I disassembled
> it, I found that the OEM metal plate had broken into three
> pieces. I realize that I put a bit more stress on the
> plate during my jump mount than the normal user will.
> Will this new plate help in those situations?

I’m not sure what you’re asking. Are you asking whether it will hold up to a
missed jump mount without breaking? Probably, within limits. But this means
it will be much more resistive than the seat you originally did this on. I’m
not sure you want that, either… :slight_smile:

The idea for a reinforced plate looks like a real simple, and sound one.
However I’m of the belief that your handle or other seat attachments should
be built off the seat post. This allows your seat to just be the lightweight
piece of plastic or whatever, that the factory intended. My Miyata seats
always used to break at the post. So with those older seats, reinforcing and
applying more torque to it would not solve the problem. So I’m for leaving
the seat alone, and building detachable handles and/or other devices off the
seat post.

Hopefully, Terrell Williams and I will get some designs worked out, and
share them with all of you for comment. The first one I’ll want is a handle
system for my new Coker Deluxe.

Stay on top,
John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
jfoss@unicycling.com

“Next time, I don’t want to camp the old fashioned way. I want the new and
improved way… WITH NO BEARS!!!” – 10 year old nephew Austin Miller, on
our recent camping experience (in a flimsy tent, with a bear trashing the
campsite outside)

This is the best news I’ve heard all day. I’ll be getting two. And I love that you said they will be available in a week. Imagine if you had told us about these a month ago. There would be plenty of “should I wait for the George Barnes Miyata plate?” posts to go with the “should I wait fo the Velo saddle?” posts. Having holes cut for all the different handles is awesome. This plate looks great.

RE: Miyata Stiffening Plate

I have broken almost every single peice on my unicycle, my plastic miyata
seat-base not being one of them… strange eh?

Dylan

All this talk make me very glad I am one of the few without a miyata seat! if yer creative, there are other options.

As you all know, or maybe not, I am George’s cousin. As he mentioned I ride with one of his stiffening plates. I do have a CF seat base but I use it on my Muni. When I got my trials uni George assembled it for me. It came with a plastic Miyata seat on it. When he put it together he put the stiffening plate on it. As I started to ride he mentioned he did this. It felt so much like my CF. After I rode for a while- we swaped the seats, for a standard miyata. There was an AMAZING difference. I highly recommend the stiffening plate!

-Aaron

What is the weight of this thing? I guess what I would like to know is what is the weight of the stock miyata base with the stiffener vs.the weight of a carbon fiber seat plate, alone.

Thank-you George. I will order one along with the GB handle this week! I will let you know how it works

dan

I think the weight of the stiffener plate alone is a bit less than half a pound.

I own 3 carbon fiber saddles. I’ve got lots of hours on them in all kinds of riding (namely trials, muni, and Coker riding). I would guess that any weight differences would be most noticeable to me during trials riding.

I assembled my cousin Aaron’s saddle with a stock plastic base, my stiffner plate, and one of my (“Reeder”) handles. Once mounted on his 20" Monty I took it out to my trials course. I pedal grabbed, hopped, gapped, etc just as well with his setup as I did with mine. I couldn’t tell a weight difference between Aaron’s saddle and my CF saddle.

I’ll be shipping the stiffener plates to Unicycle.com tomorrow. They should have them by the end of the week, or for sure first thing next week. If you want them to include the mounting hardware, you might give them a little more time.

I too, would like to thank George for contributing his time and efforts to make unicycling better. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Cheers!:smiley:

I have posted some pictures of the stiffener plate with all three handle possibilities installed. They can be found here:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gbarnes/miy_stiff/miy_stiff.html

Unicycle.com has the stiffener plates in stock. They sound like they are crazy busy catching up from the convention and being a little under staffed. You might give them at least a few days to set prices and find bolts before you try and order them. They’d probably prefer you wait until they add the plates to their website to order, but if you’re dying to get one, they might accommodate you.